Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

PLEASE READ 98 z28 cutting out & electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE READ 98 z28 cutting out & electrical issues?

I was on a straight stretch of road and floored it,, the speedo and tach started bouncing and the brake light and low trac light came on even though the tires didn't spin. the engine lost all power for a few seconds and the security light came on, it cut off the radio also and reset the trip but then it continued as normal..

a day later i make a u turn and fishtail it around to get up to speed,, after im at 50-60mph the tach and the speedo starts bouncing all around and the brake and low trac light comes on. engine doesn't cut out engine or radio but it reset the trip.

later that night im on a long straight away late at night with no cars around. i floor it around 60 mph..when i hit 100 the speedo and tach went all crazy but nothing reset or cut out. when i let off throttle speedo and tach were fine.

then today 3/29/15 i hit the gas to cut through traffic into a gas station and the radio cut off but nothing else happened.

when i left the gas station i had to make a u turn to head the right way to work and i didn't spin the tires but again under heavy acceleration the low trac and brake light came on and the engine cut out for a second. nothing else though.

im assuming its a ground? anyone have any idea where to start?

battery is secure. battery ground is secure. i cant feel where the other ground off the battery goes to on the underside of the engine.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Have you added any electrical components like light bulbs, audio equipment, or any other such items? If so, it sounds like you may have a pinched wire that can be causing these issues.

About a year ago, one of the wires that I ran from the engine bay to the interior got pinched and caused my gauges to jump around and then stop working. A blown fuse was the result of the pinched wire, and both were simple fixes that returned everything to normal.

Check your wiring, your grounds, and your connections. Then, check to see if your battery and alternator are functioning properly. Hopefully, you'll find a simple solution in one or more of these basic areas.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Z28RS
Have you added any electrical components like light bulbs, audio equipment, or any other such items? If so, it sounds like you may have a pinched wire that can be causing these issues.

About a year ago, one of the wires that I ran from the engine bay to the interior got pinched and caused my gauges to jump around and then stop working. A blown fuse was the result of the pinched wire, and both were simple fixes that returned everything to normal.

Check your wiring, your grounds, and your connections. Then, check to see if your battery and alternator are functioning properly. Hopefully, you'll find a simple solution in one or more of these basic areas.

Good luck!
I have not added anything

And now today when I first started it you couldn't even hear the exhaust. Somehow it started without making a noise and idled at 1.5k rpm or so for 15-20 seconds
I went to autozone to pick up stuff for rear diff fluid change and when I got in my car it wouldn't start. Sat there for 5 mins or so and it finally started
Old 04-01-2015, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would start by checking all the power and especially the ground connections. Check the battery terminals and make sure they don't have acid in them or make sure that they're not damaged. You may have to take a few connectors apart just to make sure that there is no corrosion.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:10 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny
I would start by checking all the power and especially the ground connections. Check the battery terminals and make sure they don't have acid in them or make sure that they're not damaged. You may have to take a few connectors apart just to make sure that there is no corrosion.
I say the BCM could be on its way out...
Old 04-01-2015, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the solder points on the bcm may have come apart, but I wouldn't think that would mess with the speedo or tach(they're pcm controlled)
Old 04-01-2015, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Well I got it up on a lift and a header bolt managed to find its way inbetween the starter and the starters hot wire. Removed it and hopefully no more issues. But I'm still thinking about bypassing the vats bc that would suck to get stranded sometime.

I'm going to do some research on the bcm. Doesn't hurt to check it

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ 98 z28 cutting out & electrical issues?