Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Problem with my 02SS

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with my 02SS

02 SS Camaro - ls1 6 speed stock except for a catback exhaust

Going down the road running 60mph or so and i feel a little surge/engine cutting in and out. Push in the clutch engine dies. Still rolling so let out on clutch and it fires back up with a big back fire out of the exhaust. Car was low on gas so I thought maybe that gauge was misreading so I pull in to next station (mile or so down the road) with it running fine for a little while then screwing up for a few seconds here and there before I got to the station. Fill it up and leave the station running fine, 1/2 mile down the road it starts surging again. This time I notice that the temp gauge is turning off and on like you turned the key off at the same time the engine is cutting out. Temp gauge falls engine cuts out, temp gauge comes up engine comes to life. No check engine lights on of any kind. It did this once at a stop sign if it started to die I could tap the throttle and it would respond to rev up but couldnt seem to find idle.

Any ideas guys?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

Bad ground. Check your battery connections as well.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had this exact problem, scared the **** out of me right at 90 miles into my 400 mile trip. pulled over, temp gauge was half un clipped the plastic was shot. changed it, never another problem. i had your exact issue word for word

Quick Reply: Problem with my 02SS