Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

How install an Air pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How install an Air pump

So, last November I got a 1999 Z28. The previous owner removed the EGR and air pump, but I need to install them again I pass my state emissions testing. Since I did not remove it I am unfamiliar with to install it. I did a few searches, read a few posts on how to remove it, but I still need a little help.

I know i need to remove the close out panel under the car, but I tried getting under there today and tried removing a couple bolts and stopped because the panel seemed really flimsy and about to break. Is that just how they naturally are? Should I be worried about breaking it?

Next, I realized today that the pump that I ordered didn't come with any bolts or anything, do I need bolts? How do I install it, does it attach to any thing?

And lastly, I want to clean the air pump I ordered up a little bit, it looks almost as if it has dried road salt or something on it, is there any special way to clean it? Thanks you in advance!

Dirty air pump:
Attached Thumbnails How install an Air pump-photo4294966783.jpg  
Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need 4 bolts to mount the air pump the the bracket that is behind the drivers headlight. From there it is a matter of running the hoses one connects to the larger hole in the pump and to the air lid (slp intake) the other runs up the drivers fender behind the brake booster and to the valve located on the back of the drivers valve cover. From that valve it breaks and a hose runs to each exhaust manifold. You will need a total of 8 bolts. Four for the mounting of the pump and two for each manifold. Also you'll need to connect a vacuum line from the valve body to a t fitting on the back of the intake (hvac line also connects to the t fitting then to the back of the intake)

I know that's like bullet points but let me know if you have question. I just removed mine yesterday.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Almost forgot don't worry about the close out panel that's how they are. Mine flexed a lot until the bolt finally started loosening. Just keep your eye on it when your going.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Default How install an Air pump

Thank you! I guess my problem now is that there is only one hose attached to the pump. I'm guessing the bolts are 10mm? Any idea on the lengths? There are some fittings for a couple of plugs on it, Any idea what plugs into them?
Attached Thumbnails How install an Air pump-photo821.jpg   How install an Air pump-photo276.jpg   How install an Air pump-photo4294967201.jpg  
Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

The bolts are probably an inch and a half long or so. As for the plugs they attach to a harness. Unbolt the bottom cover and fish around for the harness connectors. If you need the bolts or hoses let me know I have them. Just pm me. You cover shipping and they are yours. Can have the pump too.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Okay, so I still haven't gotten around to installing the air pump. I haven't done much to the car at all lately because the trans went out about a month ago. I should have some free time coming up to install it, though. Plus, I need to get my car emissions tested be I can renew my license plates, which expire on the 31. So I better make time for it so I can go do that once the trans is fixed. I just had a quick question.
Yesterday I decided to swap my stock bellow for a smooth bellow, clean my MAF, swap in my SLP lid, and throw in a new air filter, figured it'd be somewhat quick and easy. My question is about the hole that the air pump plugs into. Since my car is a 99 the lid came with a plug to fill the hole, but, as it was mentioned in this thread, I need to plug the pump to the lid. What is the best way to do this? I've seen some other threads on here about this, but it seems they are all for 00-02 cars. And I didn't understand some if the responses. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-21-2015, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

This is the factory "connector" that hooks the air pump hose to the lid.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Thank you! Would you by chance know of where I could find one?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

http://www.slponline.com/instructions/21045.pdf

This explains the parts and I am sure a local hardware store would have everything. If you can wait a few days Ill send the one I have out to you in the mail.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Thank you, I appreciate your offer. If I were to get stuff at a hardware store I'm guessing I'd just need a 90* connector (measured to the proper size), and a couple of rubber grommets?
Old 10-23-2015, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

I would just take the hose and that goes to the airbox find a 90 that fits that hose. Then get a rubber grommet for the airbox and also a clamp for the hose and you should be good to go
Old 10-24-2015, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Haven't gotten around to getting the connector yet, just been busy. Hopefully taking the car to get the trans fixed this week.

Tonight I was trying to assemble the the air pump and hoses so I could get an idea of how everything went for when I install it, but I ran into an issue. There was one hoes I couldn't figure out how to put together. It's the short one on the far left if the picture, between the actual air pump and the hoses that go to the manifolds. One side of it fits on the connector to the manifold connector, but the opening on the other side is to big for the connector on the air pump. Do I have it in the wrong position?

The other picture is what I was going off of for the mock up
Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

I guess the pictures didn't post, whoops.
Attached Thumbnails How install an Air pump-photo761.jpg   How install an Air pump-photo776.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

Should only be two hoses that connect to the Air pump. One from the air lid draws fresh air to the air pump. Then the long hose runs from the air pump to the valve that feeds the exhaust manifolds.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

I only have two hoses connected to the pump. The long hose coming from the pump, the one that goes to the manifolds, has a plastic connector on the end, it looks like it goes to an open hose. The hoes coming from the manifold valve, the one the goes to the pump, also has a connector that goes to a hose. I have an extra hose (the one on the far left that's not connected to anything), one side will fit on the connector coming from the manifolds, but the connector coming from the pump is too small to fit snug into the extra hose. Am I missing something?
Old 10-27-2015, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

I dont think you are missing anything its just a matter of having the hoses laid out right. Keep in mind the hoses on the pump will need clamps. What may make it easier is to start laying the hoses out on the car to see which fits where. The long straight one will go down the drivers fender.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

I think I know what I did wrong now, thank you. I dropped my car off to get my transmission fixed today, so I'm going to try and lay things out when I get it back
Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Going to try and get to the hardware store today for the 90* connector and a grommet for the air lid. What exactly would I need a clamp for? To hold the hose to the lid?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

From the factory there are two clamps that hold the hoses to the air pump. There is not one that holds the hose to the air lid. I would take the hose with you and get a 90 degree fitting that fits the hose tight.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I'm really sorry for all of the questions, but the hardware store only had connectors like this. I realize it's bigger than the one in your picture, but could it still work?

Edit: the connector is bigger has a whole, it fits the hose well

Last edited by adray96; 11-02-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Quick Reply: How install an Air pump