Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My 99 Camaro build

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing directions on the trans. I ended up with a free powerglide and after doing some research. They can be great behind turbo LS cars. Plus, they’ve been around forever and have proven themselves in the race seen. I’m debating on using this just for mock up or attempting to rebuild it myself. From what I hear and have been reading they’re really easy to build.

Also, on the update. Cleaning and fitting the stock wiring harness. Definitely got a boost of motivation now the engine is in the car. Still scratching my head on what manifolds to run. I’m even thinking about biting the bullet on the Huron twin turbo hot side kit. But I don’t like where they place the turbos.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Both turbos are in!!!
Old 11-27-2018, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Moving right along. I have to re cut the lower rad support and drop everything about an inch to clear the hood. But things are fitting nicely

Old 11-27-2018, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleLanter
Has anyone installed a cage and more so, anyone done it for the first time? Just looking for advice, I'm thinking about tackling this job on my own. I've never welded, but I learn pretty quick. Thanks again

I'm a welder by trade, DON'T TRY TO LEARN TO WELD ON A CAGE, IT'S THERE TO PROTECT YOUR LIFE, NOT A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
I'm a welder by trade, DON'T TRY TO LEARN TO WELD ON A CAGE, IT'S THERE TO PROTECT YOUR LIFE, NOT A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT.
yeah, I ended up taking the car to a friend garage who knows how to weld. It was a great learning experience, but there’s no way I would’ve been able to do it properly the first time. I am practicing on little jobs, like making brackets to hang the intercooler and relocating the radiator. All that is challenging enough.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Right on brother, thats the spirit. I saw that and kinda freaked, glad you let your buddy help you, no sense in being a statistic. Car looks good man keep up the good work, if I was closer I'd bring the beer,

Later Mike.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
Right on brother, thats the spirit. I saw that and kinda freaked, glad you let your buddy help you, no sense in being a statistic. Car looks good man keep up the good work, if I was closer I'd bring the beer,

Later Mike.
Thanks, for the positive feedback. 👍 I have a goal to fire this thing up around February March and on the road by next fall for the OC md car show. So, hopefully this build will start picking up speed. Just need to get through the holidays. Lol
Old 11-27-2018, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,381 Posts

I hope you share a clip of your breathing dragon when it comes to life. Nice build there! What exhaust manifolds did you end up going with?
Old 11-27-2018, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I hope you share a clip of your breathing dragon when it comes to life. Nice build there! What exhaust manifolds did you end up going with?
they are made by XS Power. I bought them off of Amazon. They say they’re specific for the 4th gen fbody, but I had to dent the driver side a little to clear the stearing shaft (Not a lot). They were under 300 and the quality is surprisingly good.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainSavage

they are made by XS Power. I bought them off of Amazon. They say they’re specific for the 4th gen fbody, but I had to dent the driver side a little to clear the stearing shaft (Not a lot). They were under 300 and the quality is surprisingly good.
why doesn't anybody make headers we don't have to dent and not be stupid expensive
Old 12-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RS2SSxLS2
why doesn't anybody make headers we don't have to dent and not be stupid expensive
I agree, but I guess I’ll take these over paying a grand for a “perfect fit”. After watching the roadkill episode where they dented the headers and lost no power, I think I can live with a small dent and fatter pockets. Haha
Old 04-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Update!! Still at it. I haven’t posted anything in a while due to it just being me trying to figure out the wiring. I’ve been working on rewireing the car to work without the BcM and so far have been successful at getting wipers, the stock cluster, power windows and lights to work. I have both the hot side and cold side of the turbo mocked up. Just working on how to get the 4” downpipes to mate with the dual 3” exhaust. Slow and steady. Hopefully this thing will be firing in the next few months. All I need to do now is build a fuel system and button up some electronics. 🤞

Last edited by CaptainSavage; 04-20-2019 at 11:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
99MERICA (07-14-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks awesome. This is what I plan on doing with my 99 V6 car as well, but slower, and in stages. I plan on getting a 5.3L in and driving, then maybe adding the Huron speed twin kit, and building a forged motor as funds allow. All while doing things like the tubular k frame and other related things.
Old 05-12-2019, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Captain,

I’m new here and this is one of the first threads I clicked on. You have done an amazing job thus far. I can’t wait for the continuation to see everything finally come together. I just got a 00 Z28 and am only pulling the LS1 to build up and replace the stock 4L60E with a T56 setup. Nothing like what you have accomplished but you have given me even more motivation.

Keep up the the outstanding Work!
Mat
Old 07-20-2019, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mason90
It looks awesome. This is what I plan on doing with my 99 V6 car as well, but slower, and in stages. I plan on getting a 5.3L in and driving, then maybe adding the Huron speed twin kit, and building a forged motor as funds allow. All while doing things like the tubular k frame and other related things.
Thanks! It’s slow moving for me as well, I’m hoping to pick up speed, but life always slows things down. Small amounts of progress, is still progress. If you create a build thread, let me know. I’d definitely like to follow along.

Originally Posted by Z28_Demon
Captain,

I’m new here and this is one of the first threads I clicked on. You have done an amazing job thus far. I can’t wait for the continuation to see everything finally come together. I just got a 00 Z28 and am only pulling the LS1 to build up and replace the stock 4L60E with a T56 setup. Nothing like what you have accomplished but you have given me even more motivation.

Keep up the the outstanding Work!
Mat
Thanks Mat, glad I could motivate you on your project. One of the great things readings these threads. You get great ideas and sometimes the push you need to get going. I look forward to seeing your build
Z28_Demon (07-23-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainSavage
Thanks! It’s slow moving for me as well, I’m hoping to pick up speed, but life always slows things down. Small amounts of progress, is still progress. If you create a build thread, let me know. I’d definitely like to follow along.
I have a build thread started, but so far I have dragged it home, shoved it in the shed, bought an LS factory K member and pulled the engine out of a Yukon for it. I’m trying to decide if DBW is worth it since I’ll be running a terminator in it most likely and they don’t use the truck peddle or early truck DBW throttle body so both those parts I have are useless with a terminator.
Z28_Demon (07-23-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

So I finally pulled the plug and purchased a big item for my build. I ditched the powerglide and went with a turbo 400 with a transbrake. Anyone have any recommendations for a converter? I’m looking to be in the 3800-4000rpm stall range.

Old 10-19-2019, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Ordered the fuels system, started mocking up the down pipes, and purchased a center section for my rear. Tired of sitting on this project. Goal is to have a running and driving car by May 2020. Let’s get at it.

PS, don’t be too harsh on my welds. (LoL)

Last edited by CaptainSavage; 10-19-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Things have been slow, knocking out wiring still (actually rewiring). I didn’t like the original rats nest that I created, so I cleaned it up and created a PDF of the wiring for my car, to make it easier in the future if I end up having issues. So I created this relay panel, which cut down on the wire mess I had. I’ll take pics of the final product when done.

I also bought a TIG machine and have been teaching myself to weld. I finally had an ah hah Moment the other day and am able to weld Aluminum (woot woot!). Now the welds are far from perfect and I’ll probably redo them when I get better, but it’s a step in the right direction

i also, just picked up a true dual axle dump setup for $150. My fuel lines, Hobbs switch, and walbro 450s came in. So I’ll be throwing Them in soon. Good progress

Last edited by CaptainSavage; 12-08-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I’ve hit a road block. I’m trying to wire the tach signal pin #10 red connector from the PCM to my stock gauges. These are the stock 99 V6 gauges. I’ve looked at the pin out schematics for the gauge cluster and I don’t see anything that says tach input. How do the guages receive their info for RPM read out?

Quick Reply: My 99 Camaro build