Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

LT1 upgrade on 98 LS1 - Trouble warming up now?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 upgrade on 98 LS1 - Trouble warming up now?

I didn't see this asked on the forums, so:

I upgraded my 98 z28's radiator to an LT1 radiator. I also replaced hoses, thermostat, and temp sensor.

The problem now is that the car won't really reach operating temperature while driving. On idle, there's no issues (reaches temp, fans turn on, etc).

On the dash guage, it won't go past the 180-185 mark driving. Just wondering if this was normal for others that have done this upgrade. I didn't have this issue with the stock ls1 radiator.

I know the temp guages on these cars aren't that accurate, but it seems a bit odd to me. I haven't hooked up a scanner yet to get a better reading.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

i think this is normal. the lt1 radiator cools better, so it would make sense that the driving temp would be less. what t-stat did you use? the temp sensor could be off. reistall the original one and see what it reads
Old 01-08-2016, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cajun ELESS-ONE
i think this is normal. the lt1 radiator cools better, so it would make sense that the driving temp would be less. what t-stat did you use? the temp sensor could be off. reistall the original one and see what it reads
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I assumed the LT1 would be cooler but I didn't expect such a big difference! lol.

I used a 185 degree thermostat for it. Hopefully I can get a better reading with a scanner to see a more accurate temp.

Do you think running at 185~ is too lean?

Quick Reply: LT1 upgrade on 98 LS1 - Trouble warming up now?