Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

01 Camaro Z28 vibration/noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Camaro Z28 vibration/noise

Hey everyone, new to posting here, but love all the great advice/threads I have made good use of on this site. I currently have a problem with my 01 z28. Between the speeds of 10-20 mph, I get a rotational kind of noise/feeling from what feels like the drive train or transmission area. It doesn't do it from 0-10 mph, or anywhere over 20 mph. I've shut the car off at that speed and still feel it while coasting, and can rev it as high as I want in neutral, no noise. I didn't have this problem til I drove through about a foot of standing water awhile back, and have driven myself crazy trying to figure it out. I've brought it in twice, been told it was a bent rim, replaced that, and the wheel bearings. I would greatly appreciate any help/points in the right direction! Thank you for your time reading this.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i chased a problem like this a while back on my mustang,ended up being the input yoke on the drive shaft. just bought a new driveshaft complete.problem solved. is it a m6? have you checked your trans mount? and your u joints?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Thank you very much for the reply, for some reason it never told me anyone replied to my post. Anyways, yea, a shop told me my u joints were tight and good, but isn't there parts that could still be bad inside? Like pins of some kind? I'm by no means a driveline expert, but it certainly feels and sounds like that's where the noise/rumble is coming from. It's the automatic transmission with overdrive, I just don't know if it would be transmission mounts since it does it in neutral too, even coasting with the car shut off?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camarojay182
Thank you very much for the reply, for some reason it never told me anyone replied to my post. Anyways, yea, a shop told me my u joints were tight and good, but isn't there parts that could still be bad inside? Like pins of some kind? I'm by no means a driveline expert, but it certainly feels and sounds like that's where the noise/rumble is coming from. It's the automatic transmission with overdrive, I just don't know if it would be transmission mounts since it does it in neutral too, even coasting with the car shut off?
Ok if you can get access to another driveshaft swap it out see what happens. It could be the yoke also a issue I had rolling in neutral car off..if you can grab a used ds just to try, you might solve your problems keep updated!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Sounds to me like a driveshaft/ u-joint issue to me.

Did the shop you went to not suggest anything that could be defective?
Old 04-22-2016, 04:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help and ideas every one, I appreciate it. I got it back, and the guy showed me the inside parts of both front tires kinda hopping while in motion, put 2 new tires on the front,and smooth as silk driving again!
Old 04-22-2016, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camarojay182
Thanks for all the help and ideas every one, I appreciate it. I got it back, and the guy showed me the inside parts of both front tires kinda hopping while in motion, put 2 new tires on the front,and smooth as silk driving again!
Nice!! I love when it's just a tire problem! Good to hear!

Quick Reply: 01 Camaro Z28 vibration/noise