Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Picking up a 96 SS and had a question about a rumor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Picking up a 96 SS and had a question about a rumor

Is it true some of the early 1996 SS cars(first 150ish) had extrude honed exhaust or intake manifolds? I heard they stopped it due to lack of gain and money involved.
Why did some have color keyed tops and others black?
Car I am getting is 0169. Has Torsen rear,hurst shifter,level 2 suspension and car cover as slp options.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Is it true some of the early 1996 SS cars(first 150ish) had extrude honed exhaust or intake manifolds? I heard they stopped it due to lack of gain and money involved.
I've also heard this, though I've never personally verified it. A good friend of mine factory ordered a new '96 SS and was told the same at that time. He never removed them to check though.

Why did some have color keyed tops and others black?
During this time Z28 or SS Camaros could be ordered with a body colored roof, under RPO "D82" (Monochromatic Roof.) The standard roof treatment for those trim levels was black, but during that period D82 was optional on those trim levels.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Might explain why that test car in red back in 96 was almost as fast as the LT4 car.Mine is an early one and I would love to know. However taking off manifolds on these cars are a PITA. I am tempted to drop the sub frame to do it

Thank you for the info
Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might explain why that test car in red back in 96 was almost as fast as the LT4 car.Mine is an early one and I would love to know. However taking off manifolds on these cars are a PITA. I am tempted to drop the sub frame to do it

Thank you for the info
Get a nice pair of LPP Stainless headers that would give you a good reason to pull them off...you could preserve the manifolds and get some good gains while your at it

Quick Reply: Picking up a 96 SS and had a question about a rumor