Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Bump stops

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 04:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bump stops

So my question is : I have a 99 SS with the SLP sport suspension package level 2 ( Bilstein) and from what I have narrowed down is that when I'm hard on the throttle the car squats and hits the stops has anyone removed the stops ? Will it hit the rear end ? It squats pretty hard because of the increased HP it's far from stock it might seem like a dumb question but before I took them off I was wondering if anyone has ever removed or cut them ? Any information would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-04-2017, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

When you finally get your suspension dialed in. It should not collapse at all. We have no bump stops. It never bottoms out the shocks. The only squat in the rear should be from the tires wrapping up from the launch.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply , it seems that the bilstein springs and my shocks might be done! I wonder how long something like that would last? Any idea? This is the original level 2 suspension package that SLP added in 99 from what I understand and according to SLP it was the Level 2 Bilstein package
Originally Posted by TTur1996
When you finally get your suspension dialed in. It should not collapse at all. We have no bump stops. It never bottoms out the shocks. The only squat in the rear should be from the tires wrapping up from the launch.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Redfearn
So my question is : I have a 99 SS with the SLP sport suspension package level 2 ( Bilstein) and from what I have narrowed down is that when I'm hard on the throttle the car squats and hits the stops has anyone removed the stops ? Will it hit the rear end ? It squats pretty hard because of the increased HP it's far from stock it might seem like a dumb question but before I took them off I was wondering if anyone has ever removed or cut them ? Any information would be greatly appreciated
What makes you think you are hitting the bumpstops when launching? Did you actually verify with a gopro mounted under the car or are you just assuming?
Either way if you remove the bumpstops that give the torque arm a chance to punch a hole in your floor boards, this has happened before on here.
Your wheels and tires can also come in contact with the body of the car if they are any wider than stock too.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

I guess by the way I read your comment maybe it was a stupid question ? I'm not a 100% certain but what I assumed and observed was the bump stops seem to have been smashed by looking at the fresh cracks in the old workout urethane bumps ( I think that's what they are made of) so my logical guess was that from the cracks and the fresh rub mark on the rear end I just assumed it was hitting. I appreciate the information on the torque arm that was exactly the kinda of information needed I'm still learning all of this as I continue to build my car . Thank for replying
Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What makes you think you are hitting the bumpstops when launching? Did you actually verify with a gopro mounted under the car or are you just assuming?
Either way if you remove the bumpstops that give the torque arm a chance to punch a hole in your floor boards, this has happened before on here.
Your wheels and tires can also come in contact with the body of the car if they are any wider than stock too.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark the stops with some chalk and see if they mark the axle or use a gopro. Unless you know the car doesn't try to hit the bump stops because you have enough anti-squat you wouldn't want to remove them. The other things that will hit without them will probably cost money to fix. One things is the stock brake hose mount on the axle will likely hit. If they are to harsh and not rubber then you could swap them for rubber. The urethane bumps usually go on with spacer adapters that move them down and you can get them to bolt on with no spacers after a little grinder work.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Very simple. Have someone video your launch from the side. Watch the space between the wheel well and tire. If the wheel well goes down at all to the tire. You are out of adjustment. It should stay rock solid. If anything it may separate an inch at most. But for it to be perfect it should not collapse or separate at all. We drive our car all over on country roads. We only have single adjustable QA1's and are running a S60. It never bottoms out or hits anything. And our car sits pretty low. The only way to get the 28-10.5-15's to fit comfortably without hitting anything is to get rid of the bump stops. If your worried about it. You can get some after market ones and put them on. Or just get the suspension under control prior to removing them.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:10 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me . It's awesome to have a place where you can ask like minded people questions and not feel like an idiot . I am gonna take your advice and do all of the suggestions and I will let you guys know the outcome .. Thanks again for all the help
Originally Posted by TTur1996
Very simple. Have someone video your launch from the side. Watch the space between the wheel well and tire. If the wheel well goes down at all to the tire. You are out of adjustment. It should stay rock solid. If anything it may separate an inch at most. But for it to be perfect it should not collapse or separate at all. We drive our car all over on country roads. We only have single adjustable QA1's and are running a S60. It never bottoms out or hits anything. And our car sits pretty low. The only way to get the 28-10.5-15's to fit comfortably without hitting anything is to get rid of the bump stops. If your worried about it. You can get some after market ones and put them on. Or just get the suspension under control prior to removing them.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Redfearn
I guess by the way I read your comment maybe it was a stupid question ? I'm not a 100% certain but what I assumed and observed was the bump stops seem to have been smashed by looking at the fresh cracks in the old workout urethane bumps ( I think that's what they are made of) so my logical guess was that from the cracks and the fresh rub mark on the rear end I just assumed it was hitting. I appreciate the information on the torque arm that was exactly the kinda of information needed I'm still learning all of this as I continue to build my car . Thank for replying
Not a stupid question, I just doubt you are hitting them when launching. And even if you are its probably not hard or anything to worry about. Hitting the bumpstops is a normal part of suspension, they are there for a reason and you probably hit them more than what you think, and that doesn't mean when you hit them its a jarring hit, it can be a light touch too (which is more common).
With your car being over 18 years old the poor quality foam bumpstops are going to be cracked and falling apart. You can probably grab them with your hand and crumble them, unfortunately that is normal for the stock later 4th gen bumpstops at this age. 3rd gens (and early 4th gens I think) got real rubber bumps stops and they actually last a long time.
Something else you can do that will actually help your ride quality a little it to remove the spacer between the bumpstop and the mount on the car. You will gain a little suspension travel with no down side.

Quick Reply: Bump stops