Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2001 camaro 3800 v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 camaro 3800 v6

Crank but no spark. Changed crank position sensor. Still no spark. Test ignition control module. It tested good. I was told engine control module or computer was only other part that controls spark. Is that true? Changing parts is expensive if that doesn't solve problems. Please help.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
Crank but no spark. Changed crank position sensor. Still no spark. Test ignition control module. It tested good. I was told engine control module or computer was only other part that controls spark. Is that true? Changing parts is expensive if that doesn't solve problems. Please help.
Well, yea. That's why you're supposed to diagnose your problem, not throw parts at it. Honestly, the best thing you can do is snag a factory service manual for your 2001 Camaro. There is one for a 2000 hosted here that you can download for free. There weren't many differences between 2000 and 2001, so for your issue it would probably still be helpful. Since it's a slow day at the office, I'll even give you the page number in the PDF that starts to cover the "Engine Cranks, but Does Not Run" section: Page 1614.

The nice thing about these factory service manuals is that they are put together by the engineers who designed and built these cars, so they know how all the systems interact and what steps you should do (in the proper order) to track down the root of your problem. Even if you were to give up and take it to a mechanic, they would rely on service manuals like these to diagnose and repair your car. Good luck!

Last edited by TechCam97; 10-17-2017 at 02:32 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 camaro 3800 v6