Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Anyone Know A Good Basic Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone Know A Good Basic Wiring Harness

I have a 1974 Camaro that I am building. Most non-needed parts have been taken out. I need to see if anyone can recommend a good wiring harness.

The setup is Optima Yellow Top mounted in trunk, no AC, no power windows, no power seats, push button start. 350/400. Separate Sunpro and Equuis gauges, blower motor and all AC vents have been removed, manual carb choke, 6 speaker stereo system.

I looked at Painless, and the whole wiring kit was close to $1000!

I bought the whole car for $1000 running and was looking at spending around $400 on a harness. Considering how basic the setup is, I feel like that should be do-able.

I bought the car from someone of questionable character and wiring knowledge. This seems to be the only part of the car that really needs a lot of attention. For $1000 I might as well track all the bad wiring myself. But for around $400 I can easily justify taking all wiring out and starting from scratch.

Thanks for all your help. It has been a while since I posted here.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try pricing out the parts you would need to build that harness that painless sells. Then factor in some time and you will see it's not cheap when you use good automotive wire, connectors, and fuse blocks. If you have the time to do it yourself you can save money with labor.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I use American Autowire "Highway" series kits, The Highway 15 circuit harness is $350......https://www.summitracing.com/tx/part...rican-autowire
Old 01-07-2018, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something like this is what I was looking for. Looks pretty good. Did you have any issues with it?
Old 01-08-2018, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by UnZFeat'd
Something like this is what I was looking for. Looks pretty good. Did you have any issues with it?
It's just about perfect for a bare bones 2nd Gen. I have installed them in several GM cars & trucks. Because it's a universal kit, It will NOT come with light sockets particular to YOUR car.

The included headlight switch is junk just like all the replacements these days. If your original Delco-Remy is in good shape.....Reuse it!! The AAW connector will plug right in.

I highly recommend a 56-Series Terminal Crimp tool (Delphi/Packard part# 6285847) Used for the HEI power & tach, Headlight, Ignition Switch etc etc.

Quick Reply: Anyone Know A Good Basic Wiring Harness