Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is looking awesome. I love the new school stuff in an old school ride.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

I started with the truck bracket and cut the bottom off just below the 3 mounting bolts....but after tearing up belts and/or throwing at 7500ish a number of times, I went to an electric WP and had to relocate the alternator.
No power steering, so it's mounted low on the drivers side using 1 bolt with a spacer into the block and a flat 1/4" aluminum bar with spacers....not pretty, but working.

As for the throttle cable, I'm using the stock peddle with a LoKar universal cable....working great too. (still carbureted)
Old 05-12-2019, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by machineica
Thanks guys,

Im currently hung up on the following.

A steam port setup. Thinking on running two ls6 type and tie them together, or is running with the rears blocked good enough. Need to measure the degrees of tilt.

A clutch engagement setup, Car is still set up for manual engagement. I installed the trans with a shift fork setup. Was thinking on push or pull hydraulic now im jut loosing time and money.

Throttle body. After starting to fab up throttle cable and stuff im not liking the look of it. Thinking on going to a dbw setup. Plus the harnesses i have are dbw except for a cut in half dbc i have extracted a few plugs from for the swap. Im at the end and starting to get tunnel vision.

Starter issues. Mainly i dont have a starter to try. somehow lost or gave away the old starter.

Alternator. Issues besides being ugly. looking at the cs series because appears to be smaller. Starting to regret truck accessory bracket.

Air conditioning.... should i or shouldent i.....

For the steam port lines Trickflow has a do-it yourself 4 corner kit for around 100 bucks. No steam port on the rad, some plumb by tapping into the water pump.
https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-306sb600

Are you using the stock Z bar like clutch set-up? Mcleod has a hydraulic pedal kit with most of the parts that bolts right up.

I have this bracket for my throttle body line, but I'm using a LS3 intake, don't know if it'll work with your intake.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS3...item33ff2a2e08

I have these starter part numbers on file. Shop around, Summit. Amazon. etc.
ACDelco Starters 12617229
ACDelco 11610787 bolts
ACDelco PT170 GM Original Equipment 1-Way Female Black Multi-Purpose Pigtail to plug into the starter.

I'm gonna use ICT's LS1 F body PS & alternator brackets, sometimes the down low alternator requires the frame to be notched but that means a whole new ballgame for you. You might want to check out their truck setup.
https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-camaro-...s6-billet.html

Hope this helps somewhat.
Simon

Old 05-13-2019, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up on your build. I'm still just going through the first page or two, but what I want to know is how you guys end up scoring all of these deals???

I swear that I never find deals like you guys are getting. $500 for an LQ4 complete? Dang...

I have a 2000 Z28 with the LS1 and I'm considering building that, but I know you can't use the higher flowing heads on it because of the smaller bore size. So, I'm considering trying to find the bigger bore engine like you did, but everyone seems to want a ton for these darn engines. So, I'll probably just stay with the LS1 I guess.

I'm also trying to swap the 4L60E for a T56 setup, but again, everyone seems to want a trillion dollars for just the trans alone, let alone the bellhousing, crossmember, pedals, shifter and hydraulic clutch setup. :-/

Anyway, I give you credit for all of your deals and how everything is workin' out for ya.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28_Demon
Nice write up on your build. I'm still just going through the first page or two, but what I want to know is how you guys end up scoring all of these deals???

I swear that I never find deals like you guys are getting. $500 for an LQ4 complete? Dang...

I have a 2000 Z28 with the LS1 and I'm considering building that, but I know you can't use the higher flowing heads on it because of the smaller bore size. So, I'm considering trying to find the bigger bore engine like you did, but everyone seems to want a ton for these darn engines. So, I'll probably just stay with the LS1 I guess.

I'm also trying to swap the 4L60E for a T56 setup, but again, everyone seems to want a trillion dollars for just the trans alone, let alone the bellhousing, crossmember, pedals, shifter and hydraulic clutch setup. :-/

Anyway, I give you credit for all of your deals and how everything is workin' out for ya.

Well the 500$ LQ motor was a long time looking and waiting, someone posted on craigslist a 99 silverado 2500 engine for sale. i had a suspicion that they didnt know what they had. I offered them 500 sight unseen and ran out to look at it. trans was already missing but motor still in the body. seen the 6.0 and was like yup ill take it.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cula8r
For the steam port lines Trickflow has a do-it yourself 4 corner kit for around 100 bucks. No steam port on the rad, some plumb by tapping into the water pump.
https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-306sb600

Are you using the stock Z bar like clutch set-up? Mcleod has a hydraulic pedal kit with most of the parts that bolts right up.

I have this bracket for my throttle body line, but I'm using a LS3 intake, don't know if it'll work with your intake.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS2-LS3...item33ff2a2e08

I have these starter part numbers on file. Shop around, Summit. Amazon. etc.
ACDelco Starters 12617229
ACDelco 11610787 bolts
ACDelco PT170 GM Original Equipment 1-Way Female Black Multi-Purpose Pigtail to plug into the starter.

I'm gonna use ICT's LS1 F body PS & alternator brackets, sometimes the down low alternator requires the frame to be notched but that means a whole new ballgame for you. You might want to check out their truck setup.
https://www.ictbillet.com/ls-camaro-...s6-billet.html

Hope this helps somewhat.
Simon
Much appreciated!

I ordered the clutch setup. so thats a done deal.

I ordered a 102mm Ebay dbw throttle body to try out since i have a dbw harness ready to go sitting.

I will pull a few starters from the local scrap yard. once i see what fits ring ill order a new one.

I might go that route with the ICT billet low mount. i wish i seen that earlier but i done cut up what i had. well see... ill be back home tuesday coming up to work on it.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Well the 500$ LQ motor was a long time looking and waiting, someone posted on craigslist a 99 silverado 2500 engine for sale. i had a suspicion that they didnt know what they had. I offered them 500 sight unseen and ran out to look at it. trans was already missing but motor still in the body. seen the 6.0 and was like yup ill take it.
Nice! That is where I need to brush up on my LS knowledge. I need to know exactly what I want and how to recognize it when I find one. This way if a deal like yours comes up I won’t screw myself by getting the wrong engine. LOL!
Old 05-19-2019, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z28_Demon
Nice! That is where I need to brush up on my LS knowledge. I need to know exactly what I want and how to recognize it when I find one. This way if a deal like yours comes up I won’t screw myself by getting the wrong engine. LOL!
Well with the amount of people doing swaps, any ls had for cheap will be an investment. Can always offload it or stuff it in something else.... i have a 97 LS1 sitting around and a 69 mustang without an engine sitting nearby....
Old 05-20-2019, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

True...that makes sense. Well, now I'll just have to find out if we have any good junkyards around here. LOL I haven't had a need to look until now. My first project car in years and definitely my first in this state. Thanks for the info and I'm looking forward to watching the rest of your project progress. Sorry to go off topic on your thread. :-/
Old 06-18-2019, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

Moar Pics.

Was able to get a little work done.

received the clutch master setup. Installed.

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-gwlvivi.jpg

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-drjrfhj.jpg

Installed power steering box i have had in the trunk for years. had to buy metric to standard adaptor.

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-gf6wluf.jpg

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-zczdzax.jpg

Made my drive by wire throttle pedal. really like the way it came out. Just need to attach.

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-7ixsifx.jpg

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-xgccnse.jpg

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-ztr6tzw.jpg

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-gitdvjl.jpg

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-xgoah0e.jpg

Hopefully this will solve my clutch actuation issues.

LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!-smzpwuz.jpg
Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Looks like your belt is a little bit on the loose side. I'd check the adjuster. LOL

Also, you have some extra parts up on the intake that I think go elsewhere. LOL!

Seriously though, cool job man. I like how you made your pedal drive by wire. That's pretty good!
Old 12-27-2020, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Back from the dead.

Finally runs. Had 2 issues holding me up. A fuse that tested good but was bad. And a new crank sensor that didn't work.

Besides buying a business and not having time for anything.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Old 12-27-2020, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Old 01-14-2021, 04:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Updates?
Old 01-14-2021, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Default Video

Old 01-14-2021, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Dyno day went to crap. Power steering hose failed. Tuner checked the initial tune and flashed a base on it. The original tune was open loop and had no oxygen sensors working. With the basemap on it was clear to see the O2 sensors wasent working anyway. Noone had any close by so had to shut it down to do some fixing.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

So I'm in 02 sensor hell. When I picked this harness I didn't realize the 02 sensors plugs were cut off. Found some on another hacked up harness turned out to be rear sensor plugs. So I used 2 rear sensors. Picked up some new sensors to try out and still no voltage change. I guess I'm supposed to have some triangle plugs.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Starter crapped out today. Ran out of fuel test driving. Wouldn't start back up. Yay! pushed Camaro. Swapped it out. Back to semi normal. Need to pin out these o2 sensors. But at least I think the new power steering hose is holding.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:49 PM

This may be a long shot but I have the same pistons and was trying to wonder if you installed them with the numbers on the pistons facing the bottom or top of the block? I'm building my first one so I would like to make sure I have them in right. I even called wiseco and they said the numbers should be at the bottom of the block but it looks to me in one of your pics that you have the numbers facing the top of the block? Any help would be much appreciated. Sont want to start the thing then tear it back down.

Quick Reply: LA 69 Camaro Lq4 build and swap! First Ls build!