Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Will a '68 Camaro COLUMN shift steerin column swap in2 an auto floorshift car easily?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a '68 Camaro COLUMN shift steerin column swap in2 an auto floorshift car easily?

I'm not crazy lol.
I got a junky '68 camaro with a 250 motor & powerglide with floor shift that i dont drive in bad weather, but wont be restored bodywise while i own it, but it could use a rebuilt steering column. It has EXTREMELY high mileage.
My friend has a steering column that came out of an powerglide '68 camaro that had COLUMN shift - the column is in good condition.
Are the floor shift & column shift '68 camaro automatic steering columns identical in LENGTH & will the replacement swap in easily in my floor shift '68 camaro without any issues?
Can i assume the curved electrical plugs & wires are identical & the turn signal blinkers would work? They work now.
I have the horn wired to a separate non column button on the dash.
Of course i would remove the useless neutral safety switch on the replacement column. & leave off the column shift shift lever & center horn button.
Can i assume 6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder '68 Camaros got the same powerglide floor shift or column shift steering columns?
Old 06-15-2018, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Not 100% on it, but I believe they are a direct interchange.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes there is one tab on the floor that may need bent over but they bolt in

Quick Reply: Will a '68 Camaro COLUMN shift steerin column swap in2 an auto floorshift car easily?