TECH Junkie

Got to love last minute gremlins.
The following users liked this post:
99 Black Bird T/A (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022 | 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Indeed!
Just hoping this Gremlin doesn't have a sequel!

It has provided the opportunity to straighten & declutter my "car side" of the garage.

The following 2 users liked this post by 99 Black Bird T/A:
2ToeRacing (08-21-2023), AINT SKEERED (11-06-2022)
Old 11-07-2022 | 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Picked up the 91 RS rom the shop and all is good 👍

Getting the PCM harness repair turned out to be a little over $300 which wasn't to bad.

Played it extra safe had the car checked for an electrical draw given the battery died somewhat unexpectedly. Everything checked out good so writing it off as the old battery just died.

Random other stuff- Twice came close to buying more hot rod goodies last week. Found a new Circle D 3,000 to 3,200 stall for sell on the forum. By the time I decided this would make a nice compromise for my high mile 02 Z28, someone else bought it...if you snooze you lose...lol..however I didn't think it was smart to buy the CD stall until after the shop told me what the wiring harness repair cost..by then it was too late.

Talked with another 383 LS1 owner about maybe buying his custom Mamo spec'd cam for my 91 RS's 383 LS1. The Mamo spec'd cam had same intake/exhaust duration & lift as a spare cam on my parts shelf but was 1 degree narrower on LSA. Of course the amount of advance ground in could well be different as well as lobe profiles etc. It seems very likely more cam than I'll want in a daily friendly 383 LS1 etc

Over the weekend noticed a new noise in the 02 Z28's resr...sounded a lot like a rear wheel bearing...

Went to make the 02 Z28 an appointment to get checked out when picking up the 91 RS but discovered the shop is moving next week to its new location. So getting in will may be several weeks away. I may put the 02 Z28 up for the winter a bit esrly and just deal with whatever thr newest issue is in the spring next year.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 11-07-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2022 | 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Playing musical cars shuffling around the garage today, took a "car family" photo minus the 02 Z28.

Hard (for me) to believe the 99 T/A has been in the garage for 24 years in February 2023, the 91RS for 33 years in May 2023 and 72 vette for 40 years in March 2023. The 02 Z28 is the new kid on the block, 5 years in April 2023.

As the era of the ICE starts to allegedly wind down, my wife insists not another car unless it's a 2015 or newer...unless one of the 20+ year olds finds a new home.

Need more garage space because I think older car prices are going to sink over the next few months and it will drag down the prices of muscle cars as well...possibly to the point of find some sweet deals again!

Old 11-15-2022 | 12:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
@chrisfrost Hi Chris, thank you for taking the time to read the thread, much appreciated.

My TA & RS have BFG Comp 2's and they are excellent tires. The Comp2 is one my favorites as well. Michelin's involvement with BFG has definitely been good.

I appreciate the offer on the Nitto's and will definitely keep it in mind. However, for new wheels to replace the 16's on my Z28, I'm leaning towards getting 18's due to more overall tire selection.

Edit 10-08-2022 Update

Have formed a good impression of having 3.73's with a 4L60E, makes the car much more fun to drive. Around town gas mile doesn't seem badly effected all that much considering the entertainment factor.

3.42's would be more ideal if doing thousands of miles of interstate travel regularly at 80 mph+ otherwise 3.73's seem best all the way around.

Random Brain Storming
Best-choice-engine-project reflects my second thoughts on best long term engine goals for the 02 Z28.

3,600-stall-263-000-mile-4l60e started to think seriously about doing a stall for the 02 Z28 with the current 4L60E since everything well so we'll with the gear swap.
Great post about the gears, I had started a thread a while back in rear end section about switching to 3:73, lots of recommendations not to do the work. Mine isn't a huge jump, currently have 3:23 gears but I did score a set of new 3:73. Now I need someone to put them in for me.
99 Black Bird T/A (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022 | 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by RMCosta
Great post about the gears, I had started a thread a while back in rear end section about switching to 3:73, lots of recommendations not to do the work. Mine isn't a huge jump, currently have 3:23 gears but I did score a set of new 3:73. Now I need someone to put them in for me.
Thank you! Going from 2.73's to 3.73's was definitely an improvement and different feel. I'm sure the conventional wisdom to get a higher stall gives the better results but I had the spare 10 bolt w/3.73's. Came close to picking up a new Circle D 3,200 stall from marketplace.

Just as well because the 91RS had no start when hot issue this week. Apparently a new starter, relay or cable to starter or all of it is going to require replacement. Car starts zero issue, will immediately restart when hot but ~5 minutes of heat soak and...

...and car won't restart for hours until cold again. These sorts of issues go with the mileage. I'm guessing its the starter cable or relay...if we get a warm days will probably start trouble shooting with the relay etc.

Old 12-01-2022 | 06:59 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Wow when it rains it pours...

Go to crank 99 Trans Am today...

Click! Click! click!
Clicking click!

The remanufactured starter on the T/A lasted 4 years and 4,000 miles - pretty lame.

Two cars are down now...am pissed.

Just ordered a new starter for the 99 Trans Am from NAPA. Took the starter into the store to ensure they ordered replacement by part number so it would be the correct long & short bolt starter.

12-02-2022 edit
Guess what, NAPA screwed up and the wrong long/long bolt starter arrived today! So finally NAPA has the correct starter ordered.

I also dropped off the old starter at the local starter repair shop. Going to keep a back up on the shelf going forward. Probably going to have a needed for it wirh the 91 RS.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 12-02-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-05-2022 | 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

So since NAPA failed to deliver, took the old starter to a mom & pops shop called, Willis' Auto Electric Auto Parts.

For $67 starter was gone through and needed a new switch. That beats the hell out of $265 for a new one from an auto parts store.

...and 99T/A cranks again! It's good to be out driving the car once more.

Stopped by the local body shop to get estimate on repairs & repaint of corrosion under passenger side ttop panel at windshield. Should have an estimate tomorrow. Windshield has to come out to fix.

Tomorrow will be a busy day for the 99T/A, plan of driving to pick power steering valve for 72 Corvette and some other errands.

However, tonight its time for some fried fish at one of the areas best old school fish camps, Captain's Cap in Belmont, North Carolina 😋

One of my favorite places to visit and even sweeter given the nostalgia of being there in the 99 T/A, happy flash backs to twenty plus years ago.

After getting ~100 miles on the 99TA and 15 starts noticed something different. The car has the LPE 58x to 24x converter box and it's always worked properly.

Previously, normally starting would be 2 or 3 seconds of cranking to sync then start. The way was a brief bump the starter and release then bump the starter for less cranking and a easier start.

After rebuild & repairing the starter, the sync seems much faster. Basically starting as easily on first bump of the key 13 out of 15 times and easily on 2nd bump the other two times. Possibly it's just a coincidence, that the car sync'd quickly almost everytime today.

Also got the fog lights, led back ups & rear leds installed. Still have some sorting to do on that as one of the new fog lights isn't working.

First impressions,

1) Not at all impressed with the LED back up lights. Seems no better than stock. Have to confirm both are working. Feeling disappointed had good expectations.

2) Really dislike like the LED flashers for the turn signals because they as so quite, practically silent 🤫.

3) Fog lights may need adjustment, as the one LED fog light that works, is barely noticeable when turned on. Feeling extremely disappointed with as the LED fogs on the 02 Z28 were fantastic. Hopefully, it's an adjustment issue.

Probably should reserve judgment until sorted etc.

12-16-2022 Edit

Last ten days, proved very eventful.

A) Had local body shop make an estimate to repair corrosion on 99T/A's passenger side Ttop. Wind shield will need to come out. $650 if wind shield survives $1,000 + if it doesn't. Appointment made for Jan 9th.

B) Located a set of used Kook's headers and worked out a deal. Feeling good about getting the nasty rattle issue with the Speed Engineering headers taken care off on the 02 Z28.

C) Wife got very sick over weekend with the influenza (A) while I was traveling to see family. She ended up in hospital and developed A-fib. Returned home over weekend. So we've had a rough week but she's out of hospital at least and recovering slowly from flu A but the A-fib remains.

Given the cascade of media bills coming, I'm out of the car game for a while. Canceled header deal & Ttop rust repair for time being, have other greater priorities.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 12-16-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old 12-23-2022 | 12:14 AM
Teching In

Hi black bird, took me a while but I read this whole thread and it has inspired me to the fullest, I have a stock 02 z28 with only 30k miles and I thought it would be a headache to daily drive and maintain but you've proven me its not so bad and not only have you maintained it you have also brought more performance to the high mile camaro. That completely reassured that my new purchase was not a bad one. I really like this story and look forward to its updates. I should also mention that your thread inspired me to make an account when I initially read it in november. I have jack stands and a daytona jack on the way. I plan on doing everything my self, first mod being umi's new triple adjustable coilovers. Thanks for the confidence and wishing a smooth recovery for your wife
The following 2 users liked this post by Frostmans:
2ToeRacing (08-21-2023), 99 Black Bird T/A (12-24-2022)
Old 12-25-2022 | 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Frostmans
Hi black bird, took me a while but I read this whole thread and it has inspired me to the fullest, I have a stock 02 z28 with only 30k miles and I thought it would be a headache to daily drive and maintain but you've proven me its not so bad and not only have you maintained it you have also brought more performance to the high mile camaro. That completely reassured that my new purchase was not a bad one. I really like this story and look forward to its updates. I should also mention that your thread inspired me to make an account when I initially read it in november. I have jack stands and a daytona jack on the way. I plan on doing everything my self, first mod being umi's new triple adjustable coilovers. Thanks for the confidence and wishing a smooth recovery for your wife
Sounds like a very sweet 02 Z28 w/30k like new! Welcome to LS1TECH, it's overall a fantastic forum with many knowledgeable folks willing to help.

Thank you, happy to share my bit of experience. Hopefully by spring, things will all be back on track. Appreciate the good wishes for family, thank you again!
Old 02-24-2023 | 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Rough ~ two months but it's over and my wife's health issues are sorted out and she's fully recovered. Had a chance to travel and get the T/A out and on the road today since it was very nice weather...when I'd returned home in Dec due to wife's health emergency the T/A had to be put away dirty...

...but that was sorted out today 🙂

Threadzy (03-02-2023)
Old 04-03-2023 | 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I gotta say dude, this is the best thread I have read on Tech in a long, long, long time. I sold my 02 Firehawk 10 years ago, but recently picked up a white 6 speed Z28, and am starting on the same journey that you have been on.

I love reading about cars being saved and continuing their story. I am so happy you didn't beat it up and part it out 5 years ago. You have a new subscriber to this thread for sure! Keep it up!
The following 2 users liked this post by SPLATT:
99 Black Bird T/A (04-03-2023), Nathan C (04-03-2023)
Old 04-04-2023 | 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Splatt, thank you for the kind comments! That definitely means a great deal to me. Especially, since this year is off to a rough start for car projects.

I look forward to hearing more about your six speed white Z28.

Likewise, I'm very happy with keeping my 02 Z28 as a fun driver. That was a much better choice than trashing and parting. The irony is once again the 02 Z28 ended up being the back up car for my wife last month when her SUV spent several days getting color corrected and ceramic coated. Ever year something comes up that proves the 02 Z28 is very useful as the spare car.
Old 06-01-2023 | 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Finally got to do a little car stuff this year!

December, January & February was all about the wife's health issues. God has been kind and she's doing very well and all looks good! Of course my elderly mother's health issues started in March, April & May with a major health concern about lung cancer. Again thanking God, after a series of tests the biopsy showed she doesn't have lung cancer. However, the tests didn't determine what the nodules are so we have to monitor every three months.

Had the vette out and drove 150 miles a few days ago. TTops off, my glasses disappeared on the interstate lol. Just added another item to the long list the vette's tops have gobbled up on the highway.

Today the 02 Z28 got washed, gassed, tires inflated and half a quart of oil. Wife kindly helped with cleaning the 02 Z28 today even gassed the car. I think we're headed out to cruise and have dinner with the tops off.

Monday my 06 Tundra goes for an oil change, tire rotation & alignment. If that goes OK without any nasty surprises then getting Arctic White 91 RS's crank issue sorted out will be next.

It's been a crazy last six months!

Old 06-01-2023 | 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member
15 Year Member

FYI if you want to trouble shoot the relay, Get a blow dryer and blow hot air around it to heat it up.
99 Black Bird T/A (06-02-2023)
Old 08-14-2023 | 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

🍾 🥂 Celebrating threads 5 year anniversary!🎉 🍾

Hell of a last two months. Wife & mother had another round of serious health issues but that's sorted out again and everyone is well again.

The 91 RS's crank issue was indeed the starter. The car's sorted again and I look forward to hitting the highway this weekend.

Due to all "other factors" mentioned above decided to paid my favorite local shop to turn the wrenches. Went with a brand new starter as the old one had been previously rebuild by another shop and didn't hold well just ~7 years and 14,000 miles.

Driving the 91 RS today was the first time life seemed normal since like December last year.
2ToeRacing (08-21-2023), Threadzy (08-15-2023)
Old 10-02-2023 | 03:28 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Wrapped a 1,300 mile trip in the 91 RS with no issues.

Discovered my 99 T/A's has a new issue. Heard a clicking sound and noticed the service vehicle light on the dash.

With it arcing the dash gauges go crazy. Definitely have an electrical issue to chase down and get fixed. Hopefully fixed after Christmas as wife has knee replacement lined up shortly and I won't be back in Carolina for a few months.

Seems in retirement 🤔 I have less time for car projects what a bizarre turn of events...
Finkledbody (10-03-2023), Threadzy (10-02-2023)
Old 10-03-2023 | 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like there is always something to fix
Old 10-04-2023 | 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Seems like there is always something to fix
Thank you for stopping by. The forum seems less active.

Yes, it's becoming that way. More focus on repairs and maintenance than hot rodding.

They all have 20 or 30 or 50 years of age on them now and I drive a lot less now.

However, once the family health issues are sorted, I can get back to sorting car issues.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 11-19-2023 at 01:26 PM.
rmack (12-02-2023)
Old 01-29-2024 | 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Finally back to chasing car issues!

The 99 T/A when in for getting the the electrical issue (probably coil pack wiring harness) repaired today.

I even got to help a little with keeping the wheels straight. Didn't have to pay extra for helping (j/k) so must have done OK.

Getting unloaded. No rest for the wicked, a salesman tried to talk trade on a new 2024 6.6 2500HD Silverado.

Over the winter, I thought seriously I should cut the car loose and move on several times. Presented the reality of possibly doing that, I knew instantly, I wasn't going to even consider that. Saleman was far less interested in my 06 Tundra as possible trade 😃 😀 😄 😁

Anyway hoping this won't be too painful.

I've owned the 99 T/A for 25 years next month, that doesn't seem possible. I remember the first drive home from the dealership like yesterday.

All of the good mechanics I once knew back home in Carolina have moved, retired or passed away
Finkledbody (01-31-2024), Threadzy (01-29-2024)

Quick Reply: 1 in a 1000 - High Mile 02 Z28's new lease on life as daily driver