Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Starting a new project 78 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting a new project 78 Camaro

I'm in the process of buying a 78 Camaro to begin a new project.
Its a mostly stock Type LT with the stock 305 350THM turd it came with. Runs good though.
I've been looking for a 78 79 era that has a good body. And this one is super clean. Florida car.
I have a couple ideas for it, looking for input/advice.
One would be to try and do an LS swap. I have a good low mileage LS3 in my garage. While already having a finished motor is cool, I'm thinking there will be alot more to this that I haven't even thought of.
My other idea is to build a high end small block set up starting with a 350 4 bolt block. I've got a couple good blocks to start from.

I'm kinda thinking the LS3 thing is going to add up to alot more headaches and cost. But I know the LS is going to give me the most power in the end.

Thinking I can do the 350 build, stroke and bore etc... will have to upgrade the trans etc... And I think in the end I'll be ahead because the SBC will fit better and just plain be less of a headache. Just wont be easy to get the same HP from the SBC. Blower would do it, but then I'd have get a new hood or cut a hole in the OE one. And then theres the cost and headache factor.

Either way I'm going to have to upgrade the trans but again I think the SBC will give me more affordable options in that category.

Any thoughts???

Just sitting hear dreaming about this car trying to come up with some ideas.