Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

1997 z28 abs traction control help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 z28 abs traction control help

Hi everybody I just picked up another Camaro it's a 1997 z28 mm6 car with abs and traction control the problem I'm having is that it is engaging the brakes and fighting the throttle pedal I pulled the abs traction relay and the car is fine I plug it back in and it returns instantly so I'm just wondering is it abs sensors or is it the abs module because it wont turn off by the switch only by pulling the relay all tires are stock and the car has sat for a while btw haven't done alot because of the weather just would like to know what common causes are to make it engaged all the time as I want to get working on it for springtime this is the first z28 I've owed with traction control that limits your throttle thanks for info in advance
Old 03-07-2019, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Traction control will push back on the accelerator pedal when it detects wheel slip at the rear axle. I'd check all the wheel sensors first (maybe use a scan tool........I'd think a bad sensor would've thrown a code) before looking at the TCS control module. I don't think TCS can engage the brakes, I suspect that is the ABS acting funny, which also relies on the wheel speed sensors.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the wheel brgs/hub assemblies also.