2002 Z28 project car build help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Z28 project car build help

Hi,

SO..

I bought a project 2002 hard top black Z28 automatic. The engine was blown but he had picked up another Ls1 with low miles and a new transmission. This car is very clean and already has a Strange 60 Detroit Locker rear-end, slotted rotors, new seats, and the interior is perfect.

I already own a mint 2002 CETA and I am planning on keeping this pretty stock (see my profile) so I bought this Z28 as a project hot rod...

Goals:

I have 10K budget...
I really don't have a horse power goal.. just want to beat up on Mustangs and Honda idiots LOL
I like turbos builds and it will only be driven once in awhile on sunny weekends

So, what engine should I go with? Rebuild that LS1? Beef it up? get something else? A LS3? Transmission?

If you had 10K what would you do? Remember, I am pretty much a newbie and I will be sourcing out a lot of this..
Old 05-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am of the opinion that a 5.3L motor is a great engine for street cars. They are cheap, plentiful, and can make and hold great power. That is the direction I am going with my 98 V6 car I just bought. Plus it is possible to buy an old truck, part it out, and make money while keeping the engine and anything else you need or want. That is just my .02, take it with a grain of salt as I am also new to racecars and f body cars as well.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will want to set a goal before you go buying parts. This will dictate direction. 5.3's are great and plentiful but as anything have their limitations in stock form. If you are just wanting to beat mustangs and hondas a little spray on the ls1 will get the trick done for most. Use your budget to do a cam, ported heads, and ditching the 4l60 for a better trans i.e. 4l80 if you want overdrive or th400 if you are not concerned with overdrive.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Rebuild the LS1 or pickup a 5.3 have it bored to a 5.7 liter. Then port your heads to flow, as in put your money into the heads. If your heads can flow than you are setup to make good power. I have a 2001 Z28 and I'll probably only port the heads and the LS6 intake while leaving the rest mostly stock. Good luck.