Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Pilot Bearing/ Oil plug help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pilot Bearing/ Oil plug help!

So while doing my first clutch job i made the big mistake of using the bread method on my ls1 engine, i believe i pushed back that plug that sits behind the pilot bearing, I’ve heard it’s a freeze plug I’ve heard it’s an oil plug, regardless i believe i pushed it back from where it originally sits and now there’s bread behind the pilot bearing too! How do i go about fixing this, I’ve seen if it’s like an oil plug i can drill into it and attempt to pull it out and just tap in a new one, I’ve also heard that i have to drop the oil pan, i don’t know what’s behind there and i don’t know what to do, what i do know is that they said if i pushed it back, I’m toast! Can anyone point me in the right direction so i can get this fixed and not stress my motor is toast! Thank you in advance.
Old 04-15-2022, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 399 Likes on 291 Posts

You can pull the bearing with a "blind hole puller" OEM Tools 27128. Rental is free at Autozone. Put on some gloves and give it hell, it won't come easy.

Concerning the plug, it will drop into the oil pan if you push it through. It is pressed in the bore and also glued in place with a sealant. It's just there to keep oil splash from spilling out of the crankcase. There is some extra bore length behind the plug so it's not necessarily a dire situation as long as the plug didn't move too far or get cocked.

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing/ Oil plug help!