Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Another 2000 Camaro Build: Project Boosted z85

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2023, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Well Winter showed up for the ol girl.

Took it last night to the pole building for storage.
Of course it was raining on still on radials so couldnt do a really good pull with it.

Was able to get a roll then mat it from 1st and pull to 2nd.
Finally pulled some and wasnt super lame to drive. Way stronger than the sad 5.7 lol

Best part was it went into learn mode and AFR's and Temp stayed good. Didnt go over 170.
When it idles down it will die so definitely going to do a pro tune come spring.

Until then it is never over so started a list of things to do:
  • 8.50 cert cage
  • New Seats
  • Holley 7 inch screen (Little guy wont cut it)
  • New Intake
  • Fab Charge Tube (Weld in bung for sensor and gate)
  • New Rims
  • Trunnion Upgrade
  • Powdercoat all the pieces
  • Fab spacer for Crank Pulley

Then get a badass tune and go racing!
The following 2 users liked this post by Codys89RS:
Finkledbody (11-11-2023), Threadzy (11-13-2023)
Old 01-15-2024, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Been a long winter already!

The old man decided his 77 c10 needed to have the aluminum headed small block on e85 needed to go.
So we found a 6.0 and put that together and in. I got the joy of wiring it in and getting it fired. Was a good project but now I want to rewire mine and clean it up lol

In a month the camaro will come home to be torn apart. Been talking to Ryan at KCMaxx about the tune and have been picking his brain on a few changes to the car.
Cage is going to get ordered from Midwest Chassis in a couple weeks along with solid motor mounts. Procharger brackets are out for powdercoating and then that can finally be mounted.

Last piece we are working on is changing the intake to an aftermarket that will respond to boost. Got it down to a couple options.

Getting there!
Finkledbody (01-15-2024), Threadzy (01-15-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Well didnt even make it two weeks and the car came home. Never a big fan of moving the car with snow on the ground but hell, put it away in the snow why not bring her home in the snow.

Have a guy who wants the street tires and front rims and tires off of it so had to get it home and on stands so he can come pick them up.
Hopefully order my new rims by the end of the week. Going skinnies on the front and sticking with radials full time on the rear.

Next week I am ordering the BTR intake and fuel rails. Once those come in the old intake and rails will come off and I will clean up some wiring to how I like it.
Then on goes the intake and the procharger gets remounted. Got all the brackets back from the powdercoater.
Procharger on and then the charge pipe can get fabbed to the new intake.

Only real hurdles I see are going to be the procharger belt tensioner and the balancer spacer to line everything up.

Plus side is got the motor back in my brothers nasty TT c10 build. Spring is creepin closer! especially with the mild winter we have had here in MN
The following 3 users liked this post by Codys89RS:
01CamaroSSTx (02-09-2024), Finkledbody (02-05-2024), Threadzy (02-05-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Looking forward to watching her come together. Been wanting to do an F1A ProCharger on the 01 for some time now.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Looking forward to watching her come together. Been wanting to do an F1A ProCharger on the 01 for some time now.
Hopefully order the new intake then I can finally fab up the charge pipe.

honestly biggest pain has been wanting to mount it up top instead of down below. I have an odd feeling this d1 will turn into a d1x or an f1 quickly lol
Old 02-10-2024, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Default Baby got new shoes!

New rims and front tires came in today. Going to completely change the look of the car.

The fronts need the white removed so they are all black
The following users liked this post:
Finkledbody (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

Them are some eye candy
Old 02-21-2024, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Default May not be fast but will look the part!

Few goodies have showed up the last few days!
decided to go with the 5 inch screen from Holley as I like the figment better on the dash and honestly $1200 for a screen just couldn’t make sense to me right now.
I like that for $400 it came with a gps as well.

Plan is to move the 3.5 inch to the left vent using the CarChains vent mount. Want to use it solely for alarms.

the other piece that showed up was this beauty!

It’s my first big BTR purchase in this build and wow!
little heavier than I was hoping but the thing is a unit.
waiting on some split loom and the throttle cable bracket and then can start the assembly process!
01CamaroSSTx (02-21-2024), Threadzy (02-28-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Well weather got warm so decided it was time to work in the garage.

After a winter, no matter how mild, the garage collected lots of stuff. Bench was full of car parts and random projects.
Took a day to clean up that disaster...

Then looked at the car and went back inside lol. Out loud said " Once I tear the intake off its out of commission for a while and Im not ready for that" Laughed and walked away.

24 hours later I was back in the garage unbolting the intake. Ahh the fresh smell of e85!
Intake, Injectors, fuel rails, and sensors pulled.

Finally pulled the BTR intake out of the box. Again, what a piece.
Stripped the ls1 intake. Throttle body, map sensor, vacuum lines (Brake Booster only).
Let me know if anyones looking for an LS1 intake hit me up!

Went to transfer over to the BTR and man wish I would have looked it at it sooner.
I ended up calling Brian Tooley and they were helpful as expected.
The bracket they sent for the map sensor didnt work for me. Came to find out I needed the LS9 style. Which meant I had to order an adapter for the terminator harness.
Okay fine enough. Then they were able to look up the size for the vacuum plug so I could order another one of those.
I am glad I called though because I had to pull the intake apart to put gaskets in it. I totally overlooked it.

So as I am waiting for parts I decided to do the one part I really was dreading. Pulling apart the wiring for the terminator harness and cleaning up around the fuse box.
I threw it all together really quick to get the car running end of last season.

Well pulled all of the engine harness apart and the loom off around the fuse box. I really didnt like the mix of woven and plastic loom. So I ordered in some more woven loom.
Started to cut the tape off of the terminator loom and pulling and cutting wires. Removed the knock sensor plug, cause who needs that! and am trying to shorten up the OBD wire and now the map wiring since I had to add the adapter.
Trying to make it as clean as possible.

Hopefully get the loom tomorrow and by end of weekend the car will have the wiring cleaned up.

Was able to get the procharger mounted onto the brackets. Really itching to get that mounted but need the map so I can put on the intake again.

PS these posts are way cooler with pictures. Ill take some later!
Finkledbody (03-17-2024), Threadzy (03-16-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Got the Intake put together, installed, and torques down this past weekend. Completely changes the look of the motor, lets hope performance increases as well!
Other nice perk is the intake sits up just high enough that the holley look can go underneath it instead of beside/on top of the intake.

Cleaned up the wiring for the Holley and the BCM. Reloomed it so it matches the holley and shortened where I could. Not perfect but I am happy with it.

Biggest bear of the weekend was replacing the transmission dipstick. Got a Madman tube for the th400 to replace the flexible hose.
Let me say I understand why they recommend installing it while the trans is out. It was a terrible job. to get it into the hole and then to seat in nicely. I did have to trim the bottom of the tube a bit to get it to get over the lip.
But now that it is in in I am really happy with it! Out of the way and bolts right to the trans.

And what would a weekend of working on the car be without breaking or stripping a bolt on the car.
I kept getting coolant spots on the ground and couldnt figure out where it was coming from. Well crawling under the car realized it is coming out of the bottom of the thermostat housing. Went to tighten the bolt and wouldnt you guess it snapped right off.
So will be draining the coolant and trying to get the broken bolt out.
Then when it goes back together I will be putting some gasket maker on the housing to fully seal it.

CARS ARE FUN!!
Threadzy (04-08-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Default Procharger on and base tune adjusted!

Productive weekend that has me feeling like the end is in sight! Kind of.

had to notch thestrut tower again to mount it but will get that fixed soon enough.

i need one more bolt to replace the rod hanging out there.

Measured and having the crank pulley spacer milled.

need to order a manual tensioner for the procharger and then fab up the charge tube.

Thinking this style with a different bracket probably

Was also able to go into the tune and fix the shift light, adjust the idle, and test the transbrake.

hoping to finish the procharger up in the next week or two so I can get it tuned
Old 04-29-2024, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Default Spent some money

After looking at it for long enough I decided to make the final push.

Talked to the guy who does our pipe work and ordered in the aluminum pipe and the bung needed to fabricate the charge tube.

Got the aluminum spacer back for the crank pulley and first off I will have to post a before and after because it never ceases to amaze me the talent of people. It is a beautiful piece.
Pulley went on and I was off by a smidge so need a minor spacer and will be in line.

So I ordered a belt, two 8 rib idler pulleys, spacers, and the tensioner bracket.
I am going to have to fabricate the tensioner bracket but I wanted to go a manual screw type tensioner and not a auto tensioner. Why not continue to be different?
After the trial an error on my old mans procharged s10 we dont want any belt slip (Even though mine wont put down the power his does)

Ordered in the bungs for the valve covers and the catch can.

List is pretty short at this point:
  • mount tensioner and idler pulleys
  • put on the procharger belt
  • finish charge tube
  • mount catch can and run lines
  • run line to fuel pressure regulator from BOV
  • Tune

I am starting to get nervous now that the tune is hopefully around the corner. I have seen some horror stories and dont want to be one!

One step closer!
Threadzy (04-30-2024)
Old Today, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Slow progress but all the parts are in house finally.

Got the procharger tensioner installed. Little bit of fabricating but I am happy with how it came out.

Need to install a few more things and once the charge tube is done should be good to fire under boost.
Now its getting dyno and tune time to line up!
Threadzy (Today)

Quick Reply: Another 2000 Camaro Build: Project Boosted z85