Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Where does this bracket go? ('02 Z28)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Where does this bracket go? ('02 Z28)

I'm putting my car back together after several years. I had this bracket in a bag with the bolts for the swaybar brackets, but I didn't make any notes about where it goes. I don't see a part number stamped on it anywhere.

The end with two holes lines up with the swaybar mount holes, and I think I see how it would be oriented, but I can't find it in any parts diagrams, so I don't know where it goes, and I don't know what's supposed to attach to the other end of the bracket.

Would someone with an LS1 car be so kind as to check the ends of their swaybars (front and rear please), see where this bracket is located, and snag a photo of it as-installed and showing what's attached to the bolt hole?

Thanks much!
Old 09-04-2023, 07:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I think that went on the driver's side. I don't think it served any practical purpose.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I think that went on the driver's side. I don't think it served any practical purpose.
Driver side front?
Old 09-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Launching!

I think I found it, part #27 in center of this diagram:

The diagram is "1998-2002 F CRUISE CONTROL (K34,NW9) Chevrolet Camaro", and part #27 is listed as "SHIELD, CRCTL MDL". NW9 is the RPO code for traction control; another non-NW9 diagram shows the same part as #25 on a mostly-identical diagram. Part number 12550734.

Sadly, the diagram doesn't quite show exactly where it goes or what bolts to it, but based on the orientation, it seems like it has nothing to do with the swaybars, and the bolt spacing must be a coincidence. Not sure why I had it in that bag (nor why I removed it), but I'll take another look at the car later and see if I can make sense of it.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 09-05-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 11:19 AM
Launching!

After some more digging around, I have the impression that this part's job is to protect the cruise control servo module and the cable from physical damage, especially in an accident (damage to this cable could cause the throttle cable to get stuck open, creating additional danger after the accident).

Also found this, on an eBay listing describing the part: "Mounts on frame rail and to 1 stud on the sway bar bracket." So that explains why it was in this bag!

Quick Reply: Where does this bracket go? ('02 Z28)