Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

'69 camaro hideaway headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004 | 12:33 PM
Teching In

Default '69 camaro hideaway headlights

Hi Guys, I'm currently rebuilding my '69 Camaro & was thinking of fitting the RS style hideaway headlights. Is this a straight bolt on fitment or is there more involved than just fitting different grille/headlight doors & actuators? I found that in the NPD catalogue the front fenders for the RS were more expensive, is this because there are parts on them that are needed to go with the hideaways? Any help advising what parts are required etc would be greatfully recieved as I live in Great Britain & don't have access to a car with hideaways to take reference from. Thanks........Flamer
Old 10-03-2004 | 03:09 PM
7 Second Club

The fenders are different between RS and standard models because of the brackets used to mount the headlamp buckets. I work for NPD, and you can buy a set of brackets that weld onto standard fenders to make them work for RS applications. If you want to make everything work for an RS, it's about $1000-1500 for most everything (wiring, parts, etc). Granted that's a guess, but if you need a firm quote, check out npd's website www.nationalpartsdepot.com and we have an export dept where you can get a quote for parts.

Derek
Old 10-04-2004 | 07:12 PM
Teching In

yeah its a little over a grand for everything
Old 10-06-2004 | 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by flamer
Hi Guys, I'm currently rebuilding my '69 Camaro & was thinking of fitting the RS style hideaway headlights. Is this a straight bolt on fitment or is there more involved than just fitting different grille/headlight doors & actuators? I found that in the NPD catalogue the front fenders for the RS were more expensive, is this because there are parts on them that are needed to go with the hideaways? Any help advising what parts are required etc would be greatfully recieved as I live in Great Britain & don't have access to a car with hideaways to take reference from. Thanks........Flamer

Flamer,
You will also need new front inner fender skirts. The RS rod that runs from the vacuum actuator to the actual door, which you see when you look at the front of the car, goes through the inner wheel skirt. Or you could cut a 2” round hold in your existing skirts. I have two 69s, one RS the other an RS/SS, so if you need some pics let me know with a PM. Good luck! Oh and don’t forget the rear valance lights. Joe
Old 10-09-2004 | 06:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys. Does anyone know where I might pick up some second hand units. Joe, there's a PM on its way to you...Flamer

Last edited by flamer; 10-09-2004 at 06:24 PM. Reason: forgot to add name
Old 10-09-2004 | 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Got it and responded back.
Old 10-11-2004 | 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The standard and RS fender spash sheilds are the same, only difference is the holes for the acuator and the washer bottle.

If you have a vacuum robing camshaft forget about them working at all.

They are a pain in the *** and will probably never work right but they look great.

My last 69 pace car was the only car I have ever seen that the RS headlights worked right, it was an unrestored one owner car.

Quick Reply: '69 camaro hideaway headlights