Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

May buy LT1 F-Body, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 67SS&99Z28
In reply to your thoughts, I BOUGHT a new front bumper for it because the other one was cracked. I have to adjust the fitment on it because the body man didn't mock it up correctly. It is hard to find a good painter in this day and time. The car wasn't wrecked because I've known the history on the car since it was new. Get your facts straight before you say something.
The only thing worse then a wrecked car that doesnt fit together is a factory one that doesnt
Old 11-23-2004, 08:28 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Squat13: "It actually no the 'Optical Senor' on th optispark that goes bad, it is the cap and roter that oxydize."
DietCoke: "ACTUALLY, it's both, and it's complete luck of the draw."

See what I mean? That's why I said to research the Opti Spark. It's something every LT1 owner should know about.

Tanner, I was being sarcastic.
ok ...thanks, sometimes it is hard to tell
Old 11-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THINGS TO LOOK FOR: CRACKED SPIDER WEBBED PAINT, OPTI --RUN IT TO REDLINE A FEW TIMES SEE IF IT SPUTTERS @ HIGH RPM,RAISE/LOWER THE HEADLIGHTS, CHECK TO SEE IF THE REAR ROTORS HAVE ANY LIFE LEFT,OIL LEAKS COMING DOWN THE TRANI BELL HOUSING-THAT MEANS THE REAR OF THE INTAKE MANIFOLD HAS A LEAK,POWER WINDOW SPEED- SLOW ONES MIGHT BE DIEING,LOOK UNDER THE OIL FILL CAP AND SEE IF IT LOOKS SLUDGY AND HAS AN ACRID BURNT SMELL,CHECK CLUTH FEEL (M6) IF AUTO DOES IT SLIP A LITTLE @ SHIFT?, REAR END NOISE!, MOST PINION SEAL LEAK OVER TIME- IF THE DIFFERENTIAL LOOKS A BIT MOIST DON'T WORRY PINION SEALS DON'T COST MUCH TO REPLACE,
SORRY THE LONG POST, I HAVE A '94 LT1 WITH 130K AS MY BEATER. MAKE ME APPRECIATE MY '02 HAWK THAT MUCH MORE.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

Well I bought it!! This is now my daily driver so I can toy around with my SS a lot more and not have to worry about the size of cam I put in

It is a 1994 Z28 HT A4. It is black in color with a gray and black interior. The paint is ok could use a buff so not a major prob but the interior is as nice as my SS interior . It has 78,000 miles on it shifts nice and smooth, brand new tires, no leaks ( Had the car on a lift checking it over), the engine bay was really clean also. Overall very happy with the car! But I am going to leave it stock being it is my daily driver, Thats going to be the hard part Only other question is when the OPTI Spark does go out how hard is it to change? any write ups on it? Thanks for the help guys. Oh by the way I picked up the car for $4700 so not to bad, the F-Bodies are more expensive up here in Minnesota compared to down south which sucks!!

Dan
Old 11-29-2004, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ONGRNGO
Hey guys I am going to look at a 1994 Camaro Z28 A4 with the LT1 in it, is there anything that I should look for or look at before I decide to buy it? The car has 78,500 miles and has new tires. I am buying it for a daily driver, they are asking $5995 is that a fair price or should I talk them down? It is at a major dealership, the people just traded it in on a new Tahoe.

Dan
That is too much money. I wouldn't pay more than $4,500 for it. There are plenty of cars out there. I have seen LS1s out there starting at $7k and up.

Also, look at the oil pressure gauge to make sure it still has good oil pressure at idle.

Ask if the Opti has been replaced (costly unless you can do it yourself). Make sure that the waterpump has been replaced otherwise you will probably be doing the Opti as well.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by taner
i am asking 5k for mine, and have over 2000 in mods. pm if interested. actually it is the wifes cars, but still for sale none the less. can send pics.
Buy Mrs. Taners car, Taner knows a few things about LT1s

You can definitely trust him. Time for a Road trip.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:52 PM
Banned

I Think $ 4,500 Is Decent For A Good Car. Miles Aren't Too High, Considering Mine Still Runs Strong @ 130k Miles. I Have Done Most Bolt Ons Before I Bought The '02. My Next Car Puchases Will Probably Be More 4th Gen F-bodies. Love 'em! Glad You're Roll'n!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 02:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zepp
That is too much money. I wouldn't pay more than $4,500 for it. There are plenty of cars out there. I have seen LS1s out there starting at $7k and up.

Also, look at the oil pressure gauge to make sure it still has good oil pressure at idle.

Ask if the Opti has been replaced (costly unless you can do it yourself). Make sure that the waterpump has been replaced otherwise you will probably be doing the Opti as well.

That all depends on the area you live in. That is a great price around here in my neck of the woods.

Quick Reply: May buy LT1 F-Body, what to look for?