12.24%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Retro vs new style

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Retro within reason

One cool thing about retro design is that it gives people a chance to drive in something from the past. Some of us do not have the necessary funds to restore a classic. With a retro car you get the best of both worlds: modern technology with old school styling.

However it must be done tastefully. The Mustang for example could use a few design improvements, especially in the interior.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Gm - Chevrolet!!!! Just Bring Back The Camaro!!!!!! Retro or New!!!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I won't buy one either way, I doubt, but I hope they do something new; just hate to follow the whole Ford thing with the T-birds & 'Stangs.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The biggest problem with EITHER platform, however, is marketing.

Who argues that the 4th gen WS6 Formula and TransAms don't look badass and perform even better? Nobody! But, did GM take advantage of that perception by ADVERTISING and MARKETING the f-bodies?

I can't even remember ever seeing an F-body commercial on t.v. EVER. The only real advertising was "Smokey & The Bandit," "Knight Rider," and all the cars that t.v. shows and movies use in the background. Patrick Swayze drove a 3rd gen Camaro in "Next of Kin," and Kipp Raines drove a Pontiac Firebird Formula (the one they CRUSHED) in "Gone is 60 Seconds." But really, what other advertising did GM do to get the looks and performance of these awesome cars out to the public?

Meanwhile, ever day I see two or three ads for ricer cars on t.v. No wonder the young kids today don't know what real performance is.

Retro......... New style.......... It really won't matter unless GM stops being an ostrich, gets its corporate head OUT OF THE SAND, and advertises and markets these cars like all the other car companies do!!

Having said all that, I voted for retro. Take a 2nd gen Camaro and a 4th Gen WS6 'bird and build off those platforms. Retro foundation with some nice, LONG, new body lines. (I'm tired of all this short ultra-streamlined bubble-mobile crap - even the new C6 looks like a subcompact from the front fender side view.)

Oh - and make it FAST.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Launching!

I voted new. I like all Camaros, but I couldn't be happier with my 4th gen. I kind of liked the "new" Mustang look for a very short time, but I'm already sick of it.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think they should go with a new style. Retro may sell for ahwhile but I think we need something new, not too out there but something bold, attractive and unique. I do think they should stick to the heritage though, I don't want it to look like the new GTO's although I do like some points of there styling. It's a tuff call, but if I was the designer I would look at all 4 generations and design sometime that sticks to the heritage but brings in a new style. I would like to see a very defined model line up. Maybe have a base SC with a powerful but economical V6, and RS with some unique styling features and maybe a little more power, something that will compete with most equal priced imports and domestics. A Z28 with a beastly V8 of course, and some unique styling features, it must look different then the V6 models we don't want a repeat of the 4th gen v6-v8 styling being so similar. And of course a monster SS that has a very sporty design, different hood, spoiler, maybe rims etc. I think the SS will need over 400HP to compete with the new GTO's. But they will need to do something with the Vette in order for that to happen or the SS will be faster then the Vette.

It's kind of hard to explain exactly what I would like to see, I'm sure I will be happy with whatever aslong as it remains rear-wheel drive, beautiful, affordable, and powerful.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:05 AM
VSJ
TECH Regular

GM dabbled with the retro design on the SSR and HHR which are VERY ugly vehicles imo. If theyre going to come out with something as pitiful as that, they may as well go with a new style.

Although, look how bad they did with the GTO. I dont think GM has enough taste to make a decent looking car anymore. (Corvette/Cadillac excluded)
Old 09-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Teching In

I voted for new style. The retro thing has been done. I just hope the design team that worked on the
GTO doesnt get to have a say in the new camaro design.

-Jason
Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 89FormulaLS2
...Retro foundation with some nice, LONG, new body lines. (I'm tired of all this short ultra-streamlined bubble-mobile crap - even the new C6 looks like a subcompact from the front fender side view.)

Oh - and make it FAST.

I can't say I'm totally for retro after seeing Ford's examples, but if it was done right it would be a good thing IMO. But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't makit it look ANYTHING like the new GTO!!! What the hell kind of test pool did they use when they deceided on that styling?!?!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

Default New New New

I like the way new cars look retro is just a bandwagon like reality tv was. Nothing beats the look of a different car instead of something thats already been done. I love curves///lines retro is too blockish!!!! Although that retro rendering of that new camaro looked sweet, that red one, retro wouldnt be too good since if people want retro they'd just buy a mustang. Another way to make retro good is to throw in there some non retro HP!!!!

Last edited by LS1 GG; 10-04-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote for the retro. I love the look of the concepts that are out there now. Especially the one with the streamlined grille, simulated lower valence panel, '67 style doors along with the '69 fender crease flares. Along with the LS2, with a LS7 option maybe, would be excellent. As for all those ppl talking about the GTO, i've lived in australia for the past two years, and the GTO is actually an Australian car. It's called the Monaro over there, and is their baseline performance model, after the 6 cylinders. The high end is the ClubSport. I think GM reallly really really messed up bringing it over. It's an european styled car, and in my opinion looks terrible. There's nothing like the look of the '67 GTO, and IMO, GM couldn't have done worse. I own a '67 camaro, and think it'd be excellent if they brought out a retro model camaro. Considering there's unlimited opportunities for new, i think that the Camaro name should resemble the legendary car that it once was, and styling reflect that.. and who gives a crap if Ford beat GM to the trigger on the retro look. Remember that the camaro came out 2 years after the mustang anyways. I hope GM steps up to the plate.

olly
Old 10-13-2005, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

The reason why the gto doesn't look like what we think a gto should look like is because it wasn't designed as a gto. It's a holden with a pontiac badge on it. Hopefully if they bring the camaro back, they don't go the retro fad route or slap a bowtie on another australian car that looks like a grocery getter.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Its more than obveous that GM reads these forums, so lets give them an idea of what us f-body buyers/owners would rather have if GM comes back out with them.
I personally dont care, as long as it performs good and looks good.
Agree!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Work with me here, but if they can make a compromise between the 4th and 3rd gen F-body in terms of size, stance, shape, I think you'd have one pretty unique car.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Do a new style, with some styling cues from the previous generations (like the Mustang did till they went total retro), that way you know right when you lay eyes on it, it's a camaro, and for gods sake GM put some dollars into advertising, it won't matter if it's the best car ever made, if people don't know about it, they won't buy it, the last Camaro commercial I recall was in 94-95, the 2 kids in the bedroom guessing what the car was by the engine sound, that ran for what maybe 6 months, c'mon you need to be selling this car like it's the greatest thing since sex and sliced bread.
I'll even give you an idea for a commercial:
Black & white with 60's style music, a 1st gen is carving corners on the Pacific Coast Highway, it disappears behind a hill, the film changes to modern color, with modern music, as the new Camaro crests the hill the 1st gen went behind, the tag line, Back and badder than ever

One more thing BRING BACK THE FIREBIRD

Last edited by 2K2WS6TA; 11-02-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:11 PM

Power, Weight, & price. who cares about retro.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I want retro.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think if they could pull of a good retro like the mustang did I'd be thrilled. I love the old style and even though alot of brands GM included seem to have dropped the ball on retro attempts when it works it works good.

Quick Reply: Retro vs new style