Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

emissions testing - LS1 engine in 92 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emissions testing - LS1 engine in 92 Camaro?

hello i am new to this board and i have been doing some looking around and i have some questions i wanted to know if i could get help with. i am looking to try to drop an ls1 eng with a 4l60e tranny in a 92 5.7l camaro. but my prob is before i start to do this would this be streel legal and pass emissions testing?
thanks for any help i can get
ps i did search but did not find anything that looked like it answered my question
Old 04-16-2005, 11:51 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure you can , even in California , I believe. You won't have a problem with putting a newer engine in a older car. Perfectly legal. It's when you put an older engine in a newer car that might cause you problems. Emmissions laws vary from state to state and even within the state from county to county. Here in TN, if you live in a major metropolitan area or a surrounding county , you have to go through testing . In rural counties , you don't . They are looking at changing these laws but that's the way it is for now.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:50 PM
Teching In

thanks i was not sure if it would pass i was looking at www.speartech.com but they said something about not pass emissions testing
Old 04-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

im pretty sure as long as you got all the smog equipment (egr and air valves) they wouldn't even notice. you could check with a referee in your state to make sure or just check local law. a lot of guys are so dumb at smog though, they wouldn't even notice as long as had the egr and air valves
Old 04-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Teching In

yea well i am in pa right now and i know enough shops that if you lip them a 50 they will pass it running open headers but i am moving to delaware and the state dmv does the testing
Old 04-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

I've always heard if you replace an engine in a car with a newer engine, the vehicle will be held to the emissions standards of that engine. Example: you swap out the 5.7 in your 92 with a LS1 from a 2000 F-bod... you now must meet the 2000 f-bods standards. That's mearly something I've heard mind you. I have no idea how they would be able to tell though unless you told them what you did. The emissions folks here would never notice- they just look for the pass/fail and make sure things like cats and mufflers are present.

Quick Reply: emissions testing - LS1 engine in 92 Camaro?