Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Advice On This Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On This Camaro

I'm looking to buy my 14 year old cousin a nice present for his Birthday... his Mom is currently in prison, his dad commited suicide, and he is living with my grandparents. Obviously he has been a little depressed latley so I figured what's better then a Camaro to cheer him up. He loves mine so I went looking for an affordable 93-97 Z28. Reliable, fast, decent gas mileage. He is a good driver and in South Dakota you can have an actual drivers liscense at 14 and drive until 10pm. Anyway now to the car...

1993 Z28 Camaro

Price $5,950
Body Style Hatchback
Mileage 129,361
Exterior Color Black
Interior Color Charcoal
Engine 8 Cylinder Gasoline
Transmission Automatic
Drive Type 2 wheel drive - rear
Fuel Type Gasoline
Stereo AM/FM Stereo Tape
Doors Two Door
Stock No. D4842
VIN 2G1FP22P3P2101112

CAMARO * Vehicle includes: Power Steering, Power Brakes, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, Power Driver's Seat, AM/FM Stereo Radio, Compact Disc Player, Trip Odometer, Tachometer, Air Conditioning, Tilt Steering Wheel, and Cruise Control.if you want a car that will gto fast, this one should be a contender for you. the chevrolet camaro z-28! 350 v8

Driver Air Bag; Air Conditioning; Alloy Wheels; Cruise Control; Rear Window Defroster; Power Seats; Power Door Locks; Power Mirrors; Power Windows; Power Steering; Tinted Glass; Tilt Wheel; \

The car is located about 2 hours away so I haven't had a chance to inspect it but it's from a reliable dealership from what I've heard and it looks really clean in the pictures. The only thing that concerns me is the mileage, but I know the LT1 is a reliable engine that can run up into the 200,000 without problems. What do you guys think? Good price, good car, go for it or what?

The owner of the dealership says that the car runs like new, was well taken care of and he will give me a 3 month warranty with it.

It is a bit higher then bluebook but around our area a nice Camaro is hard to find espically with a cool paint job done less then a year ago.

*There is also another 93 Z28 close to us for only 3,000... but it's a repo pay off, looks to have a broken mirror, and is purple. I don't want to buy a previously wrecked car and I'm not sure about a repo.
Attached Thumbnails Advice On This Camaro-1352215782.180193222.im1.main.565x421_a.562x421.jpg  

Last edited by Chevy0utlaw; 05-05-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would never put a 14 year old in a V8 sports car, and I'm only 23!!!

Get him a nice quad, that should do it.

Or you could do any number of things, I wouldn't do the car though. Just my .02
Old 05-05-2005, 11:41 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds pretty good! Don't worry so much about the mileage as much as how well it's been taken care of.

That is a very generous present, your cousin should be thrilled
Old 05-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the responses guys. And I was kinda iffy about getting him a V8 Car but I think he can handle it. Of course he is a 14 year old boy but I believe he is mature enough to handle it with care and caution... espically since if he wrecks it or gets it taken away he is back to driving a 91 Tempo. I'm also considering getting him a nice smaller pickup that looks good and gets decent gas mileage for winter but my Grandparents are getting a new pickup and are planning on leaving him there 99 Ranger to drive in bad weather. They Think the Camaro is a great idea by the way, I talked to them before even considering trying to find him one.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Teching In

There is nothing wrong with letting the young man cut his teeth on a V8 camaro.... my boy is only 9 but he knows that the 88 Iroc is his when he is old enough to drive. If it is done right I think he will learn to appreciate the car more and take better care of it in the long run and probably even be a better driver because of it. IMO.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

your talking when he gets his learners permit then license right?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say the car is good for him, its just kinda hit or miss w/that age and that powerful of a car, i know if it were me i would have killed myself at 16 w/a z, but then again i know there is a 13 or 14 year old kid out there who can more than handle it, but if you think he can handle it then thats all you need, the car sounds good to me, looks real good too, if it were me tho i may have that govener reduced ALOT, (if thats even possible, which im sure it is)
Old 05-07-2005, 05:51 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
I'd say the car is good for him, its just kinda hit or miss w/that age and that powerful of a car, i know if it were me i would have killed myself at 16 w/a z, but then again i know there is a 13 or 14 year old kid out there who can more than handle it, but if you think he can handle it then thats all you need, the car sounds good to me, looks real good too, if it were me tho i may have that govener reduced ALOT, (if thats even possible, which im sure it is)
Yep, speed limiter settings can be edited with tuning software
Old 05-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

A 14 year old in a Z28 will kill himself or someone else. As a father of a 21 year old boy, I'm telling you don't do that. He has already had too much saddness in his short life!! You are very kind and it's a great thought BUT... I can't see it ending up well for him in the long run.

I don't think there is anything you could do to slow the car down that he couldn't undo as soon as your back is turned. Thats how teenagers work!

Last edited by 89rsragtop; 05-07-2005 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

In South Dakota you get your learners permit at 14 and you have to drive with a parent or an 18+ adult... after 6 months (3 if you take Drivers Ed) You go back and get your Restricted Liscense and can drive from 6am to 10pm. Then when your 16 you get your regular liscense.

I appreciate the opinions and advice and I think lowering the Governor to maybe 85 would be a good idea considering it is a powerful car and I don't want him testing the limits until he can handle it. Is there anyway you can set the car to stall if you floor it to fast or anything like that?
Old 05-07-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You could set the limiter but I dont know about cutting the fuel when he floors it. That probably wont be possible.

Just remove the #7 and #8 plugs.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:33 AM
Teching In

you could just get a nice looking six cylinder, he wont have to worry about speed. Im 18 and could care less because i get 30 mpg highway and my only mods are stereo.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Teching In

I still vote for the eight... you can de-tune it while he is young if that is the big concearn, and then later he won't have to do an engine swap or get a whole new car all together just to restore some power.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

there is a thing...not sure of the name, but its like a black box on a plane. it will send you information about how he drives like speed and rate of acceleration. honestly, so far ive gotten less tickets with my older car (4cyl eclipse) than with my ls1, most because i know i have the power to go fast when ever i want, where as in the eclipse, if i had the oppertunity to go fast i better have taken it because it was so slow. im 18 and i respect the power my car has ( it took about a week) but i rarely push my car now unless i want to pass, or go to the track
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

I may have to track one of those "Black Box" things down. The main reason I'm buying this car is because of the feeling you get when you own a Camaro, I'm not against V6 Camaros at all but I do want him to be able to take the car to the strip when he gets older and play with it. My first car was a 91 Ford Tempo and if his first car is a 93 Z28 in awesome condition I think he will have more motivation to succeed. Right now he isn't doing well in school and doesn't care about much but when he gets the satisfaction of driving the car everyday I think he will be motivated to do what needs to be done. Plus I can always take the car away if he doesn't get his act together, and that is some serious motivation.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:41 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Here's some information on the 'black box' things

http://www.roadsafety.com/faqs_teen.php
http://www.rense.com/general26/teens.htm
http://www.drivehomesafe.com/speedco...verpermit2.htm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Mar1.html
http://www.alltrackusa.com/faq.html
Old 05-12-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

All kids are different. If you think he's mature enough and can handle it, go for it.

Don't ruin his day just because someone else's kid screws up.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Do it to it, the kid will love the car!!! If it makes him happy and doesnt kill you spending that money on him then why not give him the car. Vary nice of u!!!

Scott
Old 05-12-2005, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

my first car was a 67 Tempest Custom (just like a GTO, it was the base model) with a built Pontiac 400. I got into some trouble, but having a nice fast car made me worry more about it and drive more carefully than we would in my friends' crap cars that they did not care about (those were the cars we got crazy with). Get him the Z, it will be a good car for him, the only thing that he will be stuck with is a lifelong disease of dumping all of your spare money into your hotrod

ps I'm only 25 so I'm not like some elderstatesman or anything
Old 05-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info ACW, and I appreciate everyones opinons. We are going to look at the car this Saturday, and I talked the dealer down to $5500 which I think is a steal from the looks of the pics. By the way, love what you've done with your Z orange01z28... I oughta devote a couple minutes to making a nice sig and getting some pics of my car up. Haven't done much yet but I've been busy, with summer coming up I plan to throw a long list of mods in the beast.

Quick Reply: Advice On This Camaro