Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Is Chevy Destroying The SS Name?
Yes
68.11%
No
21.40%
Who Cares?
10.49%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy Destroying The SS Name?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005 | 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DGEN411
I think they should go back to using the Z series. The Cavalier had the Z24 the Beretta had the Z26 and the trucks still use the Z71 and nobody got offended about that. All in favor say I.
I
Old 08-21-2005 | 01:38 AM
Teching In

Default proof they all deserve thee SS badging.

i've been reading this thread and it seem's like most of you dont know enough about chevy history to be making these assumptions/statements... the 62-68 impala ss's were i'll handling land yacht's with standard inline 6 power! (at least untill 64) with bucket seats and a center console etc... how about the 62-64 nova ss only came with a inline 6 (they squezeed in a 327 option in 65) the 64-65 malibu ss came standard with a a inline 6 all you would get with these cars was a upgraded interior and badging... none of these cars could spin there "rear" tires anyway. in 1970 you could order a chevelle ss "wagon" nobody remembers this?... all they remember is the 66 chevelle ss 396, 70 chevelle ss 454, 69 camaro ss 396, 64 impala ss 409, and so forth. those were all great cars, but by no means were these the only ss's available. i don't mean to insult anyone or step on anyone's toe's, but the fact is these cars deserve the name ss as much as any of the above mentioned cars (in some case's even more so considering engine and handling packages). i love all the great cars of the 60's and 70's too, (there what sparked my love for cars) but times change, and we will have to cope.
hopefully they will bring back the camaro ss, but that should'nt mean killing off or attacking all these other cars. feel free to bash me all you want but do your research first :-)
Old 08-21-2005 | 03:28 PM
Banned

I guess the new trailblazer will keep me from going nuts It's faster than the new Impala SS I just hope they don't mess the camaro up.

Last edited by Iroc313; 08-21-2005 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2005 | 03:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2003_superado
i've been reading this thread and it seem's like most of you dont know enough about chevy history to be making these assumptions/statements... the 62-68 impala ss's were i'll handling land yacht's with standard inline 6 power! (at least untill 64) with bucket seats and a center console etc... how about the 62-64 nova ss only came with a inline 6 (they squezeed in a 327 option in 65) the 64-65 malibu ss came standard with a a inline 6 all you would get with these cars was a upgraded interior and badging... none of these cars could spin there "rear" tires anyway. in 1970 you could order a chevelle ss "wagon" nobody remembers this?... all they remember is the 66 chevelle ss 396, 70 chevelle ss 454, 69 camaro ss 396, 64 impala ss 409, and so forth. those were all great cars, but by no means were these the only ss's available. i don't mean to insult anyone or step on anyone's toe's, but the fact is these cars deserve the name ss as much as any of the above mentioned cars (in some case's even more so considering engine and handling packages). i love all the great cars of the 60's and 70's too, (there what sparked my love for cars) but times change, and we will have to cope.
hopefully they will bring back the camaro ss, but that should'nt mean killing off or attacking all these other cars. feel free to bash me all you want but do your research first :-)

This guy owned just about everyone is this thread
Attached Thumbnails Chevy Destroying The SS Name?-chinese-owned.jpg  
Old 08-21-2005 | 05:40 PM
12 Second Club

I know, i've been trying to explain that same point the entire time, although i never really went that far in depth.
Old 08-27-2005 | 02:52 AM
Teching In

66% of people on this board think chevy is ruining the ss name, the short history lesson speaks for it self... all ss ever was and "still is" is the flag ship sporty edition in it's respective model line. the only reason it disappeared from most production cars from the mid 70's to the early 90's is there was not enough interest in performance cars, and the cars were to dull... i think it's a great thing to see so many cars with the ss name on them, to me it means more poeple are interested in performance again, and cars today are interesting again... most new cars today i can recognize instantly, 10 years ago everything looked the same... i think they finaly realized if there gonna make it anyway they might as well give it some style!!! lol.
Old 08-30-2005 | 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Question SS non supercharged cobalt?

what killed me was when i saw you can now purchase an SS cobalt without the supercharger...

i copied what is below from chevy's cobalt site....they have three different displacement engines...the 2.2, 2.4 and 2.0...

SSCobalt Coupe SS: Starts at $18,790*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Build and Price
Get a Quote
Find a Vehicle
Highlights:
171-hp 2.4L High-Output engine
17-inch aluminum wheels and Sport tires
CD/MP3 player
Seven-speaker Pioneer premium sound system
Tuned Sport suspension
Complete list of standard & optional features

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SS SuperchargedCobalt Coupe SS Supercharged: Starts at $21,990*

Build and Price
Get a Quote
Find a Vehicle
Highlights:
205-hp 2.0L Supercharged engine
18-inch aluminum wheels and Z-rated tires
Five-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter
Leather-appointed front bucket seats with color-keyed perforated inserts
Old 08-30-2005 | 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

So now the SS isn't even exclusively for the top model in the line
Old 08-30-2005 | 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree. Scott Settlemier told me the exact same thing at this years F-Body Gathering when I asked him what he thought about people bashing GM for putting the SS badge on cars such as the Cobalt SS, etc. Good reply!
Old 08-30-2005 | 09:24 PM
12 Second Club

In my opinion the last real SS was the 2002 Camaro SS. To me an SS should be a rwd coupe. However the last real Impala SS (94-96) is worthy of the title to me. While the Trailblazer might be fast an SUV has no sense of "sport" whatsoever to me, period. I put SUVs in the same class as minivans. I know the newer Impala and Monte Carlo SS models are faster than the real ones but fwd and a supercharged V6 or fwd and a V8 just don't cut it for me. As a side note, I did own a 2003 Monte Carlo "SS" , only because my last Z28 was totaled and I couldn't find a replacement at the time. That car had no sport in it at all and couldn't get out of it's own way, much less anything else, it floated on the highway, and had loose steering.
Old 08-30-2005 | 10:20 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
So now the SS isn't even exclusively for the top model in the line
This happened before the Cobalt. In 04 you had the Monte SS and the Supercharged SS.
Old 08-31-2005 | 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

SUPER SPORT

Super as defined by Webster:
1 a -- used as a generalized term of approval <a super cook> b : of high grade or quality
2 : very large or powerful <a super atomic bomb>
3 : exhibiting the characteristics of its type to an extreme or excessive degree <super secrecy>

So lets see...........A Super Sport Monte Carlo...........fullfills this definition how? (sorry Monte fans, but you could of had a V8)

Think about it.........does Dale Junior drive a V6 front wheel drive at the track every weekend? Or even during the week as a commuter car?

Its about tradition too........SS meant something in the 60's. Now it means Supper Sport...........yeah this is all irrational but thats what being crazy about cars is all about. If your not car crazy...........buy a TrailBlazer C4xyJ99ssZ28+_)(*&^%$#@!
Have funnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 09-09-2005 | 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kenp
Never saw any Chevy II 6 cly with an SS Badge except for a few people who stuck the SS badge on themselves. There was an SS Nova model in around '68 or '69 that came out with a 350 and a huge holley 2 barrel and it could set the street on fire, otherwise the SS was a 396 and of course, the 350 SS wasn't quite the car that the 396 SS was. I agree with the notion that the SS was't given any suspension upgrades to give it any handling enhancements at the time the badging was conceived. In retrospect, the SS concept did change and it didn't necessarily have to be the car with the most HP and the Camaro is probably the car that made that change. I've lived around the Cincinnati area the majority of the time and some of you may not realize this, but the Camaro was originally manufactured in Norwood which is right close to Cincinnati, and then because of union problems and probably a need to increase production GM started making them in California also. Anyhow, the Camaro was the first line in the Chevrolet stable that I recall having the SS lable w/o having the most HP. I believe it was in 1969 that you could get a Camaro with an automatic and a 350 in an SS package. At the time, the Z28 still had the 302 and would beat the pants off the 350 and then there were the 396 and 427 Camaros and the Yenko Camaro. So, if you want to get right down to the nitty gritty, the sell-out of the SS badging just may have started with the Camaro line. Now, would I prefer that Chevrolet not put SS badging on SUV's and 4-bangers? Well, that's a big 10-4. But really, there are more important things in life, like mowing the grass and what I'm gonna have for lunch today. And then finding time to drive my SS Camaro around town. And if I were as disgruntled about the SS badging issue as some folks appear to be, why I'd go right out to the driveway and rip the SS badging off my Camaro in protest. I think I might do that today. Maybe I'll find some YUGO badging and put it on instead. Naw, I like it the way it is. The banter on the web site is always a hoot and also informative. Keep it up!
1st off: 63 Chevy II Nova could be had as an SS with a 250 cid six. Also 64 Chevelle could be had as an SS with a six. Both cars featured bucket seats and consoles. Additionally 63 & 64 Impala could be had as an SS with a six.

2nd: Nova started getting V8's in 63 (dealer installed) but didn't get an RPO code untill 64 (these were 283 cars). 66 YM saw the 1st of the 327 powered Novas including L79 327/350 hp as an RPO. 68 MY was 350 with 396 optional.

3rd: Camaro's were made at both the Norwood and the Van Nuys plant starting in Sept 66. Norwood did produce more cars though. I believe about 60,000+ of the 67 MY were produced in Van Nuys. The SS engine was the 350/295 which was unique to this car in 67. Base tranny was M13 3-speed. PG and M-20/21 4-speed was optional. 396/325 became available in November 66 as competition to Ford's introduction of the 390 in 1967 MY Mustang.

4th: FYI: I am 51 and was born and raised in LA.
Old 09-09-2005 | 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

OMG, you're right....I forgot about the 70 SS Chevelle wagon.....
Old 09-12-2005 | 05:51 AM
Teching In

Back when the pony car race was in full swing between the Mustang, Camaro and the Trans AM, nothing was scarier than sitting at a street light in a Mustang when a Camaro SS would pull up along side. When people look at the SS badge they look at something intimidating, scarey and menacing. Chevrolet is changing that image by stamping SS on everything and anything. Say for instance you were sitting in a Dodge Neon SRT-4 at a light and a Cobalt SS pulls up next to you. Wouldn't you be scared of the SS badging just from what you know the SS badge stands for? But then you race and you smoke the **** out of the Cobalt SS and it makes you think twice about the SS. It's no longer a symbol of power or status or performance...in your mind it is now a marketing tool that Chevrolet is bluffing on. And this seems to be happening alot. When you think of SS, you think of a Camaro and when that Camaro goes WOT...it makes you think the world is coming to an end...not anymore. Chevrolet is ******* up these days and needs to pull their heads out of thier asses. What the **** is an SSR? What the **** is an HHR? And sure enough what the **** is the AERO?, and that sad attempt to replace the Camaro with the SS that is to be released in November of this year? (The SS is suppose to be a hybrid Camaro/Corvette) There is no substitution for the Camaro you jackasses up at Corporate Chevy!...stop ******* around with the SS badging. This symbol of absolute dominance is no longer something people fear at the light wether it is at the street or strip...it is now becoming something they laugh at and take lightly. If and when the new Camaro is to be released (late 2007 supposedly) and they don't make a SS option that doesn't totally obliterate the Mustang Cobra....you will sadly see me on the other side of the fence...along with alot of former die hard chevy fans.
Old 09-12-2005 | 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

This is stupid. Camaro Z28 have always been faster than SSs anyway. SS is just another performance/appearance option, not some holy name like ZL1 that should be used seldomly. I agree that it is being overused however. Nothing, and I mean nothing, could ever make me swich over to Furd or imports though. Why pay 30k for a piece of **** when I can find mint "classic" chevy cars for 8k spend 7k on them and smoke almost any new Mustang or ricer.
Old 09-12-2005 | 08:43 PM
Banned

werd I'm sticking with chevy but I hate what they have done to it now. BTW has anybody seen the new impala ss commercial yet they forgot add the displacement probably to keep the sales up
Old 09-12-2005 | 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey people lets not rag on 4-bangers. There is nothing wrong with being able to get over 450 miles on a 13 gallon tank.

Besides the SRT-4 Dodge Neon has a package for their supercharger that brings the car to 240 hp at the crank. For a car with affordable insurance at an age under 25 you simply can't scoff at it. Besides that supercharger upgrade is only $450.

My insurance hit over $450 a month with no tickets and no accidents with myt z28 when I was 19. I paid more for the right to drive the car than i paid for the f*cking thing.

Plus I can't image what I would do if I swapped cams, I drive everyday of the week everywhere on the planet and gas is freakin' killing me and I get 300 on a tank.

My 1977 Firechicken (301 V8 Pontiac Firebird Espirit) only had 115 hp at the crank stock. My friends 1985 Chevy Celebrity went about as fast. Talk about friggin' humiliating.

SS should just mean the maxed out package for a vehicle, if SS loses it value it is because GM can't compete with the other companies SS equivalents.

Besides my wife looks damn cute in a red SVT Ford focus. She looks ridiculous driving the Z28.

We would have to live in Being or Hong Kong to have a phone book big enough for her to sit on.
Old 09-12-2005 | 11:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can see the camaro ss that was once associated with an even higher level of performance being seen by people as just an appearance mod of sorts. Like oh, its just got the hood and the wheels
Old 09-14-2005 | 10:14 PM
On The Tree

This is why I'm glad I have a Z28, nothing else can be called that but a Z28 Camaro.

Quick Reply: Chevy Destroying The SS Name?