Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

I just bought a 91' Chevy RS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a high rise spoiler for your thirg gen i bought for mine but then i changed my mind these came on the 92 models i have a 91 ive hade for about 4 yrs now it was just like you described yours i had the 5.0 tbi thats a good motor if you just knew what i woulod do with that car i bought with 55,000 miles when i did a motor swap that motor had and im not kidding 195,445 that **** never smoked on me once now ive put in a 350 tpi, 700r4 trans, 99 rear differential 4th gen seats, a custom paint job, z06 wheels, theres alot you can do with thes things all you need is TIME and money i think ive spent about 7k on it right now im saving money so i can get the new vette motors 6.0 good luck on your car man
Old 07-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

the car's got 107k miles on it and the only time it smokes is on start up and thats just like a puff of smoke and then its gone. The 305 TBI engines were supposedly rock solid engines, and I just love the way the car drives, once I slap on new tires on this thing, get a good wax job she'll truly be a thing of beauty. As far as purchasing a 305 TPI, I am not sure, the TBI is not a performance engine as everyone knows but its still good and it provides me with more than enough acceleration.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 91ChevyRS
as much as I like the sound of having a 275hp 3rd gen Camaro, 4500 dollars is a little too much money for me and I would much rather have the Lt1 based Z28s.

A few people told me that in order to save myself some money I'd have to primer it, and alot of people told me Maaco was a bad place to go to to get your car painted. There are a few bodyshops around and plus I know someone who has a very nice paintjob on his car but said it was costly...I like that dark gray metallic color, it looks very good and if I get a Z28 stock hood along with that, the car will look awesome.
Macco is bad. Do your research!!! Read this link, this is what happened to my car.
http://members.***.net/camarors/fischersautobody.html

My paint job was $1600. However, I did 75% of the prep.
1. I removed all external pieces (grill, t-top weather strip, door pieces, lights, handles, logos, mirrors, and spoiler.
2. I had the shop spray the mirrors and spoiler off the car
3. I replaced all the lights, grill, logos, and handles with brand new stuff. That added about $800 to the job.
4. I sanded and prepped a few places.
5. After it was all done, I put the car back together

The pictures do not do my car justice. The new paint and new parts were the perfect thing. I have seen cars with new paint and 12 year old parts. Looks like ***. If you have to, buy a part here and there and do it right. Doing it twice sucks. It was a lot of work, but worth it.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

I am very sorry that happened to you...

Its not like the entire car needs to be painted, the roof is fading away and the hood is kind of getting there as well.

I went to an automotive detailing car wash shop yesterday to see what they can do. They said they can do a wax and finish job for about 60 bucks and try to blend the crap on the roof in with the rest of the car. As far as the hood goes, hey said they would work on that one as well.

Cap N Car Care auto detailing is pretty good but pricey, I know of someone who got his car washed there (trust me, this car was unbearable to look at, it was dirty, blotch spots everywhere, the car was covered in grease, the interior was hideous, I forgot the color of the car, the wheels were coated with black crap all over it) and for 130 bucks they washed the car using an extremely detailed and computerized system, they waxed the car by hand and then ran it through the car wash again, and buffered out the entire body and eliminating the grease spots. They washed the wheels to make em look like new again, and they literally shampooed the carpets in the car, washed out the floor mats, eliminated all the stains inside the car, cleaned up the dash real nice, and basically made the car new again. I dont know if they can do the same for me, but for 130 bucks I may just go with them and see what they can do for my car. I brought my previous car to them one time because I have been having clear coat problems with it as well, they told me nothing can be done to save it and you would be better off getting an entirely new paintjob. So I am afraid they may say the same about the Camaro but I sure hope they can atleast reduce the damaging effects or something until I can raise enough money to do a repaint on the car.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2500.00 for all the small dings removed , plus painted rally stripes:
Attached Thumbnails I just bought a 91' Chevy RS-misc-pics-037-1.jpg  
Old 07-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

since everyone else is ignoring my other topic I thought I just may post it here and hopefully get one answer.

Since I bought the Camaro last week I have been smelling gas outside of the car...I was told that sometimes the gas fumes evaporate from the mouth of the tank when you fill up and actually that did happen to me as I spilled just a minimal amount on the tip of the tank. However that was last week, now when I filled up today I made sure I didn't spill anywhere and I sealed the gas cap shut and went about my business. When I got home and parked the car, I stepped out for a brief second sniffing a whiff of gasoline coming my way. I checked under the car, no leaks, no fluids, nothing under there, I checked the gas cap area just to make sure I didnt spill any gas at the tip and it was dry as it can be. Then I went under the hood to check for any clues at all there and there was nothing there either...

Could this mean a bad fuel pump or something, or a bad gas cap. The car passed AZ emissions last year, gas cap test and everything but I am afraid if I leave it like this smelling gas everywhere it may affect the emmissions on when I do get it done...

I just want to know because I particularly dont like smelling gas outside of my cars, its just not a healthy thing to be breathing into your system. Should I take it to someone and see if they can tell me or what is going on here?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be a number of things. I'd put the car on jackstands and poke around the fuel tank and fuel lines. The fuel pump could have been replaced and a bad seal on the top of the fuel tank is the culprit.This is going to be hard to diagnose on the internet. Do a close undercar inspection and give me your results.