Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Big Block to Small Block in 1st-gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 05:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Block to Small Block in 1st-gen?

i dont know about the mounts in a first gen camaro and was wondering if i the mounts are the same for big blocks and small? i wanna take out the big block and put in a small block so the car is streetable so its not a garage queen anymore... thanks guys no nothings original so its not gonna hurt the value so dont eat me up lol...
Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

No, the engine (frame) mounts are not the same (I believe the isolators are the same though). I wouldn't eat you up as I have done several SBC to BBC conversions on 67's and 68's. As I recall (I was doing this 20 years ago so bear with me) the BB would sit too far back in the chasis (approx 1.5") if SB frame mounts were used. As well BB frame mounts position the engine 1-2" towards the right (passenger) side of the car to allow clearance for steering gear (also shifter if automatic.....this is also why heater box has hoses relocated. 4-speeds have different sheet metal in tunnel). Can you put a small block on big block frame mounts? I don't really know (I think so, never tried it), but why bother as frame mounts are readily available as repop items from several sources. Hope this helps.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest changing the front springs on the suspension ,too.BB springs would probably put the nose in the upper stratosphere with a small block.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:33 PM
7 Second Club

The rubber/poly mounts between small block and big block are usually the same, however some had different size cushions and/or spacing. The frame mounts are definately different. The frame mounts differed for a few reasons:

1-hood clearance
2-engine setback in the car
3-steering gearbox clearnace

A friend of mine has a big block on small block mounts in a Nova (same frame and engine mounts as a 69 Camaro) and it actually helped due to the engine being further back in the bay, although header clearance suffered a little on the driver's side.

I agree to change the frame mounts, and at least inspect the motor mounts before slapping them back in place, The coil springs shouls also be replaced due to about 150-250 pounds of less weight over the nose of the car when you swap engines!

Derek
Old 09-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Teching In

well i dont believe the BBC in it is original and i dont know if he used the stock mounts or not... i know he had the fire wall cut its just i dont wanna have the car as a drag car and twist it all up i'd rather put the engine in a mid 80's monte carlo or 2nd gen camaro... so i wanna take the BBC out and put the small block in... how can i tell if the mounts are BBC mounts or SBC mounts.. no idea if he changed it or not when he put in the BBC
Old 09-14-2005, 08:30 PM
7 Second Club

PM me an e-mail address and I'll send pictures of what the 2 look like...

Derek

Quick Reply: Big Block to Small Block in 1st-gen?