Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

First Gen Camaro Projects

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Gen Camaro Projects

a post in the muscle car thread about converting first gens to EFI, modern suspension/braking/etc really got me thinking. however i have a couple questions

how much do first gens in cood condition go for as rolling chassies? i'd imagine a wrecked ls1 donor for a swap would work well?

would the total cost of a LS1 swap into a first gen (including the price of the car plus restoration if needed) be a whole lot more than just buying a modern ls1 camaro? i know it'd be a lot more original

i almost creamed my pants when i saw that pic of that red LS6 first gen in that thread
Old 10-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Teching In

personally, i wouldnt do that to a good condition car. if you are going to replace everything on it, might as well not start with perfectly good parts. really they can go for about any price depending on how much work the owner has in it. shop ebay and it can give you an idea of what you're looking at.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the car you're talking about, and the price to duplicate that, you could buy a new C6 vette (at least come damn close)
Unless you can do most of the work yourself, the labor for building something like that would be crazy, (and if you can ) not to mention the parts cost, and the paint/bodywork definately ain't Maaco.
You can make certain economies in building something like that, like doing one thing at a time, but for a build of that depth you'd likely be better off just taking the car down to nothing, then just replacing the parts with whatever you want/can afford
Old 10-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

yeah that car is the best

but what about a clean (not necessarily perfect) first gen with an ls1/drivetrain/suspension swap?
Old 10-16-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeremys
yeah that car is the best

but what about a clean (not necessarily perfect) first gen with an ls1/drivetrain/suspension swap?
The drivetrain is relatively easy, (motor mounts, fuel system, and electrical)the suspension, you'll have lots of choices, rebuilt stock, modded stock, or the complete replacement of the stock stuff.
The route you go will be determined by the depth of your wallet, and your mechanical skill.
I'd suggest browsing thru the net and see what's available (and the price) for the suspension upgrades
Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

On average, you'll be looking at 8-9k for a good roller.

Quick Reply: First Gen Camaro Projects