Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

'83 camaro engine help (327 conversion done)

Old 12-06-2005, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '83 camaro engine help (327 conversion done)

ok... well i have a friend with a '83 camaro red/w a tanish interior. the car in immaculate shape for its age. very good paint, no dents, very few scratches, no blemishes... but anyways. its got a 327 from some year cheby in it with a 5spd tranny. hydralic clutch (spelling). and its carbureted to boot. well... he wants me to do work to it to make it faster than my truck (i pull him 2 cars in my truck without the juice on). he says his carb doesnt open all the way and has a bunch of excuses for it but anyways... whats a good setup for the motor? hes got about 1300 to spend on it he says. ive researched stuff and there is nothing 327 specific. can all 350 parts fit in a 327 then? please help me someone, im lost with his car... haha. what size carb can it take up to, and how would a 500cfm edelbrock do on it? ive got one laying around and thought of throwing it on to see how it ran. right now the car has midlength headers, single 3" exhuast back to the muffler then its 2.5" out of the muffler (dual). its got some sort of mild cam in it that i can hear and 3.73 gears out back. do these engines like headwork and what is a good streetable cam? do they make new rockerarms for them? please fill me in with some info, he wants to get this project rolling asap. thanks! -paul
Old 12-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1300 would buy you a decent intake , cam and springs . Any external parts would work with the 350 or 327 blocks as would heads.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, thanks for the info man. only bad thing is i think he just totaled his car today. he got T-boned from pulling out on someone. whole door is caved in and rear quarter too. looks like the roof is alittle bent too, i couldnt tell cause it was night. no one got hurt, and his car is still driveable. the other car had a cracked radiator. he didnt tell me what it was cause he cant tell what other cars look like very good.

Search this Thread