Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Terrible exhaust sound after cutout install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Terrible exhaust sound after cutout install

Just installed a cutout on my SS. Only other mod is a whisper lid. Now at WOT, there is a terrible noise (only thing I can think to compare it to is a burping sound) coming from the cutout when it shifts gears. It sounds terrible, and its really pissing me off. The car sounds great going through the gears at light and medium throttle, but that sound is really annoying at WOT. I've been told its maybe torque management causing it to cut the timing at the shifts and cause the noise, but I need some "professional" opinions here. You guys are best at what you do, so.......
Old 03-07-2006, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not that tech savvy. But i noticed something different about the sounds between shifts when i changed my exhaust (The Loudmouth beeing more flowing than stock). Between shifts i can here something as well. It's almost like a gurgle kind of thing. Hard to explain.
If it's what i think it is, it has something to do with decrease in back pressure. And i don't think it's an issue? I could be completely wrong though. In that case completely disregard. But i tried to help, sort of.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RedlineBrian
I'm not that tech savvy. But i noticed something different about the sounds between shifts when i changed my exhaust (The Loudmouth beeing more flowing than stock). Between shifts i can here something as well. It's almost like a gurgle kind of thing. Hard to explain.
If it's what i think it is, it has something to do with decrease in back pressure. And i don't think it's an issue? I could be completely wrong though. In that case completely disregard. But i tried to help, sort of.
That's the sound I'm getting...My buddy has an 01 SS M6 with the same mods as me and his never makes the noise when we run. It's a really annoying sound for sure! I appreciate the response. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one hearing this.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:32 PM
Launching!

are you only running through the cutouts at the track. i am assuming by cut outs you mean that you take off a plate and the exhaust no longer exits through your muffler gives you more flow like the racers use. is it possible that when you hammer it less more fuel is sent through the engine unburned and that it might be collecting in the pipe for the cutouts. i believe that that could reignite and give you a burping sound in your pipes if that is what you are talking about. kind of like a back fire but not as loud because it goes through the muffler. just a thought. you might also have a back pressure issue.