Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Buying a Z, how many miles is just too much?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Buying a Z, how many miles is just too much?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...en&cardist=100
If this car is even still for sale, im sure I could talk the guy down a bit more for the mileage and the fact that his hp is underrated. But just to throw the general question out there, i only have about 9g to spend total on a Z, I know the mileage will be semi high for that kind of price, but how much is just too much were it would be blowing parts left and right?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the car has been properly maintained (even if it's been halfway maintained) it can go well over 100k without any problems what so ever. 98k on that car is really nothing to scoff at and the price is pretty sweet too. My suggestion is take it for a drive, listen very carefully, row through the gears, check the oil and have a compression test done on it. If after all of that checks out ok then drive on brother

Last edited by Hobb3s; 04-27-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hobb3s
If the car has been properly mainted (even if it's been halfway maintained) it can go well over 100k without any problems what so ever. 98k on that car is really nothing to scoff at and the price is pretty sweet too. My suggestion is take it for a drive, listen very carefully, row through the gears, check the oil and have a compression test done on it. If after all of that checks out ok then drive on brother
+1 to that miles aren't as important as treatment through them.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Tech Resident

my friends 130k car runs better than my 55k car so its all about how well it was taken care of
Old 04-27-2006, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Good to know. Unfortunatly that blue z28 sold, but i have found other deals around that price with similar mileage. How many miles can I expect to squeeze out of it with good treatment to the car before somthing should go wrong?
Old 04-27-2006, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

My buddys 99 Z has 110k+ and runs fine. Like others said, its just about how you take care of the car as well as how the previous owner did. Im just past 97k myself and my car runs better than at 60k(A lot of freeway miles).
Old 04-28-2006, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixil
Good to know. Unfortunatly that blue z28 sold, but i have found other deals around that price with similar mileage. How many miles can I expect to squeeze out of it with good treatment to the car before somthing should go wrong?
A well taken care of LSx car should easily be able to make 200k without breaking anything.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

i would never buy a car that has over 90k miles on it, its just plain retarted.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TX99LS1
i would never buy a car that has over 90k miles on it, its just plain retarted.
Feel free to elaborate...
Old 04-28-2006, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

well you have no idea what its been through wether or not ANY of the fluids have been changed, how often oil was changed, and you dont know if all those 90 thousand miles were all ground poundin miles from hell, put on there by some dumbass teenager joy ridin in the car daddy bought him. Im just sayin ya never know, but there are also cases of low mileage cars being fucked up too, like one of my friends just had to have a black on black 02 Trans Am with under 40k miles on it, low and behold he found it, and what happens he ends up paying over $2000 dollars in the first few weeks in repairs, turns out the axel housing was bent ( i dont know how ya even do that) but im just sayin ya never know what kind hell and torment the car has been through, ya have a better chance with a car that hasnt been on the road as long. Just my .02.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TX99LS1
well you have no idea what its been through wether or not ANY of the fluids have been changed, how often oil was changed, and you dont know if all those 90 thousand miles were all ground poundin miles from hell, put on there by some dumbass teenager joy ridin in the car daddy bought him. Im just sayin ya never know, but there are also cases of low mileage cars being fucked up too, like one of my friends just had to have a black on black 02 Trans Am with under 40k miles on it, low and behold he found it, and what happens he ends up paying over $2000 dollars in the first few weeks in repairs, turns out the axel housing was bent ( i dont know how ya even do that) but im just sayin ya never know what kind hell and torment the car has been through, ya have a better chance with a car that hasnt been on the road as long. Just my .02.
That goes for pretty much any used car that's out there. Buying any used car is always a gamble, but if you know what to look/listen for than you've at least got a better chance of not buying into someone else's problem.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has over 140k on it and runs awesome. As long as the car has been maintained properly it should have no problems.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Teching In

I guess the same could be said for an lt1, even if its older, like a 95?
Old 05-02-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sixil
I guess the same could be said for an lt1, even if its older, like a 95?
Correct, but you've got to watch out for that opti-spark. When it goes, it's expensive and a huge PITA to replace.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would do my best to keep the mileage under about 60k or so myself. It's just personal preference when all is said and done but I don't see the point on spending 10k on a used car with 100k miles on it.

There is just too much risk and you can get 00+ LS1's with about 60k miles on them in the 10k range. I'd say to save up for a little while longer to be able to get a little better mileage. You just might have to look for awhile and be willing to drive.

When I was shopping for mine I tried to find a car that was cheap due to things that I knew I could fix, or things that I knew were going to be replaced/upgraded anyways. Paint that needed a good polish job, bad wheels/tires I was going to replace anyways, simple things like brakes and detailing I knew I could take care of myself.

Sure it's nice buying a garage queen but there's going to be a definite tax tied to that. Since most of us really care and know how to take a car from daily driver looks to well maintained... why pay for that?

I'd also get the newest year possible. 01-02's have performance advantages, but even outside of that, someone pushing a 95 with 30k miles... well... that car is going to have it's own share of problems just because it is that much older. 5 years is a long time in terms of rubber parts rotting out, things rusting, plastics hardening, and so forth. I really think the drivetrains on these cars are pretty solid, all things considered, but problems with a loose body, rust, or rotting rubber/plastic parts will nickel and dime you to death and drive you crazy in the process.

Those kinds of niggling problems, squeaks, and looseness are the only reason I sold my 93 in the first place, and it had 155k good miles on it.

There really is no steadfast rule. Find a car that feels good, see if the owner comes off as someone who actually knows the car, or someone that pumped gas into it and nothing else. If they know the car, chances are they took care of it.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Mileage to me is overrated, but then I have over 145K miles on my 2001 SS. And it still drives perfectly, then again I maintain it rigorously. When I hear of people touting low mileage cars, I can't help but wonder why it is a low mileage car. Many times it was not dependable enough to drive on a daily basis ... or if it was, it was neglected by allowing the fuel or fluids to create a build up on the fluid lines, causing hard starts. I would recommend you drive any car that gets your interest and evaluate it on how it runs, it could be a low mileage car or high mileage car ... but both can be in very good shape or hiding mechanical gremlins. You have both sides of the spectrum to analyze as I mentioned above and as others have mentioned. The key to purchasing a used car is to fully evaluate the mechanical condition of the vehicle, if you can't then take it to someone you trust who can.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How about 6000 miles??? Just joking....I wouldnt touch anything over 100K

John
Old 05-17-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree with TX99LS1
Old 05-17-2006, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 12secSS
... When I hear of people touting low mileage cars, I can't help but wonder why it is a low mileage car...
Low mileage cars make me nervous for three reasons:
1. The mileage may have been altered
2. It's used on a lot a short drives, and the car doesn't get warmed up - Bad!
3. It sits for long periods of time - Bad, Bad!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Resident

Ours has 69k

Quick Reply: Buying a Z, how many miles is just too much?