Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

New Camaro better get IRS

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Camaro better get IRS

My friend Franz has got me into autocross, he has an FC which handles alot better than my car and is alot easier to adjust the shocks.

He keeps making fun of my Solid Axle but still helps me tune my suspension. So when I told him the new Camaro might come with independant suspension he gave me an evil clap and said " It's about ****** time. " He said the 4th gen Fbod shouldve got IRS since the C4 had it. He'd like to go to an autoshow where it shows the Camaro and just talk **** about the suspension. He thinks maybe it'll come with a 12 bolt when it comes into production so it wont compete with his FC.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

From an engineering/manufacturing standpoint, I imagine IRS is much more expensive than a solid rear axle, and is why the camaro has solid and the vette, IRS. One of the many reasons the camaro costs A LOT less than a corvette.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Restricted User

it all depends, its like the 03'/04' cobra guys, once they get some kind of "big" power some of them want to swap the old 5.0 solid axle...IRS sucks in a "muscle" car...because all people seem to do in these things is drag or street race, in a STRAIGHT line..lol but i understand why u think IRS would be sweet..it would be something different for the camaro, and it would definitely be a plus for u autoX guys..but who knows it all depends on how well it will work out when the car's actually out on the streets and tested
Old 05-09-2006, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

most domestics arnt exaclty the best idea for an autoX car anyway. miatas,rx7 and 240sxs are pretty hot on the road racing scene. the ones that are good at ti are usually pretty expensive ie vipers and vettes.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt realize how bad the imports outhandle the Fbods, I watch Initial D which is a car drifting anime Franz has got me into. Its great and I wanna have as much fun on the corners as I do on the straight line.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:01 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

I hope the new Camaro has IRS. I don't understand why so many hate on it when the Z06's have them and run in the 11's stock. IRS obviously isn't slowing it down that much. IRS would allow the Camaro to at least have a good/better chance in the autocross/roadrace scene. I think I read on here that it is easier to change an IRS to a solid axle than the other way around. If the Camaro shares a platform with the new Impala or whatever, that could help keep down the cost.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

I hope it comes with a solid 12-bolt. I don't wanna have to deal with grenading halfshafts the first time I hit the strip with slicks!!! Can't wait til they come out...
Old 05-12-2006, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't mind it so much if it would be designed to stand up to HP/TQ increases that are inevitable when people get they greasey mits on the 5th Gen. I guess I ought to lurk around the GTO forums to see how there IRS rears hold up under a weighty car with alot of HP.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Yeah if it can handle the power and support the weight transfer to keep a low 60' while keeping costs down then I'm all for it..... but if not, solid!!!!
Yeah, the camaro setup decently is an awesome corner carver for a domestic

Quick Reply: New Camaro better get IRS