Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Overheating problems..PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating problems..PLEASE HELP!!

Hey guys, Just recently i've been having a problem with my 02 ls1 overheating on the highway. Around town the temperature is fine and never goes above the half way mark on the gauge. But when I get up around 75 and higher on the highway if the A.C. is on i'll notice that first it starts to get warm and next thing the temp. will start shooting up. The same happens if I turn the A.C. off or it is turned off the whole time. The first time it happened I didn't even notice until the "check gauges" light came on and the thing was in the red zone! Then as soon as I get off the interstate the temp comes right back down to halfway point again. This has only started in the last week or so and does it every time now I get up to higher speeds.

Is it possible that the radiator fan isn't coming on because the car thinks it doesn't need it because of the high speeds? Any help whatsoever would be much appreciated...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Launching!

i used to have this problem with my 95. is it at all possible that you hit something tearing off the air extractor under the front of the car? the second fan is a possibility but if i remember that second fan usually kicks in when idling hot most of the time cause on the freeway you should have plenty of air getting through it. check to see if you still have the air grabber under neath. have you recently put any ground effects on it. if you have you need to get a longer air extractor. mine had ground effects and when i would get above 65 the air seemed to divert below the air grabber all together. so my car would do the same as yours i used to turn on the heat and that would bring the temp down until i could get the longer air grabber.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

It totally sounds like you lost the air deflector or possibly... did you do something silly like take it off? lol.. if you did put it back on and problems will be solved.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Launching!

did you figure out the problem?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

something odd must have happened,

if a vehicle overheats, it should do it on the street more as opposed to the highway, since air should be hitting the radiator,

but with the a/c on, shouldn't that activate the fans sooner ??

what is the verdict ??

Quick Reply: Overheating problems..PLEASE HELP!!