Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

suggestions for making an 01 camaro ss lighter

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions for making an 01 camaro ss lighter

just like the topic says....what would u all suggest to do this. i'm looking for a weight close to a zo6. no more than a 100lbs heavier if possible. any thoughts?
Old 06-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Hmmm....let's see....take the rear seat out, the spare and jack, the sound system and ac if you can live without them, lighter after market wheels, after market exhaust weighs a little less, after market upper and lower a-arms and k member (BMR advertises something like 50lbs. with these), lighter brakes.....that all should help you out. I'm sure some others will chime in with better advice though.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Strip your interior (carpet, all Paneling, console, seats, ect), radio, replace glass w/ lexan, fiberglass hood, remove any power options, air bags
Old 06-24-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say the major components listed such as all the interior stuff (jack, seats, etc.) and then if you want to spend a little bit more, fiberglass. It makes a big difference. Those lexan windows would help a lot too.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

well this is still gonna be a street car, so i need to keep the safety stuff for inspection purposes. honestly i want to keep all the interior parts except for the rear seats of course. i would remove the a/c comppressor and condensor from the engine. and get lighter weight suspension parts (k-memeber, a-arms, etc) and the fiberglass hood for starters. how much of a difference do u think that would make?? how much do the lexan windows weigh? and are they good for everyday use? i would also want to tint the windows. basically i want it to look stock on the outside like any other car, except be lighter.
Old 06-25-2006, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drdarkman
well this is still gonna be a street car, so i need to keep the safety stuff for inspection purposes. honestly i want to keep all the interior parts except for the rear seats of course. i would remove the a/c comppressor and condensor from the engine. and get lighter weight suspension parts (k-memeber, a-arms, etc) and the fiberglass hood for starters. how much of a difference do u think that would make?? how much do the lexan windows weigh? and are they good for everyday use? i would also want to tint the windows. basically i want it to look stock on the outside like any other car, except be lighter.
Going to be damn near impossible to get your car down to the weight you want without giving up a LOT of the amenities.

Lexan isn't the greatest for everyday use. It scratches easily and your car will not pass inspection with it.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hobb3s
Going to be damn near impossible to get your car down to the weight you want without giving up a LOT of the amenities.

Lexan isn't the greatest for everyday use. It scratches easily and your car will not pass inspection with it.

lol somehtin gives me the feeling that people asking about weight reduction most of the time dont have street legal cars....most of have friendly inspectors...
Old 06-25-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Headers?

Quick Reply: suggestions for making an 01 camaro ss lighter