Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Heads And Cam Or Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Heads And Cam Or Supercharger

i was wondering what everyones opinion was on heads and cam or super charger. which would you guys go with and why. what are the pros and cons? i'm stuck on which to go with.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me, I'm doing H/C very mild then Turbo.

I feel that turbo setups propperly done are the best way to make power out of any internal conbustion engine.

You can do a mild H/C and FI. I understand you probbly mean a mean setup like MS4 TReX etc, I just wanted to point out you can do both

You really have to ask your self what you want most and why.

I am going with turbo as it's the best way to make power in my eyes, I already have built an all motor car. I like the fabbbing required when making your own kit *route i'm going*
Old 06-28-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would do both man, get your motor ready with heads and cam, then after your motor is already pushin some power, go FI for even more. its just that you have to watch your compresion, if you are definatly going to go FI in the future keep it low, if your are just going to be strait up h/c go high, or find a medium some where, and do h/c now then FI later.

just my .02
Old 06-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Do the H/C Setup, then invest in a bottom end before you go any further. Rod bolts don't like high spinning cams, bearing don't like high compresson heads, and pistons don't like to be run lean from a supercharger or turbo. Do a LOT of research before you start, and take in mind that you need to plan on what your fina goal for the car is. If you don't have a end point then you are going to spend big bucks just piecing things together that won't work once you add another performance part on top of it.

In other words, if you want to make a street car with a supercharger, then make sure all the components will hold up to it first before you put the boost to it. This goes beyond motor work though, transmissions will come apart and rear ends will break. Remember that if you plan on going to the track, you ARE going to break stuff. If your plans are for street, you don't have to put as much money into it keeping it together.

Just my .02 cents.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Banned

I've already broken most of my stock parts and upgraded over time so that's covered. You will break everything so plan on it!!! Your clutch, tranny, rear, will all be out of your car at some point.

I've got a cam only '02, (421 rwhp) and I just bought a new stg 3 Twin Turbo kit. I'm going to limit boost to keep the power at less than 600 rwhp and have a fat low/mid 11:1 air,fuel ratio to keep things safe. I only drive around 2k miles per year so the bottom end should be Ok for a couple years until I get greedy for more...

If you know you're going to boost anyway, save your money and go straight for the 'blower. If I had to do it all over again I'd have just boosted the car and saved a lot of hassle.

Quick Reply: Heads And Cam Or Supercharger