Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Functional SS hood? I guess not

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how much air do u really think goes DIRECTLY into the ram air box anyways. if u havent noticed theres 4 huge nostrils and a slit about and 1 1/2" tall, u cant really tell me that all of that air is going to make it straight into the air box.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm switching out my airbox set up and am going with the volant cai.

This would work well with my ws6 hood, more efficient than my airbox. 326 rwhp is my 1st tune, i havent tuned the car with the new intake and tb yet
Old 07-18-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

u should post the next dyno results u get, im curiouse as to what your air to fuel is with all those induction mods.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WS6 hoods are nothing more then a styling mod...

... and if you dont believe that, you have alot of learning to do.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 426 Likes on 337 Posts

I did back to tests at the strip on my SS, different lids, hood sealed vs. unsealed, bottom of airbox cutout and I found the best to be the SS hood completly sealed to the airbox (with enlarged hood holes) it's worth 1 mph. A noticeable difference above 80 if you know your car very well. ..................... P.S. I have always out mph'd ws6's with comparable mods. SS's or Z28's are usually quicker due to they have a slight weight advantage over the pontiacs. A good driver can exploit that.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andros
It's not about hp gains on the ram air set up. its efficiency. Its about how much air and how quick it gets to the intake.
There's no reason to the SS hood, its ram air set up is ineffective and just for looks and sacrifices aerodynamics.
Dude come on your making me sick with all this nonsense bullshit that you are saying, just give it up you made a stupid comment and everyone called you out on it......so just give it up your not gonna win!
Old 07-18-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW, this is by far the funniest thing i've read in a while. kinda like this guy here in town, he has a 2002 formula that is NHRA edition. he thinks its the baddest ls1 ever built. WTF??? i guess he thinks its faster cause of the NHRA badges :idunno:

what the hell you doin over in the camaro section anyways? just go back over there with the firebuzzard boys (dont get me wrong, i love me a ws6) and talk to them about how slow our camaro hoods are.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

Last edited by jpat1023; 07-18-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Launching!

I hope that someone from GMs TA design team has read your posts, so they can feel good about knowing the looks alone of their product made at least one person buy the car.

Anyone know how to get ahold of the above referenced Volant Cold Air Container? I'm running the FIPK, and it really needs something to seal the filter off from the engine.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RICEETER
WOW, this is by far the funniest thing i've read in a while. kinda like this guy here in town, he has a 2002 formula that is NHRA edition. he thinks its the baddest ls1 ever built. WTF??? i guess he thinks its faster cause of the NHRA badges.
well u know they do say u can see a 5 RWHP gain for every badge/ sticker.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

hahhaa styling?

dumbass.

that's why the WS6 hood has it straight into the intake unlike the SS hood which is clearly styling and they had to fabricate intricate retarded ducts just to even get the air that enters fromt he middle of the hood into the front and thats almost useless since the air velocity is sacrificed to give it that "awesome" muscle car look back when the scoop was in the middle of the hood when they were carbed and the carb was right there. ahhahahah....

look whos talking about "just for style".

I'm in this forum to say how much better the WS6 hood is to the SS hood which is the one for style.

again its not for hp gains. it's efficiency.

suckaz
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

.....thats almost useless since the air velocity is sacrificed
I don't think that matters much, if it's even true.
These engines work on vacuum for one thing (unless they are supercharged) so forced air is not much of a factor until you get up a lot of speed.
I wonder how fast would you have to go to reverse the vacuum and pressurize the intake manifold? 200 or 300 MPH? Or if that would ever happen.

I think what is a factor is that the air from outside is cooler than when taken directly from the engine compartment. From that standpoint probably both hoods are equal.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:47 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

OMG WS6 FTW!!!

Ram air yo, it's all about efficiency...LOL this thread cracks me up. Neither hood is "efficient" in getting a "ram air" effect. Sure the WS6 might just suck less at it but face it, put a reg firebird hood on your car and a reg Z28 hood on a SS and they'll both run exactly the same.

William
Old 07-18-2006, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I should have just said it like that to begin with. They look good. Both of them.

And if I am not mistaken, doesnt the WS6 hood take the incoming air, and deflect it STRAIGHT DOWN, then forward a few inches then back up and through the filter. The low spot being for water to drain out. That doesnt seem too efficient either. Anyway, just talking to hear myself.

Just like previously put, they dont matter, a stock Z, SS, TA, and WS6 are all the same.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ram air effect of both those hoods is minimal. It's main idea is to get cooler air from outside the engine compartment into the engine and that cooler/denser air will make more power. Not a lot, but it combines form and function. Both look good and both serve a purpose.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:35 AM
Launching!

Im sure there isnt any noticable hp gain, but I am curious to how much if any gain the k&N FIPK system has over the lid set up. Has anyone tested this. And if so what was the difference. Cause I know that my FIPK setup puts the filter right where the air comes in from the hood.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

hahhaa styling?

dumbass.

that's why the WS6 hood has it straight into the intake unlike the SS hood which is clearly styling and they had to fabricate intricate retarded ducts just to even get the air that enters fromt he middle of the hood into the front and thats almost useless since the air velocity is sacrificed to give it that "awesome" muscle car look back when the scoop was in the middle of the hood when they were carbed and the carb was right there. ahhahahah....

look whos talking about "just for style".

I'm in this forum to say how much better the WS6 hood is to the SS hood which is the one for style.

again its not for hp gains. it's efficiency.

suckaz
bwahahahahaha.....
you're either really commited to this joke, or you're really ignorant about cars.

either way, its funny as hell.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beasst8
And if I am not mistaken, doesnt the WS6 hood take the incoming air, and deflect it STRAIGHT DOWN, then forward a few inches then back up and through the filter. The low spot being for water to drain out. That doesnt seem too efficient either. Anyway, just talking to hear myself.

That'd be true if I didnt take out the hood baffles. But I did, and I also put in BGRA to make the inside of the hood more of a str8 shot. Just by thinkin about it my intake set up is qute efficient. When I get my Volant CAI it'll be more effective.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

bwahahahahaha.....
you're either really commited to this joke, or you're really ignorant about cars.

either way, its funny as hell.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

i still havent figured out if hes joking or not.

im actually starting to think hes serious.

Quick Reply: Functional SS hood? I guess not