Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

02 SS vs. 03 Ford Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about the cobra being cheaper. Maybe with a diffirent comp or you have been with the same company for yrs and when you did the switch to the cobra you already got the 6 month prior + insurance discount.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I work for an isurance comp and well i just had to jump in this one. Cars are valued by symbols which start from 1 and go up. The higher the car symbol the more the car is to cover. A 2002 ta is valued at a symobol 22. Now the conv is a 25 which would cost more. Regular v6 is 20 and a conv is 23. Same symbols for camaros. 2003 Mustang cobra is a 26 and the convert is the same. Machs are 25 and GT's are 22 hardtop and 24 conv. and V6 are, 18 and the convertible is a 22. Hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 03cobaleen
Stock for stock from a 40mph roll, the cobra instantly makes the 360hp and 370-380ftlbs and will take the jump. The camaro doesn't. things may even out after that, but the cobra already has the lead when it's stock for stock.

See sig, I have both.
i'm trying hard not to doubt you,but the 360rwhp will only be available at 6000rpm's not instantly,and the dealer price for a 03 cobra was 35k,sometimes you get lucky in purchasing one but most SVT's like the 03cobra hold their sticker price,to become a SVT dealer is different than just being a regular ford dealer and they don't like to go thru the hassles unless they can make money and letting one go on a D plan is unheard of.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:48 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like other people have said it takes a couple bolt ons like a lid,free mods,exaustt,tires,and from a dig
Old 07-27-2006, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by White Cobra
Damn! these Cobras must be awesome cars... but with which mods can a SS or maybe a WS6 beat a Cobra?

What is "from roll" ??
I beat a 04 cobra which had an intake/exhuast/tun

I have a lid/exhuast/tune/ls6 manifold/ and my favorite mod that gets those cobras... my 3200 stall. I got him by about 1 1/2 cars. He's on Mickey Thompsons, Im on Nitto DR's.

He got kinda upset, now he bought pulleys, headers and some other stuff.
But im about to have long tubes/y pipe/cut out installed and also my tr 224/224 112lsa cam then a retune.... so i still might have one up on him.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
Y am i a dick for giving my own opinion???? i didnt say at anytime their crappy cars or slow or anything, i just said things are i can plainly see
Ok lets have a look shall we

buying a 03-04 cobra to me is like buying an already modded car..
WTF are you on???? I'm sure you are just trying to be a clever **** and claim that supercharging is cheating????

Well guess again, superchargers have been around since the 1920's and it's common practice.

Plus FI is just a way of getting a bigger effective displacement without actually having a physically larger displacement engine. So a smaller engine with boost is like running a larger one with out.

Different solution to the same question.

If you think FI is cheating, then running a larger engine must also be cheating!!!!

.. who the hell wants one?
Well quite a few, they are very collectable and sort after.

also they look excatly like the v6 mustangs all the chicks have....
Yep in the same way a F150 looks just like a Dodge Ram

The 03/4 Cobra has unique front and rear bumpers and bonnet, wheels and boot spoiler. In fact a z/28 or Formula looks more like V6 fbody's than the Terminator looks like a V6 Stang.

and they are more expensive
They are newer numnuts. Half the extra cost is due to age. Plus they where limited edition. and in all an 03 Cobra with all the options would have cost not much more than a 02 SS or WS6 with all the options.

AND if u use the saved money from not buying the cobra, u could mod the camaro with couple thousand u saved, and beleive me, see who wins that race...... HAHA
This is the most stupid childish comment yet and is precisley why you are a dick.

"well I could by a beat up rust bucket for $200 and spend a couple a thousand on it and total kill your Fbody/Mustang/Corvette/Viper/Sapce rocket"

Grow up!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdawgs94z
i'm trying hard not to doubt you,but the 360rwhp will only be available at 6000rpm's not instantly,and the dealer price for a 03 cobra was 35k,sometimes you get lucky in purchasing one but most SVT's like the 03cobra hold their sticker price,to become a SVT dealer is different than just being a regular ford dealer and they don't like to go thru the hassles unless they can make money and letting one go on a D plan is unheard of.
The Cobra's power comes on waaaaaaaaaay before that man
Old 07-28-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There may be lots of torque down low, but because:

HP = torque x rpm / 5252

It means the higher in the rpms the torque band can be held the more HP. So PEAK HP will generally be high in the rpms.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have a cobra and kinda envy them for having a blower already, but i'll jump in. With a roots blower the power is there right away (crazy torque), my FI 3800 with a Eaton M90 will smoke the tires instantly into 3rd, it lags up top. The simple fact is FI is the way to go, a few bolt ons and a pulley swap later is a big deal. Still not a Cobra guy, but they are badass cars.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Ok lets have a look shall we

WTF are you on???? I'm sure you are just trying to be a clever **** and claim that supercharging is cheating????

Well guess again, superchargers have been around since the 1920's and it's common practice.

Plus FI is just a way of getting a bigger effective displacement without actually having a physically larger displacement engine. So a smaller engine with boost is like running a larger one with out.

Different solution to the same question.

If you think FI is cheating, then running a larger engine must also be cheating!!!!

ok fine so my argument about the modding them and seeing who wins is stupid and an old argument, fine.... also im right they cost more, and insurance is more, there are also a hell of a lot or mustangs aroudn here and i can never tell which ones are which until i read the back bumper... but fine that might be a bad argument,

but the comment abotu bein already modded ill stand by forever, my friend put on a pully,intake and exhaust on his cobra, now hes got 450 RWHP, to me 3 hours worht of work to get that? means he didnt do any work in reality,to me its pretty much he bought it liek that, so im also guessign ur the type of person who gives their car to a shop and says supercharge it and dosent care what needs to be done to get it finished, but just wants to drive it around. im not liek that and if ur on this site it usally means u want to knwo how to do it urself, just like how i wouldnt buy an ls1 with all the mods already done. and the argument that supercharging is cheating where the hell did u come up with me sayign that????????? i have a fricking turbo charger being installed on my car
Old 07-28-2006, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hobb3s
The Cobra's power comes on waaaaaaaaaay before that man
not according to fords SVT engineers.it might feel like it is really puuling with the torque but the full hp is up there in rpms any way the SVT are gone after this new cobra.http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109512

Last edited by jdawgs94z; 07-28-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

i saw one stock 04 cobra on track here this summer, se vent a 12.45/12.54,
its realy cold here in iceland.. that may be good for forced cars like the cobra.. anyway.. it smoked the F bodys
Old 07-28-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, this thread is getting really amusing, lol.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

I started a war with this thread. ^^ Really hard to see which arguments are better and have F-Bodys a chance? Some say yes and some say no...
Old 07-29-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

since we're talking stock for stock, the cobra wins
Old 07-29-2006, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
i ran one about a week ago and we were basically even. All i have on my car is headers, true duals, air lid, and an LS6 intake and since my car is a vert (which is a Lil heavier then a coupe) and i am on 18's with subs in the trunk I am sure your car would beat one with the same mods considering my car is probably quite a bit heavier
HEAR HEAR~I'll drink to that ! Most late model cobra's have the smaller blower pulley~chip~& exhaust , so I salute you sir, you have one fine runnin Z. Keep up the good work and don't let some ******* jerk no it all tell you any different, especially since he wasn't there !
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SSPEEDY
since we're talking stock for stock, the cobra wins

Yeah i see: That is fact!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hobb3s
Actually, you're not giving them enough. Equal drivers in each car and the win goes to the Cobra hands down. And once you start modding the Cobra, the LS1 really doesn't stand much of a chance.
Yea but guys the cobra is a blower car. Lets remember that. They are badass cars but it has a blower
Old 08-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CChatter9
Yea but guys the cobra is a blower car. Lets remember that. They are badass cars but it has a blower

Let's not forget the ls1 has 346ci. They are badass cars, but they have 346ci.

See how that statement means nothing?
Old 08-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by CChatter9
And the LS1 has an extra 1.1L of displacement... so whats your point?

Quick Reply: 02 SS vs. 03 Ford Cobra