Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

so my SOM SS is 1 of 13

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmiSizzzle
So, I'm confused are these cars, an investment, or are they personalized, with go fast parts that void the Barret-Jackson prices???

it all depends on the buyer. barret-jackson just sells them....all you have to do is have a lot of papers on the car and justify saying that it's rare and some idiot will blow millions on it just to outbid the a-hole next to him. unfortunately, said 'idiots' are the ones that set the values for these cars on down the road.

my car is pretty highly modded, but not as much as some. PLUS i have every single receipt and every single stock part to put it back together except for the LS6 intake manifold, but those can be bought anywhere...

i paid a pretty penny for my SS and it already had a cam in it, but it was what i wanted, so i bought it. i wanted a stock car, but this one wasn't bad and had all the stock parts, so i compromised and bought it like so many people have to these days....

it's gonna be a LONG time before you see a LS1 car bring big bucks at an auction, unless it's a GMMG car. the 60's era cars were all metal, the first of their kind, a start of a revolution, etc....that's why they are "worth" so much. nowadays, '98+ f-body's are so plentiful and build to such a low standard (plastic, fiberglass, lifter noise, etc...) that they don't have the character or appeal that the oldschool muscle cars have....and they probably never will.

in short, there's no harm in making your used camaro go wheels up at the track and sound like a freight train because it's gonna be a long time, if EVER, before it's worth any more that what was paid for it

[/end rant]
Old 09-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
it all depends on the buyer. barret-jackson just sells them....all you have to do is have a lot of papers on the car and justify saying that it's rare and some idiot will blow millions on it just to outbid the a-hole next to him. unfortunately, said 'idiots' are the ones that set the values for these cars on down the road.

my car is pretty highly modded, but not as much as some. PLUS i have every single receipt and every single stock part to put it back together except for the LS6 intake manifold, but those can be bought anywhere...

i paid a pretty penny for my SS and it already had a cam in it, but it was what i wanted, so i bought it. i wanted a stock car, but this one wasn't bad and had all the stock parts, so i compromised and bought it like so many people have to these days....

it's gonna be a LONG time before you see a LS1 car bring big bucks at an auction, unless it's a GMMG car. the 60's era cars were all metal, the first of their kind, a start of a revolution, etc....that's why they are "worth" so much. nowadays, '98+ f-body's are so plentiful and build to such a low standard (plastic, fiberglass, lifter noise, etc...) that they don't have the character or appeal that the oldschool muscle cars have....and they probably never will.

in short, there's no harm in making your used camaro go wheels up at the track and sound like a freight train because it's gonna be a long time, if EVER, before it's worth any more that what was paid for it

[/end rant]
I'm thinking 30 years from now how much worse off are muscle cars going to be?

Or if they will even still be around. I think the breaking point is if GM comes out with a nuclear powered SS or something.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Viscious
I'm thinking 30 years from now how much worse off are muscle cars going to be?

Or if they will even still be around. I think the breaking point is if GM comes out with a nuclear powered SS or something.
given today's "terror rating" i doubt we'll see any nuclear SS's around
Old 09-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001somws.6
Here is the break down of mine.

With t-tops,manual trans in SOM.

Built 195. Mine was the 2nd SOM built. And ASC's 14th ws6 built.

Line number is 219th bird built.

NICE!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i just called SLP for the fun of it...the guy said they made 349 SOM SS-top cars....mine is 1 of 13 that came with the BFG G-force tires and a 6-speed

i tried to get a less specific number, i.e. how many SOM SS t-top M6 fully loaded (Y2Y) cars there were, but he couldn't get that number....

....but i'll take 1 of 13...

so who all else has a "rare" SOM car like mine?
that makes 2 of us out of 13
2001 M6 ttops M6 here too.

Quick Reply: so my SOM SS is 1 of 13