Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

99 camaro v6 to ls1 questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008 | 04:20 PM

Default 99 camaro v6 to ls1 questions!

my mother gave me her pos v6 auto camaro that now has a cracked block and or heads! the car has been nothing but a pain in the azz from day one. but it has a perfect black on black cloth body. I do not want to do all the work just to put a v6 back in it. i have been trying to find all the info i can about putting a ls1 auto swap in it. I know to find a 99+ doner car for the swap and that i will need a k member,99+ ecu and harness. but is the wiring harness from the v8 car plug and play with my v6? also. with the ecu does it have a imobalizer in it? i have done a few 4cyl to v8 swaps in foxbody mustangs but camaros are a new thing to me. thanks for your help!
Old 02-04-2008 | 01:26 PM

anyone?
Old 02-04-2008 | 01:36 PM
Teching In

going to be doing the very same thing in a few weeks
Old 02-04-2008 | 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

fullthrottleV6.com has a conversion section. Good information
Old 02-05-2008 | 01:33 AM
Teching In

If you're going with a relatively new motor or a crate motor, I would suggest scrapping the LS-1 idea and use an LS-2. You get more power, expanded computer tunability, and it's exactly the same external dimensions as the LS-1, with the same motor mount locations, accessory mounts, everything. The only reason I say this is that to swap to the LS-1, you'll have to get a new ECM and gauge cluster anyway (and I'll say with about 90% certainty that the gauge cluster will be a necessity). From there, it's really not that big a stretch to go LS-2. If you have questions regarding that particular swap, I'd ask Jason at Katech (they're a sponsor; www.katechengines.com). It's cheaper to use a wrecked car's drivetrain, but I was throwing a hypothetical out there.