Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater outlet ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 02:58 PM
Launchin It!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater outlet ?

I had to cap off the heater outlets because of A-frame clearance. What is a good alternative to plumbing those? I thought about making a 1 1/4" billet plate between the thermo and pump, tapping it with the 3/4" hose fittings out the bottom. Other people have retapped the water pump, but that does not look strong enough.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Heater outlet ?

Unfortunately that won't work..... the back of the thermostat blocks off a bypass in the pump. Is there enough room to remove the original nipples and put in 90's?
Old 10-11-2003, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

remove you thermostat and you will see what I mean.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Launchin It!

Nope, to tight. I've already capped the holes. How about a tube in the lower radiator hose with inlet and outlet ports. Something like muffler pipe.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm I wish I knew a good answer on this one. If you hooked it to the two radiator hoses it would only flow when the thermostat is open..... I see no reason why you couldn't tee off the outlet of the pump ( top hose ) for the inlet to the heater core, but you need to get it back in aft of the thermostat or the thermostat will block it from flowing. Preferably you would want it to come back in so it flows over the thermostat before going back to the impeller. I know I keep saying what won't work and not what will.... I was looking at my old water pump, and I can see why you would be worried about trying to tap it. Maybe someone else will chime in with an idea
Old 10-12-2003, 09:15 AM
Launchin It!

I noticed S & P makes a $18 radiator fitting with one hose outlet. I guess that might work or I could have them make me something. I'm not to worried about not having heat before the thermo opens, older vettes seem to heat up pretty good without a heater. It was a design flaw that GM never fixed. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Heater outlet ?