Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1966 Nova...LS1 Install...Pictures Inside.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy-art
Awesome build, nice details.

Thanks....

T,
Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome build
Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BBPanel
Thanks Tom - if I'm not mistaken Checkered sends out 500 # springs and this was even after I questioned them about the lighter LSx, etc. I have a feeling I'll be changing mine out. -Bob
Update,
Bob, I had to change to the 500 pound springs to get the a-arms parallel to the road, seems the 300's didn't like the 2" drop spindles too much.

Have about 5K miles on her now, did the Hot Rod Power Tour this year, got an average of 24 mpg, when I could keep my foot out of it.....

My best mileage was 28.7 on one leg of the trip, couldn't believe it....had to check it 3 times......these LS motors are great.....

T,
Old 09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TomM
Update,
Bob, I had to change to the 500 pound springs to get the a-arms parallel to the road, seems the 300's didn't like the 2" drop spindles too much.

Have about 5K miles on her now, did the Hot Rod Power Tour this year, .....

T,
Still don't have mine on the road yet. Curious what the ride quality is w/the 500# springs. Mine doesn't seem to hardly have any give at all when I push on the fenders. I'm running the dropped spindles as well. Thanks. -Bob
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Guess I should have clarified, I am running the single adjustable coil overs.....no porpoising, the ride is good, can't say what it would be for a regular spring and shock combo....

T,
Old 09-15-2010, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the car and the swap..congrats on the clean engine too...going to get a cover for the fuze boxes tho? and i love that you can actually get to all 8 friggin sparkplugs!!!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks, those fuse boxes are going to get replaced........going to change to one like Chevy406 did, all in one, with built in covers.

T,
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM

Nice car....can you tell me if you kept the rear suspension stock or if you installed a rear subframe. I installed the Hiedts front subframe and am looking at the new Heidts/TCI rear torque arm suspension kit. Any suggestions for rear suspension?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Greg66Nova
Nice car....can you tell me if you kept the rear suspension stock or if you installed a rear subframe. I installed the Hiedts front subframe and am looking at the new Heidts/TCI rear torque arm suspension kit. Any suggestions for rear suspension?
Stock leaf springs with 8.2 posi, 3:55 gears........no wheel hop, and hooks good enough......

No rear subframe yet, but it's coming...... IMO, I would look at DSE for the rear. Pretty sure you can use any rear end with it.... the torque arm is solely for a 9" right now.

I am building a 66 Nova wagon, and am going to install a Heidt's 4-link, on an 8.2 rear end......should handle okay, so that would be another choice....depends on how hard you plan on pushing your car. I have no desire to corner carve, mostly cruisin, with a "romp on it" every now and then..

T,
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

My 67 wagon has a Checkered 4-bar in it with a mini tub. The motor is, of course, an LQ4 with LS3 heads.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Hey Tom,

Were you able to fit a stock starter around the S&P headers or did you have to go with a mini-starter? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NovaKid
Hey Tom,

Were you able to fit a stock starter around the S&P headers or did you have to go with a mini-starter? Thanks!
Fit right in there with the stock starter no problem. Actually the lower a-arm bolt on the Heidt's front end is less than a quarter inch from the header, but it clears.......headers dropped right in from the top......

T,
Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Tom made his Nova into a "Perfect" Nova with the upgrades he put into it.......Great Job!!

Ken
Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Tom made his Nova into a "Perfect" Nova with the upgrades he put into it.......Great Job!!

Ken
Thanks Ken.......I got all excited when you redid the 66 of yours, I'm thinkin, yeah baby another LS swap....although, after seeing your 66, you did the right thing by not cutting up a very original car......have fun on the Power Tour with her, not gonna make it next year.....

T,
Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Hey Tom, I read through this thread and your other one over at steves. Maybe I missed it, but what brake switch are you using (or would recommend with the techrods harness)?

BTW, beautiful work! love the wagon over on steve's.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

85 Monte Carlo with cruise control. Any switch that has the same barrel with cruise will work.

Thanks for the good words on the wagon, it is a fun build.....

T,
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whats the chance of some pics of the fuel system? I did a similar set up as yours in my 95 TA conversion, so I think I understand, but wanna make sure.

Starting a 64 Malibu SS....

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

...also, nylon wire loom? Is that what that stuff is. Like it much better than the split loom.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 216 Posts

Have a heidt 4 link and Superide in my 67 Nova SS.

Here's my.02 after driving for 4000 miles. First year LS1/4l60E and this year stroked LS2 427/4L60E.

It pulls straight from a dead stop. No traction untill shift out of second. Doesn't hop or jump. Very fun.

Due to the four link bars, poly bushings on both ends it's a limited in any kind of articulation. Very noisy at low speed on off camber turns. No way to lube unless you dissassemble.No grease zerks. This winters project is new 4 link bars with Johnny joints on one end. Upsize the 1 inch 4 link bars to 1.25 inch bars.

Rear shocks that come with the kit are IMO marginal. I replaced mine with Afco double adjustable 5" stroke. HUGE difference to the positive. If I considered Heidt on a new build I would buy it without the coilovers. In the front with the Heidt Superide I had to do as Tom did and upgrade to 500 lb springs.The front 3/4 inch sway bar is not great or upgradeable.

In hind sight I believe the Superide front and the current Heidt four link is kind of a "street rod" setup.It's a Sunday crusier and sit in your lawn car at the car show deal. Looks good, built to a price with very limited upgrades.No sway options. No coilover options. No documented real world testing that I've been able to find.

No rant just live and learn as I have built the car.Hoping to save fellow car builders time and money.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBiz
Whats the chance of some pics of the fuel system? I did a similar set up as yours in my 95 TA conversion, so I think I understand, but wanna make sure.

Starting a 64 Malibu SS....

Thanks!
Basically a Corvette filter regulator back at the tank, then hard line to the front combined with some braid to finish it off. I attached a picture.

Originally Posted by TheBiz
...also, nylon wire loom? Is that what that stuff is. Like it much better than the split loom.
Got the loom from Jegs, went ahead and bought the kit, enough to do at least two cars.

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
Have a heidt 4 link and Superide in my 67 Nova SS.

Here's my.02 after driving for 4000 miles. First year LS1/4l60E and this year stroked LS2 427/4L60E.

It pulls straight from a dead stop. No traction untill shift out of second. Doesn't hop or jump. Very fun.

Due to the four link bars, poly bushings on both ends it's a limited in any kind of articulation. Very noisy at low speed on off camber turns. No way to lube unless you dissassemble.No grease zerks. This winters project is new 4 link bars with Johnny joints on one end. Upsize the 1 inch 4 link bars to 1.25 inch bars.

Rear shocks that come with the kit are IMO marginal. I replaced mine with Afco double adjustable 5" stroke. HUGE difference to the positive. If I considered Heidt on a new build I would buy it without the coilovers. In the front with the Heidt Superide I had to do as Tom did and upgrade to 500 lb springs.The front 3/4 inch sway bar is not great or upgradeable.

In hind sight I believe the Superide front and the current Heidt four link is kind of a "street rod" setup.It's a Sunday crusier and sit in your lawn car at the car show deal. Looks good, built to a price with very limited upgrades.No sway options. No coilover options. No documented real world testing that I've been able to find.

No rant just live and learn as I have built the car.Hoping to save fellow car builders time and money.
Wound up selling the Heidt's for the very reasons you mentioned. Went with leafs for now, going to use a Church Boy's Racing triangulated 4 link when he gets it finalized, very soon. I sold this car last year, it now lives in San Diego...the wagon is almost done.

T,
Attached Thumbnails 1966 Nova...LS1 Install...Pictures Inside.-filter-regulator-copy.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1966 Nova...LS1 Install...Pictures Inside.