Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1937 Ford LS2 Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken,...the car looks great! From the pictures, it looks like every thing is falling into place, and it shows how much thought you have put into it. I wish I had your fabrication skills, and especially your shop and tools! LOL.
Now, at the risk of hurting your feelings, I have to question a couple of your choices. First, that 8" Ford rear axle. I'm not even sure there is a posi-traction type differential available for that rear axle, and if there is, they have a very limited gear selection. Why not use a 9" axle, or even a later 8.8 out of a Mustang or something. Just my .02 cents worth. Also,..unless you are the kind of guy that just likes to cruise or you just like to put on a smoke show and show everyone how much power you've got on tap by spinning your tires, you"re going to wish you had used a different rear suspension system. If you put any kind of tire on there that will hold the kind of power you will be making, I can almost guarantee you will not like those rear springs.
Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I really like the car and I can't wait to see it at the shows. I just hate to see a guy have to redo a really nice finished car. Ron
Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

I understand Exactly what you are talking about....I have gone thru my "Tire Smoking" days and they are behind me.....The 8" Maverick rear will be fitted with a mid to upper 3 series ring and pinion w/posi and Disc Brakes.......I know what you are saying about the stronger rear, but, I'll never get enough tire under the car to where I should have to worry about breaking it....."And"......they are the perfect width rear for a 37.........the leaf spring set-up, although "Not" high tech, "Is" a great riding simple option........been down the Coil Over road and hitting the correct spring rate is a PITA......I'm just building a "Neat" old Car that will go down road....Need to get there in comfort and dependability.....Next years Power Tour Car.......

Last edited by kwhizz; 08-02-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't get too much done in the last week.....brought all the sheet metal down to the shop, I had the fenders, etc.....stripped back in 2000 and they have been sitting in the basement and had a little surface rust on them.....after talking to M22Mike and Grady at the Nova Nat's I was informed about Acid Etching.....So...I have been cleaning the sheetmetal back to as "Stripped" condition.........Great Tip......I'll post some pic's next week....
The only problem with this basically Rust Free car....is that sometime in it's past, the original fender welting was removed (A Cushion between the Painted surfaces for the bolted on parts) and someone used a Fabric type material that retained Moisture and caused some rust in these areas......So...I need to repair these areas as I re-install the Sheetmetal for final fitting and Radiator placement....Simple stuff.....just time consuming

Ken
Old 08-02-2009, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice project! I went with the IFS as well in my '52 Chevy truck. I am in the process of welding in the front cross member. I picked my LQ4 6.0 last week.

1937 Ford  LS2 Install-100_1571.jpg

1937 Ford  LS2 Install-100_1572.jpg
Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good !! Is that Vintage Air? I'm using a Gen2 Super Cooler and Sanden 508. I'd like to know what you're doing for the AC tie to the computer.

I'm doing a 1958 Volvo which is about like a mid 40's Ford. It had an X frame too. I took it out entirely and made a tranny crossmember that can resist frame torsion (somewhat). I back halved and channeled the car. I used a Heidt's M2 front end but ended up narrowing the same crossmember you have there almost 6". I had to notch for the PS rack fittings and will be soon notching for the AC compressor.

I love the fab work.

I've got a 2 door sedan (1942) sitting around for someday. It will be a mild one too kinda like what you're talking about but not so finished. Probably my 12 year olds first car.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good !! Is that Vintage Air? I'm using a Gen2 Super Cooler and Sanden 508. I'd like to know what you're doing for the AC tie to the computer.

I'm not that far along to know "IF" it will be tied in to the Computer......All the Harness's are at Speartech waiting their turn in line for modifications.......I'll let you know how it all plays out......

Ken
Old 08-03-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work
Old 08-03-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Started mounting the sheetmetal today.....Aligning the front end on a 37 is a real treat......starts with the inner fender panels and you have to work up from there and I need to get everything to fit with the Hood......Here's a shot with everything loosely bolted together.....This fitup is what makes or breaks a 37.......

Ken
Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking GOOD! Got any pics of the completed chassis without the body on it? I just got my motor mounts done (same style as yours) and the first part of the transmission mount.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Yep..............

Ken
Here's my '68 Biscayne, back in the day. 427/425, 4 spd, 4.10 gears. It was a Beast. One of the most fun cars I've ever had.

By the way, I have a Maverick 8" in my Studebaker. 3.80 gears with Trac Loc. Perfect width and seems to do the trick for what I need. Has even held up to some abuse at the track. Street tires are my safety valve.

Pat
Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1936 LS1
Looking GOOD! Got any pics of the completed chassis without the body on it? I just got my motor mounts done (same style as yours) and the first part of the transmission mount.

Nope!!.............Haven't taken the body off the frame yet....I want to get all the everything fitted, then I'll pull it off.........I also want to get rid of the stock Ford rear crossmember , I'll fab a tubular one for the shocks at that time......also to get more room for the exhaust to go over the rear axle housing.........

Ken
Old 08-04-2009, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
Here's my '68 Biscayne, back in the day. 427/425, 4 spd, 4.10 gears. It was a Beast. One of the most fun cars I've ever had.

By the way, I have a Maverick 8" in my Studebaker. 3.80 gears with Trac Loc. Perfect width and seems to do the trick for what I need. Has even held up to some abuse at the track. Street tires are my safety valve.

Pat

Not to change the subject....but.....Love your Biscayne......Mine had a 3.90 with a close ratio.....Car was Insane, but....I couldn't drive any distance.....changed the rear to a 3.08 and put in a Super T-10 with a 2.88 first gear.....I can now drive anywhere, but the trans is now the weak link (2.88 first gear is only rated to 325 lbs of Torque)......By the way I'll be in Reno for HAN...staying at the Atlantis.....hope to get over to the A&W and meet you guy's......

Ken
Old 08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I had the Biscayne it was my daily driver. Drove it every day year around in Omaha! Cruising down the Interstate at 70 @ 4000 RPM. Gas was cheap back then...

Sent you a private message with cell # so we can hook up at HAN

Pat
Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just got home from Hot August Nights.........Now it's time to get back to work on the 37.........
Here's a link to a To of pic's from HAN

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...e/0#Post413893

Ken
Old 08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Took some time today to repair a previous "Shoddy" repair of the Hood......37 Fords had a tendency for the Hood "Cracking" in the prop rod area.....and this one is no exception......whoever repaired it in the past did it with Brazing Rod (a couple of pounds worth) and Warped the Hood pretty good......
Here is the straight Passenger side

And the "Warped" side........

Brazing........... (to be cut out)....LOL

Gotta start somewhere.........

Replacing the damaged area.........

I'll finish trimming and add the bottom flange tomorrow

Ken
Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Also"........Talked to John at Speartech today about the Harness he is reworking......I'm going to build the GTO gauge module into the dash and even though it won't be 100% functional...it seems we can get the Speedometer, Tachometer,Temp gauge, Oil Pressure, Trans Shift Indicator,to work....the gas gauge won't work so I'll have to do something else there.....But....I should have it back next week...long before I need it.....LOL

Ken
Old 08-11-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn, you're not a body man. You're an artist. That's nice work.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

nice work......
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Looking good Ken....this will be an awesome ride.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kwhizz
"Also"........Talked to John at Speartech today about the Harness he is reworking......I'm going to build the GTO gauge module into the dash and even though it won't be 100% functional...it seems we can get the Speedometer, Tachometer,Temp gauge, Oil Pressure, Trans Shift Indicator,to work....the gas gauge won't work so I'll have to do something else there.....But....I should have it back next week...long before I need it.....LOL

Ken
Ken,

I considered going with a factory type cluster, too. What's the issue with the fuel gauge?

Quick Reply: 1937 Ford LS2 Install