Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear indicator switch question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gear indicator switch question

Ok, down to the wiring now with my LS1 (93 camaro body)!

My Painless Performance wiring harness instruction manual says this about the gear indicator switch wires:

"Locate the Orn/Blk and Blk/Wht wires in the dash group. These two wires are for the Gear INDICATOR Switch, NOT the Neutral Safety Switch. The ORN/BLK wire needs to be grounded in 'Park and Neutral' and ungrounded in 'Drive.'"

I have a B&M Hammer shifter installed on my TH400 behind the LS1, and the instructions on a TH400 swap for fbodies say to wire the stock purple + dark green wires to the neutral safety switch that's on the shifter, so that is what I did. So what I was going to do was connect the Orn/Blk and Blk/Wht Gear Indicator Switch wires from the Painless wiring harness to the neutral safety switch on the Hammer shifter, since the circuit is open in gear and closed in neutral/park. But the Painless instructions specifically say "These two wires are for the Gear Indicator Switch, NOT the neutral safety switch."

So what should I do from here?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:14 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would recommend that you call painless. But if it were me I would wire it up the way you planned to before. The harness sounds like it needs to be grounded in park and neutral which is exactly what the neutral safety switch does. I don`t know where painless is getting a "gear indicator switch" from, I have never heard of a 4th gen f-body having a gear indicator switch (the LSx based trucks do, but it has a lot more than 2 wires)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by G-Body
I would recommend that you call painless. But if it were me I would wire it up the way you planned to before. The harness sounds like it needs to be grounded in park and neutral which is exactly what the neutral safety switch does. I don`t know where painless is getting a "gear indicator switch" from, I have never heard of a 4th gen f-body having a gear indicator switch (the LSx based trucks do, but it has a lot more than 2 wires)
Thanks for the response. I actually did send an email to Painless's tech email address yesterday. Haven't heard back from them. I'm going to wire that damn "gear indicator switch" wire to the green wire coming off my neutral safety switch.

Cuz I agree with you that it sounds like the signal being sent to the PCM is "is this circuit open or closed?" The purple wire on my neutral safety switch is part of the circuit that goes to the starter solenoid, so I don't want to put the gear indicator switch on that purple wire.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

You might want to make sure that that wire you're going to hook it up to doesn't have 12 volts when cranking, it seems like it would send that voltage to the PCM if thats the case.

Check out this thread, I posted a wiring diagram on how to wire it with a couple of relays. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-question.html

It also says that some people don't use this and have seen no problems.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm...12v to the pcm? I don't think it would do that, but here is the wiring diagram. I'm not so sure now.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

I think I'm gonna leave it disconnected. It's required for the 4L60e to work, and since my TH400 is a mechanical trans (as opposed to the electronic 4L60e), I don't believe this will affect anything.

In fact, the instruction manual says that you can stow the gear indicator switch wire away if you are using a T56 transmission. I'm not using either the T56 or the 4L60e, so I'm going to leave all the T56 and 4L60e wires disconnected (except for the VSS wires which go into the tailshaft of the transmission - I do have the VSS conversion kit for the TH400).

Quick Reply: gear indicator switch question