Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about a swap, OBS chevy or Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about a swap, OBS chevy or Dakota

Ok Ive been thinking about picking up a truck to do a LSx swap into. The essential part of this swap will be cheap and easy.

with that in mind I was thinking about a OBS chevy. Then I thought a Dodge dakota would be great with an LSx motor, but there a few issues I can think of with that swap. Would getting the 4x4 to work with the chevy driveline be a hassle? Im sure I would need to modify the driveshaft to hook the the chevy motor or get or fab some sort of adapter if I decided to keep the dodge trans. Im not sure it would be worth it to keep the dodge trans thought, but it would be a cost saving measure. thats all I can think of off the top of my head, the other issues that would come up with a swap would be there with either trucks. What do you think? would it be just as easy to swap a Lsx into a dodge rather than a chevy?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

I cant believe noones tried this before. I also cant believe its only gotten 15 looks, not much interest in this swap?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

I hope I'm not dumb asking, but what is OBS? That said, I don't think it would be much different between the two. You are putting something in there that wasn't originally designed, so they'll both need similar amounts of modification. A little more info about what you are wanting/plan to do with it would help.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

OBS = old body style. What I mean by that is pre 99

well Im not really sure what I want at the moment, the idea is just an idea at the moment. I guess at first I would be looking for a cheap swap. Reliable DD for little dollars. I guess short term would be getting a truck running and driving with a stock motor. Even a stock 5.3 would be an improvement in either truck. Yes there are issues with either swap, but it seems that the OBS swaps are nearly drop in. With the dodge like I said, I would think the driveshaft/u joint would be different and have the be modified if a chevy trans was used. Im not an expert on 4x4 so I dont know if a different transfer case would have to be used if a chevy trans was used. seems like a dakota with a 5.3 would rip, especially after a few mods, but then again after the cost of the swap I dont know if it would be better off just getting a truck with a 5.2 magnum and modding that. That can make some decent power, but there expensive to mod, the LSx series just makes stupid easy power.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as old trucks.. "OBS" could be considered older generation of any car or truck.. how far back are you considering Old body style !??.. I assume that this is a term that used by Truck guys. Got to speak the lingo for the forum you are on. We GM guys had to learn to speak Ford here too, as many LSx swaps into Ford fox body "Notch" (I had to ask this before, stupid me LOL) and other not GM brands. But with any generation of Older Body Style. There are and can be some simple differences. so.. a better use of information can be helpfull and get more hits for your thread.

But, In any case, there should be no problem swapping any Gen III or IV engine and trans in to any of the so called "OBS" generations.. dating back to the 50's or older..

I have seen someone put a LQ9 with a 4L80E and transfer case into a OBS Suburban, but he did have to use a Ford solid front axle with the Drive on the Left side. You could use an LQx engine with a 4L80e and use a transadapter to mate the trans to your current trnasfercase and then just deal with the drive shaft.

With the prices of the engine and trans, why not get a updated and stronger trans going in your swap. LQ9 (or L92) with a 4L80E.

But information on the year is really helpful. my OBS is a 48 ford F-1... or my 79 Chevy SWB VAN (4x4).

But enough blabbing. I am setting here at work in a boring meeting on the phone !..
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

I guess when I said OBS I meant pre 99 box style chevy and GMCs. I can understand the confusion though. I thought that was standard chevy truck nomenclature, but I haven't been around here very long.

the chvey years I would probally be looking at would be any 98-probably 89 pickup. Probably more towards the older early 90 ones just because there in my price range. I was reading a bout over on performance trucks and there is a guy here that swapped a LSx into a 90 454ss and it seems like a pretty easy swap in a chevy.

as for the dakotas, I would really like the newer 96 to 03 body style, but they may be a bit out of my price range. There are 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder models that would probably go for cheaper, but I havent done enough research on them to know if the other components, rear end, t case, will hold up to the v8. Im also still not sure the cost to do the swap would be worth it in the end. if you go v8 vs v8 the 5.2 had stock 225 and a 5.3 has anywhere from 270 - 295. its 70 hp max for probably a couple thousand at least, but then you would have a motor thats probably just a used cam and some headers away from 350. Im not sure that can be done with a 5.2, especially not fo the price it would probably cost.

Quick Reply: question about a swap, OBS chevy or Dakota