Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Mazda RX7 w/1998 LS1 Installed w/Hinsons LSX Kit Auto Trans.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Mazda RX7 w/1998 LS1 Installed w/Hinsons LSX Kit Auto Trans.....

Hello everyone,

Has anyone successfully completed this conversion?

-1993 FD3s with a 1998 Ls1 and the original 4L60E transmission installed with a Hinsons Supercars kit-

If so could you please provide me with some images of the shift linkages, and how you either fabricated your own or used some GM & Mazda components to make it all work.

I've made numerous requests from the manufacture to please provide me with any illustrations/photos and wiring information(I did receive a bit of assistance with the wiring, but the link that I was directed to is non-functional).

It just seems odd to me for a manufacture to not provide detailed information for the installation of a main conversion which they sell(torque specs are provided, that is all). The manual conversion has detailed wiring information, but nothing for the automatic conversion option.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, but as of yet I haven't been able to find any images for a FD3s with an Ls1 and the original 4L60E transmission installed with a Hinsons Supercars kit.

I've purchased the kit, and have been having a lot of trouble trying to figure out what to do to make this setup work properly. Don't get me wrong, they are nice guys, it's just I am unable to have my simple request for images of the conversion produced. I hope to find it here. By the way it did take roughly 3months to receive the kit, and another 2~3months to receive the "Automatic" conversion drive shaft.....

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry. Can't help you there but i believe this is one of the reasons why many don't recommend them.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:58 PM

New to the LS world as well (in an FD) and seeing what everyones opinion of a better swap company/fabricator to go with.

Doing an auto tranny as well and don't want to end up in the same boat as the original poster.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:50 AM
Teching In

dude, check out www.v8rx7forum.com.

lots of people have done this swap. read through the build threads and you will find everything you need!
Old 09-04-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Rather than sound biased and suggest a manufacturer, read that forum listed above and you can make your choice based on that info.

Good Luck
Old 09-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Teching In

I have a FD that had a 4l60 in it with a LS3 and hinsons kit. It fit great and is very easy to work on. I just put a 418 in it with a th400 and had to modify the torque arm. I have a B&M prostick and it fits nicely in the console area but I have not made something to completely cover it up. I was VERY impressed with the 4l60. It would 60' 1.47 every pass on 16" drag radials. The only problem is it takes some creative programming to make it shift before hitting the rev limiter. I have a driveshaft for you if you need it. I had to change mine out for a th400.