Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible vent solution? Need opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible vent solution? Need opinions...

I have been doing a great deal of searching on www.ls1tech.com and www.pro-touring.com concerning the vent/fuel smell. I saw where most people vent the tank and place a KN filter at the end of the tube. Some people said this worked while others still smelled gas. Can you just run a hard line from your vent and have it tap back into your manifold?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, you'd end up with lower manifold vecuum, since it would see it as a vacuum leak.
If the motor backfired, you could blow up the tank.
You tank wouldend up under vacuumandit would be harder to to pump the fuel out of it.
You couldn't fuel you vehicle with it running.
If it was this simple, do you think the auto makers would use the complex methods they do?
Just use a charcoal caniter like the 70's cars did
Old 12-01-2009, 05:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Modern cars draw a vacuum on the tank, but they do it through the charcoal canister and tap the vacuum from the air filter box. that is why they throw a code if the gas cap is loose.

Stock from the factory my old Datsun vented the tank directly to the air cleaner when the motor was running, but diverted the vent to the crankcase when the motor was off. It had a T'd vacuum switch that diverted the vent automatically.

So I guess you could do what you say, just tap it into the air filter instead of the manifold.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Could be

Originally Posted by UNmolestedTA
I have been doing a great deal of searching on www.ls1tech.com and www.pro-touring.com concerning the vent/fuel smell. I saw where most people vent the tank and place a KN filter at the end of the tube. Some people said this worked while others still smelled gas. Can you just run a hard line from your vent and have it tap back into your manifold?
some of the same people complaining, are using rubber lined/braided hoses. That's pretty much a sure thing, for stink.
Teflon lined hose, and good fitting install practices, will minimize that problem.

Quick Reply: Possible vent solution? Need opinions...