Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS motor in 82-92 3rd gen Camaro

Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS motor in 82-92 3rd gen Camaro

Hello everyone........I got a huge problem. I have a 1982 Z28 Camaro. I recently bought a 6.0L iron block engine. The problem I am having is exhaust. Money is really tight due to the economy and Christmas coming soon. I have the motor in the car, trans installed, and the wiring almost complete. I have cheated a little by using a carb instead of the injection. I am out of money and just want to drive the car. I was told that truck manifolds would work but they dont!!!!!! I want to know if anyone else out there has done this swap and what (if any?????) of the shelf exhaust manifolds would work or a cheap set of headers. I was thinking factory manifolds for a 4th gen camaro or a GTO would work????....... Plans in the future are for a turbo or two......so i dont want to spend a small fortune to get it running this time.... CAN ANYONE HELP ME????????????? Please email me at QICRNUAZ@yahoo.com.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Fbody manifolds will work fine, be sure to get the flange with them so youll have something to build on

3rd gen SBC headers will work if you mod them
Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

I used the stock fbody manifolds. I have the driverside exaust ran between the oil pan and the crossmember(have a spohn tubuler) and joins up with the passenger side one passes by the frame and goes in to a custom Y pipe and through my 4" mufflex system
Old 12-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Launching!

can you cut the manifolds down some and weld 2.5 or 3" tubing to them? thats what i was gonna do until i got the hawks.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

pretty difficult to weld steel tubing to cast iron manifolds though. i'm not a welder, but i dont think you'll get a decent weld that wont leak a lot.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

www.thirdgen.org has an entire forum devoted to this swap, and will have every answer you could ever think of.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM

THANKS HOMIES........I am trying to find a 4th gen manifold as you read this. I read on Thirdgen.org that the 01-02 works the best. I work in an auto shop and the dealer wants almost 500 dollars for new without gaskets.......................thats outrageous so im searching the junk yards tomorrow......work can just deal with me not being there...

Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

4th gen exhaust manifolds are a dime a dozen. Check ebay or the classifieds here.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by QICRNU
Hello everyone........I got a huge problem. I have a 1982 Z28 Camaro. I recently bought a 6.0L iron block engine. The problem I am having is exhaust. Money is really tight due to the economy and Christmas coming soon. I have the motor in the car, trans installed, and the wiring almost complete. I have cheated a little by using a carb instead of the injection. I am out of money and just want to drive the car. I was told that truck manifolds would work but they dont!!!!!! I want to know if anyone else out there has done this swap and what (if any?????) of the shelf exhaust manifolds would work or a cheap set of headers. I was thinking factory manifolds for a 4th gen camaro or a GTO would work????....... Plans in the future are for a turbo or two......so i dont want to spend a small fortune to get it running this time.... CAN ANYONE HELP ME????????????? Please email me at QICRNUAZ@yahoo.com.

if u were to have gone efi wat harness do u go with if money is no prob. speartech??? cuz they have one for tpi 700r4 but mines 350 sbc??? can anyone just tell me txt me at 9562408667 if u have the answer thnx!! asap!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by holloweenss
if u were to have gone efi wat harness do u go with if money is no prob. speartech??? cuz they have one for tpi 700r4 but mines 350 sbc??? can anyone just tell me txt me at 9562408667 if u have the answer thnx!! asap!
Hmmm. Maybe you can try that once more - but this time in English???

To the OP - use F-body exhaust manifolds, they're fairly easy to find so they're cheap. You can build your exhaust back from them for now, then, when money's not as tight, you can work on the turbo setup. Good luck.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 12-12-2009 at 12:22 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS motor in 82-92 3rd gen Camaro