Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS power into 1980 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zamora7
I would really like to take care of everything under the hood before the motor goes in. Now, I don't know if I should get the subframe powdercoated or paint it with some rubberised paintable undercoating I saw at the parts store. The undercoating would be cheaper for now and would allow more money for the fuel system and other stuff that will be needed.
You don't need to spend a lot of money to detail the subframe and stuff under the hood...I did mine with some napa chassis paint and underhood black paint in the can, some krylon, and a whole lot of elbow grease prepping it.

Just take your time and it will come out nice....please don't be one of those guys who drops a nice engine on the 30 year old chassis....you'll hate yourself for doing that.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Regular

You were asking about products for painting the rusty parts, try POR-15. You can Paint Over Rust,excellent product if what you are painting is not exposed to direct sunlight. Just Google it.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
You don't need to spend a lot of money to detail the subframe and stuff under the hood...I did mine with some napa chassis paint and underhood black paint in the can, some krylon, and a whole lot of elbow grease prepping it.

Just take your time and it will come out nice....please don't be one of those guys who drops a nice engine on the 30 year old chassis....you'll hate yourself for doing that.

Oh no, no, no. I'l definately clean it up before I drop the engine in there, but just not sure if powdercoating is in the budget. One thing for sure though, its getting sandblasted to get rid of the 30 year old look.

By the way that looks nice. What springs are you using?
Old 04-28-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What springs are you using?
Stock springs, 1 round cut off each coil, sandblasted, and repainted krylon red
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Keep us up to date, my '81 Z will be undergoing it's lt1/T56 conversion this summer.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smile

Stock springs, 1 round cut off each coil, sandblasted, and repainted krylon red
Hmm, but you are using 5.3 iron block and mine is aluminum. I dont think that would work for me, I'm thinking of using these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-1908F/?rtype=10

Along with these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-KG4515/

Or these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-33996/
Old 04-30-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys seem to be rolling along good. I to have been working as money permits. I had a lot of part's i wanted to install on the chasis before i went up with it. So far i pressure washed the frame, rustoleum, and painted it. Undercoating on the fire wall. Found out i had the adapter plates on the wrong side of the engine(That's why the engine did'nt line up) change the the adapt plates and the engine line up perfect, the 350TH will fit just right, no drive shaft needed. I don't know how to post pic, and its not as detailed as the guy on hear but its clean, and shinny. Ordered a lot of parts dew to selling a old Tarus i had. Also got the pass side floor pan, lower quarter panel, 1' rear sway bar, trunk lid springs, but decided not to try and install the floor pan(im no body man) Will get the paint,and floors done after i get it running.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, but you are using 5.3 iron block and mine is aluminum. I dont think that would work for me, I'm thinking of using these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HSS-1908F/?rtype=10

Along with these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-KG4515/

Or these.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-33996/
That's a good combo, the only problem I have with aftermarket springs is that most of the 2nd gen guys that used them still had to cut some of the coils just to get the front to sit right.

When I got my car my front end was about 2" higher than the rear, it made it uncomfortable to drive. From what I read on cutting stock coils is that one round would be close to a 2" drop in the front, and I didn't have the AC installed, which will be back in the car this go around...so "hopefully" this will get me in the ballpark

Old 05-01-2010, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Found out i had the adapter plates on the wrong side of the engine.
I did that when I started to drop my engine in for the first time, I guess that's a common mistake
Old 05-01-2010, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a good combo, the only problem I have with aftermarket springs is that most of the 2nd gen guys that used them still had to cut some of the coils just to get the front to sit right.

When I got my car my front end was about 2" higher than the rear, it made it uncomfortable to drive. From what I read on cutting stock coils is that one round would be close to a 2" drop in the front, and I didn't have the AC installed, which will be back in the car this go around...so "hopefully" this will get me in the ballpark

I read that too somewhere in here. Well, I might just keep the stock springs then and cut some off as well, which will help the budget a little more.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys seem to be rolling along good. I to have been working as money permits. I had a lot of part's i wanted to install on the chasis before i went up with it. So far i pressure washed the frame, rustoleum, and painted it. Undercoating on the fire wall. Found out i had the adapter plates on the wrong side of the engine(That's why the engine did'nt line up) change the the adapt plates and the engine line up perfect, the 350TH will fit just right, no drive shaft needed. I don't know how to post pic, and its not as detailed as the guy on hear but its clean, and shinny. Ordered a lot of parts dew to selling a old Tarus i had. Also got the pass side floor pan, lower quarter panel, 1' rear sway bar, trunk lid springs, but decided not to try and install the floor pan(im no body man) Will get the paint,and floors done after i get it running.
Well. it seems like your headed the right direction with your project. Mine has some small rust holes on the passenger floorpan as well, nothing major, but thats it as far as rust on the body panels. I need the core support, I think thats what is called, where the radiator sits. That will be fixed as I start going into the interior and done under the hood. Im supposed to be getting a little extra cash next week and the week after, that should help with funds for parts.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I too need the radiator support, i the GoodMark sells a repair kit, cant seem to find the whole thing. I got a lot of parts from NPD! I ordered the hot side for the turbo. If i dont use this Holset truck turbo, i will use it to setup the pipes.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I too need the radiator support, i the GoodMark sells a repair kit, cant seem to find the whole thing. I got a lot of parts from NPD! I ordered the hot side for the turbo. If i dont use this Holset truck turbo, i will use it to setup the pipes.
Well I wasn't looking to bump this thread until I had some pictures, but oh well someone else did it for me.

Anyway, I got a hold of some guy that parts out cars and said he had a few core supports for like $30 bucks but that they werent in the greatest condition either.

By the way, I have ordered some parts. Bushings for: body, sway bar, control arms, core support, along with the 1" back trans dapt plates for the ls1, swaybar endlinks, and tie rod ends. Started taking apart the subframe to get it sanblasted (either I get one and do it myself or pay) and hopefully I can come up with some cash for powdercoating.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see NPD sells the for Camaros, but i dont think they will fit T/As. I too also installed poly body bushing, and Hydro boost brakes. Have no idea what size gauges i need for speed-O, and RPM. I want a A/F gauge, but they are high!
Old 08-18-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Pics of TTA 1981

Did it work??
Attached Thumbnails LS power into 1980 Firebird-0_imag0142.jpg   LS power into 1980 Firebird-0_imag0144.jpg  
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a pic of the Hot side mock up! Im new at this upload thing! The Hot side is done, and painted. The other pic are of how the frame looked after cleaning!
Attached Thumbnails LS power into 1980 Firebird-0_imag0145.jpg  
Old 09-25-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Updates?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Updates?
Actually as far as any work on the car I did some. Everything has been taken apart in the front suspension. I am now waiting for the por-15 that I ordered, UPS fu(%ed it up, so now it will be getting here on thursday at the latest.

Also I already have the whole steering assembly that was ordered through pro-touring fbody, minus the steering box because that thing is expensive. The QA1 coilovers are also in the closet, they are not the greatest but should be good enough for this budget build. I decided on the coilovers because they were cheaper than a spring and shock combo, not only that, pepople are still cutting their springs even if they are lowering springs. I have some 18in wheels that I bought used from a buddy that I want to use on it.

Things that I need to order are the front brakes, still undecided if I should go C6 Zo6 or wilwoods, I will need a proportioning valve, master cylinder, brake booster, make some brake lines, frame stands, and sbc motor mounts.

I had not updated the thread because in reality is not much progress, work is kinda slow and not much money flowing in. I might get a different job here in the next month, maybe then I can go all out with the build.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see NPD sells the for Camaros, but i dont think they will fit T/As. I too also installed poly body bushing, and Hydro boost brakes. Have no idea what size gauges i need for speed-O, and RPM. I want a A/F gauge, but they are high!
I was thinking about hydro boost but those things are very sensitive, you tap the brakes a bit and you are coming to a stop. At least thats how the truck at work feels, and they are quite pricey as well, then no abs would be kinda scarey to get used to. I haven't compared the prices for the hydro boost vs. the brake booster and master cylinder set up but I'm sure its a good amount.

The A/F gauge are way too expensive for the wide band and gauges are one of the last things of my head for the build... I forgot to mention in the previous post that I still need a fuel tank, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel lines. This hobby is expensive, oh well.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's great your still thinking on it. Had a guy give me a price on installing floor pans, but he want me to get sub frame connectors expensive! Installed ZO6 cam, timing chain, push rods(trick flow), and oil pump! Had a lot of carbon build up in the driver side valve cover, so i cleaned the engine best i could, decide to go with a new pump to be safe. Put in 1inch rear sway bar.(Hydro Boost$46) Got all the part for the pull a part early to mid 90's Chevy Astro van has all you need including hose's, if you dont mind doing a little fabbing. I put them on my 82C-10, 87 Grandnational,85 Grandnationl, 85 TType, and now my 81 TTA! Need to add LS6 springs.

Quick Reply: LS power into 1980 Firebird