Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS power into 1980 Firebird

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
That's great your still thinking on it. Had a guy give me a price on installing floor pans, but he want me to get sub frame connectors expensive! Installed ZO6 cam, timing chain, push rods(trick flow), and oil pump! Had a lot of carbon build up in the driver side valve cover, so i cleaned the engine best i could, decide to go with a new pump to be safe. Put in 1inch rear sway bar.(Hydro Boost$46) Got all the part for the pull a part early to mid 90's Chevy Astro van has all you need including hose's, if you dont mind doing a little fabbing. I put them on my 82C-10, 87 Grandnational,85 Grandnationl, 85 TType, and now my 81 TTA! Need to add LS6 springs.
Hydro boost from a Chevy Astro van? I'm going to think about that because the new s#!t is expensive.

On a side note, the weather here in San Antonio has been freaking awesome these last two days, perfect to work on it, but its too bad I got out late both days.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I'm looking for some motor mounts and I came across this.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-62635/?rtype=10

and this,

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-62510/

So does anyone know if this would work? What I don't understand is why one of the frame mounts different than the other?

Or should I just stick to the polyurethane mounts like something from Energy Suspension?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if it had a chevy motor in it, then just bolt the clamshell cups to the motor plates, and get new clamshells on the frame, thats what I did and it fits great......
Old 09-29-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eroc022
well if it had a chevy motor in it, then just bolt the clamshell cups to the motor plates, and get new clamshells on the frame, thats what I did and it fits great......
Well, from what I was told it used to have a 350 in there. What I don't know is which ones to get. Should I get polyurethane inserts for the frame stands (clamshells?) and the motor mounts for a sbc?

If it helps, I already have the trans dapt ls engine adapter plates. Just need the ones that go to the plates/motor and the ones that go on the frame.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Or maybe I can use these too.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-4227/
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as mounts go, I used the adpater plates from a vendor on here Car Shop, and the stock clam shell mounts that came on my 350 chevy to go to the frame, they fit fine!
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as mounts go, I used the adpater plates from a vendor on here Car Shop, and the stock clam shell mounts that came on my 350 chevy to go to the frame, they fit fine!
Well there was no motor on the car when I bought it so thats why I'm looking to buy them new. As far on the frame, polyurethane inserts should be okay, correct? Sorry but I'm a complete noob when it comes down motor mounts and to the old school sbc stuff.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Launching!

id get rid of those transdapt mounts, or fix them so they will allow a drop in, otherwise nothing is going to bolt right in like you want and make it easy, sell those off, get the carshop plates, then get on ebay or a junkyard and find the old chevy motor side clamshell style mounts, then go to autozone/advanced and get the motor mounts that are frame side, you can put the poly inserts in them but its not really needed..... then your motor will drop right in, and ifyou are using an original th350 or th400 your mount will line up perfectly for the transmission, theres one guy on here doing an early 70s camaro build, i followed alot of what he used and its all worked out perfect for me..... makes it easy too.....
Old 09-30-2010, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up a LS1 for my 81 bird last night. So the trans dapt 4595 mounts are 1 inch to far forward?
Old 09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1
Just picked up a LS1 for my 81 bird last night. So the trans dapt 4595 mounts are 1 inch to far forward?
not that they are too far forward, just cheaply made, get the carshop plates... the 1in setback will allow an original trans to bolt into the original holes..
Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Teching In

+1 on the Trans Dapt being cheap..... I had to make a couple of the holes larger on the ones that I ordered....they were the holes that secured the plate to the block, the mount holes were fine.

OP not to thread jack, But I have a question.

I have a question for you all....I dont have an F-body car, but instead a 57 Chevy Truck that I installed a 78 TA clip in....and I am in the middle of installing a 5.3L/4L60E combo. I was just wondering if I were to omit the mount(rubber) that came with the Trans Dapt kit and use the clam shell style would it be ok???

The reason I ask it to make it as convenient as possible, if I remember right were the engines on these cars centered in the crossmember or were/are they set more to the passenger side???

Here is a link to what I have so far....photos on page 3 and 4 let me know what you think.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frog
+1 on the Trans Dapt being cheap..... I had to make a couple of the holes larger on the ones that I ordered....they were the holes that secured the plate to the block, the mount holes were fine.

OP not to thread jack, But I have a question.

I have a question for you all....I dont have an F-body car, but instead a 57 Chevy Truck that I installed a 78 TA clip in....and I am in the middle of installing a 5.3L/4L60E combo. I was just wondering if I were to omit the mount(rubber) that came with the Trans Dapt kit and use the clam shell style would it be ok???

The reason I ask it to make it as convenient as possible, if I remember right were the engines on these cars centered in the crossmember or were/are they set more to the passenger side???

Here is a link to what I have so far....photos on page 3 and 4 let me know what you think.
they are centered, and if you want to go with the original style mount, your plates on the motor are gonna offset things, thats why I reccomend the carshop plates, the mounting holes are a different height than the engine side holes, allowing the correct dimensions for the motor....
Old 09-30-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by zamora7
Well there was no motor on the car when I bought it so thats why I'm looking to buy them new. As far on the frame, polyurethane inserts should be okay, correct? Sorry but I'm a complete noob when it comes down motor mounts and to the old school sbc stuff.
Dont want to lead you wrong, but just about all Chevy motor mounts that hook to the frame, and engine block are the same from about 1970-1990, on everything from pick up trucks to Impalas, any full size car's. Mine are not that hard from being old but I will use them until i got to get more. My engine mount's perfect, and the tran(TH350) is in the exact same spot.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So get rid of the trans dapt plates? What about the Edelbrock plates? I seen these after I bought the trans dapt, and I would like to eventually use their exhaust system as well that supposedly only works with their plates..
Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So I opened up the box from trans dapt and got the mounts and tried them on the frame mounts. Frame mounts are about 1/4" or more wider than the engine mounts that came with the plates, why is that?

Do I need different frame mounts? Or would I have to use them with a trans dapt mount?
Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you have the adapter plates on the right side of the engine, I did that, they bolt up, but did line up! Looked at different engine plates installed, and saw i had them on the wrong side.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Make sure you have the adapter plates on the right side of the engine, I did that, they bolt up, but did line up! Looked at different engine plates installed, and saw i had them on the wrong side.
Well the thing is that I grabbed the mount(the one that bolts to the adapter plate) and tried it on the frame mounts and they were not wide enough to fit on there. Unless I'm missing something, I don't know how they would fit.

Now I was reading something earlier about short and wide, and tall and narrow mounts. Maybe these are tall and narrow and need short and wide. If I can return these to summit since they are not fitting the way they are supposed to, I'm going to get the car shop plates, and all new mounts.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zamora7
Well the thing is that I grabbed the mount(the one that bolts to the adapter plate) and tried it on the frame mounts and they were not wide enough to fit on there. Unless I'm missing something, I don't know how they would fit.

Now I was reading something earlier about short and wide, and tall and narrow mounts. Maybe these are tall and narrow and need short and wide. If I can return these to summit since they are not fitting the way they are supposed to, I'm going to get the car shop plates, and all new mounts.
return them, get the carshop plates, the transdapt take the older 60s size mounts and its easier to get the 70s clamshell setup... cause everything lines up correctly.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I talked to the people at Summit and Trans-Dapt and I'm still where I started. Anyways, I have already tried getting something that would fit the mounts provided with the adapter plates and haven't had any luck. Returning them is not really an option since it has been over 90 days.

I have this.

And this type on the car.

Am I missing something or what other "mount" do I need on my sub-frame? Something like this looks like it would work.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

from the pic it looks like you have everything you need to get the engine bolted in.

Quick Reply: LS power into 1980 Firebird