Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DBW TPS % at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DBW TPS % at idle?

Just finished up intalling an '04 LQ4 into my CJ7. It fired right up and idles OK, but not great. I have installed a cam and shorty headers + air intake so I need to do some tuning to sort out the idle and overall AFR, but I have not started this process yet. The only thing I have done is a CASE learn.

My question is: what is the TPS % supposed to be at idle? It reads at 14%. This does not seem correct to me ?? Should it not be 0%???

Is there some way to "reset" this?

The engine reacts fine to the throttle pedal, but is kind of "nervous".

One thing I need to mention is that the pedal and DBW box is not from the same vehicle as the engine and PCM because the yard I got it from forgot to include this with the engine. The pedal and box was however taken together from the same vehicle, but possibly a newer truck because the pedal is all plastic and I think the '04 is metal/plastic type ?

Any input is greatly appreciated
Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 AM
12 Second Club

I'm pretty sure you should be at 0% at idle. I'm sure somebody will chime in on how to adjustr it
Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I can check later today, but I'm pretty sure I had over 0% at idle.
As for the truck pedals, they're all fairly similar. The TACs need to match the computer. Look up the TAC for your motor on Rockauto and see if it's the correct one. The yard sent me 2 different wrong ones before they just credited me for the price of a new one.
I still have the 2 used ones, let me know if you need one and the PN, I'll see if it matches one of them.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

14% on my stock, 07 5.3, in my Silverado...
Old 04-01-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

5-6%, but I'm only running an alternator and water pump.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

If it was at 0% then it wouldn't be idling because there would be no airflow. DBW TBs don't have any other means for air to get through other than opening the throttle (no IAC, no hole).
Old 04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

OK, so the TPS % in HPTuners scanner is the position of the throttle blade - not the position of the pedal as long as I have a DBW setup. That makes sense since it does not have an IAC.

I am fairly sure that if the pedal and DBW box did not match the computer I would have no engine response when moving the pedal, but it seems to react fine. It is just a little nervous because very little movement gives me a lot of engine response so it will get some time getting used to it.

Cant wait to get the tuning done so I can try the full potential of the engine in this car - It will be a hoot
Old 04-01-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Roar
OK, so the TPS % in HPTuners scanner is the position of the throttle blade - not the position of the pedal as long as I have a DBW setup. That makes sense since it does not have an IAC.

I am fairly sure that if the pedal and DBW box did not match the computer I would have no engine response when moving the pedal, but it seems to react fine. It is just a little nervous because very little movement gives me a lot of engine response so it will get some time getting used to it.

Cant wait to get the tuning done so I can try the full potential of the engine in this car - It will be a hoot
You can tune the pedal to throttle % using a recent HPT beta. So you could have more of less throttle for a given pedal position. HPT has lots of warnings on these tables, but they have been in the public EFIlive versions for a while now and people have good results with it.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My GMPP ECU setup has the TPS set at 14%
Old 04-02-2010, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys.
I am running the public 2.22 version so do not have this feature, but I will upgrade to the 2.23 if I find this pedal reaction issue too hard to drive with.

Quick Reply: DBW TPS % at idle?